• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beginner Air Pistol

These are hard to beat for the price. A lot of bang for the buck.

Surprised this wasnt brought up sooner.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. How many shots can I get from the average charged PCP pistol? shots from one CO2 cartridge?

I imagine accuracy depends in a large part on having sufficient FPS. The main objective with this gun would be to pick off squirrels for my dog, roasted or raw. Would a BB gun be capable of this with less weight at a higher FPS? Not sure if many people noticed, but I am looking for a more classic wooden handle.
On my 2240 I get 30 shots at 15 yards before the impact point drops off. The xl has a threaded barrel for a can. A very versatile gun. Swap barrels to a longer one for a carbine is 15 minutes of work. Parts are cheap. You would not believe the accuracy in this 70 dollar pistol. Plus you will have tons.of support from members here.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. How many shots can I get from the average charged PCP pistol? shots from one CO2 cartridge?

I imagine accuracy depends in a large part on having sufficient FPS. The main objective with this gun would be to pick off squirrels for my dog, roasted or raw. Would a BB gun be capable of this with less weight at a higher FPS? Not sure if many people noticed, but I am looking for a more classic wooden handle.
You'll get about as many shots per charge from the average PCP or Co2 pistol as you'll get miles per gallon from the average vehicle (of all kinds).:unsure:

FPS does not relate to accuracy. Some of the most accurate air pistols are the some of the least powerful.:confused:

You'll pick off VERY FEW squirrels with a spring-piston pistol, but you might manage to MAIM some.😠 No, a BB pistol is a terrible choice for your purposes.😵‍💫

Yes, I noticed your wood requisite. It's another complication in your list of mutually-exclusive requisites; and consequently why few responders acknowledge it.😦

The reason there are no recommendations for "a decent beginner break barrel pistol with a wooden handle capable of squirrel hunting to keep the associated expenses to a minimum that does not need CO2 or a pump / tank for charging" is because no such thing exists.

Sorry if my honesty seems brutal, but it's honesty nevertheless. The word 'no' loses all effect when followed by qualifiers... that invariably precipitate arguments ranging from unnecessary to ridiculous.🤬 In the world called Reality, no means...

NO.🤯

Last edited:
Multi-pump pistols and rifles are perfect for beginners. That is why Crosman manufactures them. Want a plinker? Multi-pump pistol. Want to hunt small game? Multi-pump rifle in .22. Can be purchased at any big box store and they shoot Crosman pellets very well. A cheap multi-pump will outshoot a cheap springer all day long. Plus they are fun!

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Hi, I am looking for some advice on finding a good beginner air pistol. I am not sure if this will become a new hobby, so I would like to keep the associated expenses to a minimum. This would mean a pistol that does not need CO2 or a pump / tank for charging. This would seem to leave break barrel / spring guns as the main category. Thinking of a pistol so that it can easily be thrown into a backpack for covering some ground on foot without the need of a sling. In my search, I ran into the Westlake break barrel pistol as what might be the ideal form factor / size.

Reason for the post is that I believe the Westlake gun may be quite a vintage and not a totally reliable shot out past 20ft. It also does not seem widely available and therefore worth looking at alternatives. Could there be any recommendations for a decent beginner break barrel pistol with a wooden handle? Any general advice or leads for this search would be a boost!
The Crosman 1377 (.177 cal) or 1322 (.22 cal) would certainly be my recommendation. Here is an example of how it can be fitted with a steel breach, moderator, walnut hand grips and carbine stock. Really neighbor friendly backyard starling eliminator.

1377.jpg

1377b.jpg

1377d.jpg