Beginner 1k budget... PCP or Break Barrel?

Aoa has these in 22 for 899. It's shooting 18 jsbs 900 fps. 32 fpe . I think it's a deal.bsa
IMG_20220313_071616.1647394673.jpg

Two votes for BSA, lol. That looks like a very nice one!

I was thinking of the smaller one, so filling wouldn't be a chore, although I bet yours is easy to hand pump too. And the .177 would use less air, too. 
bsa-ultrasebeech177.1647399081.png

Also, I find compact guns like this to just be a TON of fun to shoot and carry. Lightweight, so you don't tire easily of shooting it. They fit in a small case, too. Just alround more pleasurable than my larger/longer guns. 

Reactions: judorichard
With PCP you will need a pump or tank that will take away from the budget, forget that. Order a Weihrach HW97 from Krale in the Netherlands, top it with a Hawk 4-16 side focus scope and stock up on H+N Field Target Trophy pellets. This is the best bargain in airgunning, and will last a lifetime with some fairly cheap replacement parts. Breech seals are like $3, and will need replaced every year or two. Piston seal is a gamble, if it is over lubed it will destroy itself pretty quickly. Mine is still on the original spring and piston seal after 4 years of steady competition, but I have a spare set in closet just in case.

oh shtf .. to me thats a no brainer, you dont want a springer when you want to be stealthy and only want one shot one kill .. its hard to get one gun to cover all scenarios ...if it was only one a prod would be my best option and id put a donnyfl sumo on it and a 4x scope .. its concealable, quiet, accurate, easy to handpump, reliable, will shoot cheap locally available pellets you can stock up on .. ive taken more rabbits and squirrels out with it around here than any other gun i own .. its not a long range powerhouse and there are situations where i want more gun, but theyre few and far between .. i 'dont' want the big guns out unless its necessary .. you could get a couple more later of course ... here she is, ready to go get some squirrel stew back by the coop to go with some eggs -

IMG_20220316_094011.1647438168.jpg

Start with a quality springer. Like a few others on this thread, I suggest the TX200. I would get a .177 though. Best for backyard plinking and target shooting. Plenty of accuracy and power for hunting too. Also, it’s a great foundation to shoot field target or springer class bench rest. Top it with good glass too.

You can get into PCP under 1k, but buying a pump or compressor take away from what you can spend on a rifle and glass. Lots of good beginnner pcp’s out there, but my guess is you’ll be wanting to upgrade quickly. Whereas with the TX200 you have a top of the line air rifle.

I bought 2 springers to start out. Don,t remember the first one, it was really cheap and accuracy was terrible. My second was a Beeman 7R. Great little rifle with the right pellets. I recently gifted the 7R to a new shooter and he is now hooked also. Then a friend sold me his deceased dads Air Arms 400 SL. Man what a difference. Sure it was more money to get the fill tank but I figured "Buy it once, use it forever". I wish I had started with the PCP, could have had more fun and probably even saved some money in the process. As an aside I only tried to fill the AA one time with a pump, I guess I don't have that kind of patience. Just my 2 cents.

You need at least 2K. You will enjoy a Quality PCP with a decent trigger much more than a cheap one. Accuracy with any rifle is directly related to a decent trigger and your control of that trigger. Cheap rifles quite simply do not have good triggers. 

So as a beginner I would recommend a quality pcp and you will need at least 1500 bucks for rifle and scope. 

As for air supply this is subject to perhaps laws in your area, and perhaps not. However the cheapest solution for air is a 6000 psi Nitrogen tank and around 300 plus for a regulator for it. It costs me 165 bucks for yearly rental and 60 bucks per fill or trade and I have to transport the tank and go get a new one. I get a lot of fills out of one tank. How many? Never counted but lots, I go trade it when it hits 4000 psi. This beats expensive compressors and you do not have to worry about it dying in less than a year which most do if you actually use it much. 

Nitrogen is clean, dry and safe. However some welding companies will not rent to you if you live in a sub division or someplace where high pressure gas is prohibited, so you will have to check local laws. 

You can also pick up something like an HW97 which is also expensive as a second option as its the one springer that is not very hold sensitive and is user friendly to a beginner. Then you can decide which you like. Just be aware this is a heavy rifle, around 12 pounds with a scope. One of the reasons it is accurate and it has a fantastic trigger. 

Keep in mind that cheap PCP rifles are difficult to sell if you do not like them. However a quality pcp retains it value and is easy to sell. 

Above all whatever you do decide to purchase, go research it for a couple hours a day for several days. Read reviews, visit forums, etc and find out about that rifle and how happy people are with them. In the mix you will find any negatives also.

Just some thoughts to ponder over. 

Cheers

Kit

I started with springers, kept my 2 favorites. R9 177cal and rws34 22cal. Moved to co2 rifles kept my most favorite. Mac1 QB22 (those were built using HW barrels and tuned by Tim back in the day. Hot summers day can hit 20fpe). Then moved to the PCP. Lastly....as of a couple of weeks ago very good friend gave me a 1972 Sheridan blue streak 20cal for my 50th birthday. That I'm really enjoying back yard plinking with..

So I guess what I'm saying is... doesn't matter what power plant...try them all.. keep your favorites. Just remember that each shoot differently. Springers have their own personality that take awhile to learn. But once you do a Springer can be quite accurate at a given distance. Just have fun and enjoy the hobby/sport airgun life!

Most everyone above covered 100% of things to consider. The guys that have advised you ahead of me are who I consider to be “the voice” of advice when it comes to topics like these as I’ve seen them advise others before you with the same suggestions and considerations.

The little I’m going to add is, if it’s extreme hole in hole accuracy you seek, trying to get that out of a springer can get frustrating, and I can 100% guarantee a springer out of a big box sporting good store, the ones that come with a scope, are NOT going to give you the results you seek(hole in hole or close to it)

If it’s the hole in hole(I’ll call this a level 10) to say clover leaf groups out to 30-50 yards(level 6), that you seek, then go with a pcp in the mid to upper tier range.

if you’re ok with 3/4” groups at 30-50 yards(level 5), then get a good quality, German made springer or gas ram, or entry level pcp.

If all your wanting to do is hit soda cans with the kids out to 20 yards and are content with hitting the O in Coke,(levels 1-3 at best) then the box store springers are all you need.

lastly, if you’re thinking this’ll for sure be a hobby you’ll stick with and you have decided to go the pcp route, consider RADEN1942’s advice to first take care of your air supply costs first, especially if jumping to a compressor. The guns will be there. Too many times I see guns being bought first, then before long the owner has advanced to a gun that requires fill pressures that make hand pumping a really big ordeal, like 230 bar and up. It’s at that point you’ll be wishing you had a quality Compressor to feed these guns. Think about it

I tried PCP airguns a few times now, and every time, I spent more work on getting ready than actually shooting.

A decent PCP air rifle will run ya most of that $1000. And a decent compressor (not one of those that require an ice-bucket, no thank you) is another $1000+.

Then add a carbon fiber tank or two, another $1000. A decent Hill pump is another $200+. Plus adapters, spare parts, etc.

Please will say "oh, ya only need a $50 pump, or one of those 250 dollar compressors and a cheap gun and a cheap scope to fit that $1000."
Yeah, if ya want to be frustrated wasting your money. :/

Nah, grab my break-barrel, ammo, and go. I don't hunt, and nearly all my targets are 25Y or less, so my "needs" may differ.

All I need right here to have fun all day long and still make sub-1" groups of 10.
gamocrosmantargetday002.1648708643.jpg

A better shooter can do even better of course. But eh, about any gun will make sub-1" groups at 25Y.

If I really want to push the accuracy, here's another single-stroke rifle, no extra gear needed.
Designed as a 10M gun, but single-hole groups at 25Y. Low power tho', I wouldn't hunt with it.
daisyavanti753s_jan2021a.1648708794.jpg

For general backyard plinking, even this $25 Walmart special does great.
winchester1100SS_HNfttpellettest002.1648708895.jpg

Nah, I won't be getting back into PCPs unless my situation changes that I "need" one, or suddenly I have $3-4k around I don't need for something else. Which is unlikely. :)

#pdxfrank

Hello everyone!

New too the forum today and so far the help has been great and I really appreciate it. I'm looking for an air rifle that I can use for backyard shooting as well as medium to small game hunting. As I've researched into all the options I lean towards PCP but I'm not entirely sold. My budget is about $1000 which would need to cover pretty much everything. I don't know much about this stuff so any advice is appreciated.
1000 is going to be tough for a decent gun, scope and air fill source. But it can be done. Air Venturi Avenger, Hand pump and Vortex scope!

No question about it,

for the same price ( included a handpump,....don't let people stear you away from handpumps, remember you still need to basically pump your springer every shot too, better in my opinion do all the pumping at one time )....anyway, for the same price you get sooooo much more gun with a PCP, so much more, not even close.

Reactions: Trgt_acqd
Lets just put it this way ;

pick your High end springer of choice, lets say something in the 600-800 bucks range,

Now pick a PCP of the same caliber to much that price minus 50 bucks for a handpump ( truly nowadays there's no need to spend 200 for a HILL )
.......now detune the PCP to the same power of that springer, you will end up with a gun that most likely will translate to a shotcount that will be very close to one pump per shot, ( at that point it clearly will be more easy to pump your gun all at once rather then break the barrel every shot ) ....you will also end up with a non sensitive gun that will translate in more easy to shoot precisely, most likely the gun will have a magazine making it way more fun to shoot rather then breaking the barrel and shove a pellet in the breach every time,...most likely you will have a lighter gun and most likely shorter, most likely you will have a quieter gun with the option to make it even more quiet,

I like springer when I need a challenge but PCPs are superior on every respect.

.....Now if we go further ( this of course will need more pumping per shot ratio ) PCPs can be vastly more powerful then springers if hunting bigger game is in the books, also translating in Better precision at longer distances.

If you can tolerate cheap feeling and lower quality stuff and like to tinker then go the budget priced plastic PCP and Chinese compressor. Might as well put a cheap scope on it too and you can still do it under $1000 even if you spend $120 on a moderator to keep the noise down. Eventually something will break or you'll want to upgrade so you'll spend more down the road. In spite of my negativity these kinds of guns do shoot well.

Or get a quality German springer, probably a Weihrauch HW95 for a full size gun or an HW30 for something less powerful, quieter and much easier to cock. The best buys are when someone ethical (good feedback) is selling their used but "tuned" gun with upgraded springs and internals - these will smooth the gun out and eliminate the "twang" many factory stock guns will have. You can do this yourself if you study You Tube videos and are handy but otherwise figure $250 for someone like "John Thomas Airgun Tuner" for parts and service.

Good quality springer scopes are challenging to find since the springer will be harder on scopes because of their forward and reverse recoil - most firearms scopes are built only to withstand reverse recoil (into your shoulder) and glass will start coming loose in those cases! So do your research and get a springer rated scope. The other thing is you need proper scope rings or a mount that have a recoil pin in addition to the dovetail mounting clamps. The pin engaged with holes in the spring gun's receiver to secure the scope from moving.

Sounds hard but basically buy what good shooters are using and what looks like good quality to you. $1000 is plenty for a top notch springer set up that will last a lifetime plus. It will not be as easy to shoot as a PCP since most springers are hold sensitive and it's harder to have that boring consistency but nobody disrespects someone who can shoot a springer well. After a couple thousand pellets you will be a decent shooter, don't worry, just be smart how you approach it.

Finally IMHO .22 pellets are the most efficient in either PCPs or spring guns, they are a bit larger and easier to handle than .177 and not much more expensive. Most guns require some experimentation to find which brand, design and especially weight of pellets works best but you can usually pick up clues from gun tuners or online "experts".

Second finally, you have to treat all airguns like firearms and develop good safety habits. You can accidentally kill people with even the lowest power airgun, not that you should be paranoid but think first. The lead is mostly inert but when they hit hard objects (steel, rock) you get a lead dust cloud that settles so keep young children away from that, don't lick your finger, etc.

I recently bought a brand-new Air Arms TX200 with a walnut stock in .22 caliber and stuck a Hawke 3-9 x 40 AO on it. It only took a few shots to zero the scope and then I was shooting quite accurately straight away. It's a pleasure to shoot and there's no messing about. Just grab the rifle and a tin of pellets and I'm plinking away in my back yard. It is a bit heavier than I expected but it's a quality rifle and I would definitely recommend it. I got the rifle from eBay for $760 including shipping plus sales tax. The scope and mounts were about $80 from an air gun forum in the UK. So, $840 all-in. I may get a PCP next year but for now I'm very happy with my TX200.

TX200 1 (800x521).jpg
TX200 2 (800x533).jpg

I see this is an older post, blunt, get a springer,a good English or German springer, master it,you will love it and always have it unless you're really old.
Eventually, you will get a PCP and say to yourself, wow, I should have got one sooner, when you get tired of it , you will get another PCP, this will go on for years,your quality springer sets in the corner until one day you notice it,grab it and think,wow it all started here,and you will be glad it stated there and you say to yourself and it,I will keep you forever and when you get too old to cock it you tell others you want it to be buried with you. I know, but it sure the heck is smaller than an El Dorado,,, Jimmy Ray Vaughn.