Beginner 1k budget... PCP or Break Barrel?

Hello everyone!

New too the forum today and so far the help has been great and I really appreciate it. I'm looking for an air rifle that I can use for backyard shooting as well as medium to small game hunting. As I've researched into all the options I lean towards PCP but I'm not entirely sold. My budget is about $1000 which would need to cover pretty much everything. I don't know much about this stuff so any advice is appreciated.

I have been through the spring, pneumatic and PCP thing and if I had to do it again I would go for the PCP. The Benjamin Marauder pistol or rifle depending on your power requirements and a Yong Heng compressor to fill them would be in your price range.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/BenjaminPCP.htm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32815880523.html

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/a-dedicated-yong-heng-subforum/#post-1127767

EDIT;

Several of the China and Turkish made guns are within your requirements as well.

You can also get a more expensive PCP and an inexpensive Chinese hand pump for $50-$70 and then get the compressor at a later date.

Reactions: SHOMER
a few years ago i started out like you . I went for a PCP and a pump , (the pump got old very quickly ) but the rifle did dispatch small game very well . I started watching UK videos and got the bug to try a break barrel , now 4 break barrels later and two pcp's i usually go to my springers first . So i would recommend a TX200 or RWS 56 and a bunch of pellets

I am saying a TX200 or RWS56 because of the recoil feature , a sliding works that absorbs most of the recoil and a much smoother shot cycle 

Reactions: drpietrzak
I agree with bio can't go wrong with either one of those guns. I have many now but still love my prod. and Marauder. That's what got me hooked years ago. I started with a hand pump. Just buy the yong heng unless you want a work out. I did it for a long time. When I got my yh never have used hand pump again keep it just in case I ever need it. Gl lots of choices out there now. When the JTS aircuda max comes out will be in my shopping cart.

I don't know man. If I could go back in time to when I bought my first PCP I would have saved up for awhile longer and just dumped 2500 on it. Here's my thinking. I started with a Gamo urban. Very accurate PCP but a bit underpowered for racoon in my opinion..... Now don't get me wrong several fell to the urban. I just found that i needed to put it right behind the ear or right between the eyes. Heart lung shots just were not ethical in my opinion. Then the fill source was an issue. I bought a Yong heng but it was dead a year and a half later. Eventually I just bought a great white carbon fiber tank for around 850 bucks and a used air venturi compressor for another 800 and by then I had bought several rifles. In my opinion the rifle is almost the least important piece of the puzzle. You should find a reliable rifle with adequate power and a warranty or at least have parts availability but other than that it's really all about the fill system and how much nonsense you are willing to deal with. You will either be hand pumping alot or you will be spending alot. Or you can go with the Yong heng and most work out ok for awhile but it's really loud and probably won't last you more than 2 or 3 years if you're lucky. Your mileage may very tho. Long story short for 1000 bucks I'd get a quality springer in 22 cal like the diana 54 or an hw80 or something similar but if you don't mind pumping there are several powerful pcp guns out there that can be bought and paired with a cheap 40 dollar pump as well. Good luck! 

Reactions: SHOMER
Best $100 you could spend.xSpeed, distance and ballistics is the name of the game with air guns. To get a good foundation I would suggest these 3 items or similar to get you started. That crow @ 85 yds with a 5 mph crosswind now become a big possibility. Happy shooting. 
Screenshot_20220315-192603_Google.1647387464.jpg
Screenshot_20220315-192440_Chrome.1647387465.jpg
Screenshot_20220315-192109_Chrome.1647387465.jpg

Reactions: d3vnull
While I enjoy my break barrel airguns, if I were only to have one gun, I would chose the most accurate, and ANY of the new entry level pcp guns ($500>) are going to be more accurate than the higher end break barrel airguns.

Ive been using pcp airguns for some time now, you do not have to have a compressor. I have used a hand pump for years, and even though I now have two scba tanks, I still hand pump for most fills.

Trust me using a hand pump to fill a airgun is easier than becoming a proficient break barrel shooter.

Reactions: rcarlisle
I have an Avenger, Marauder and 2 Impacts among other guns. I also have a couple springers. If you go springer, get a good one and figure spending a good chunk of that $1000 up front. Don't forget to spend some $$ on a bunch of different pellets to find the one it likes. If you decide to get a scope, make sure it is Airgun Rated. Springers have a double recoil and it kills scopes not designed for it.

If you want to go PCP, which is what I would do, I'd go Avenger, and possibly an inexpensive compressor such as the Vevor on the Walmart site for about $200. Get the free replacement plan as well. These are Chineseium compressors, so quality is there, but just in case, Walmart will make good. Make sure you get one with both the 12 volt power supply and the 120 volt supply, some are only 12 volt. Scope and Rings are whatever you can afford.

If you buy the Avenger you have a choice. New for $350 or refurbs are often available on the PA site. Refurbs list between $200 and $280 depending on the mood of the folks at PA. for a first time, I'd buy NEW! I bought the refurb and it was barely packed. It works, but little disappointed in the packing.

So, and Avenger for $350, Compressor for about $225 or so, that's $575. Figure $100 for pellets (buy 4, one is free at PA and a couple other places). That's about $675 so far. That leaves $225 for scope and rings. It'll take your entire budget but you'll be up and shooting with a nice setup.

As always, just my opinion, worth what you paid for it!

Go the PCP route if you have an addictive personality. It's EASY to get way deep into this activity! Springers have there place & accuracy. PCP's are so much easier to shoot, have more situational versatility & can reach much greater practical distances. THAT'S what gets addictive IMHO. $1k is a tight budget for everything (gun,air supply, scope/rings, ammo, etc.) but can be done. Research on this forum will help a lot. BTW, my initial budget was $700 about 6 years ago (fixed income). Somehow over that time I've acquired around $7,000 worth of stuff!!! That's a drop in the bucket for some members of AGN. Bottom line is, get what you can afford to start with. At least you'll be moving forward & learning! 

Just another opinion. If I had to do it all over again, I would start off with a Weihrauch HW97 or HW98, have it tuned and put a scope on it. PCP's are great but you have to be prepared to spend a whole lot more money for your air supply. I'm fortunate and have a lot of great high end rifles, both springers and PCP's, I would strongly recommend this to anyone starting off.

My opinion is the springer will make you a better overall shooter if you put the time into it, they are very accurate, plenty power for small game and you are have the freedom of not needing air. It will also be something you can keep forever.

When you have a bigger budget ($2-3k) and certain you in it long term go to a PCP, by a high quality rifle, tank and compressor.

Reactions: bamavet55
Man it's all so hard to decide how does anyone do it haha. Originally when going through my thought process for what I would be using this for would be something I could use if shtf to hunt small game with while still being able to shoot in my backyard to practice. Figured an actual gun would be more practical for larger game. New too shooting and guns and figured with a PCP it would be easier to be accurate with as well as able to reload and shoot without having to bring down the barrel.

I don't know it's so hard and overwhelming to decide.