• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeswax for Ballistics recipes?

Ballistic gel is very expensive and can only be reused so many times. Beeswax can be remelted and remolded indefinitely.

Six ounces of "Jello" (which is the same as Knox but with flavoring) is a buck thrity nine on line. That works out to about $4.00 per pound. The only other ingredient in ballistics gel is water.

A pound of bees wax sells for about (raw) is about $1.00 per ounce. I don't see the savings.

Even if you buy Knox gelatin by the pound you are only at 2/3 the cost of bees wax AND we have not calculated the cost of the petroleum jelly also mentioned.

Well the wax was free. The petroleum jelly is about $2 per container and I know oils could be used as well to mix with the wax to make it softer as another option...

I just thought someone might have some experience using the stuff. I'm sure any wax would work to some degree. One of the properties of the wax I like is no refrigeration is needed and its relatively soft in its natural state compared to crayon wax for example. I will probably end up buying or making a small amount of some ballistics gel and do a Bb test with both to try to get it as close as possible. I might not even have to mix the wax for some comparable results on some level. I guess only side by side testing will tell.

Well the wax was free. The petroleum jelly is about $2 per container and I know oils could be used as well to mix with the wax to make it softer as another option...

I just thought someone might have some experience using the stuff. I'm sure any wax would work to some degree. One of the properties of the wax I like is no refrigeration is needed and its relatively soft in its natural state compared to crayon wax for example. I will probably end up buying or making a small amount of some ballistics gel and do a Bb test with both to try to get it as close as possible. I might not even have to mix the wax for some comparable results on some level. I guess only side by side testing will tell.

You don't need to buy "ballistics gel" as stated above, also the wax is probably not as accurate to gauge damage with as it is not the same density, etc as ballistics gel.

Being an old bullet lube maker for powder burners you could come up with a recipe that would not take a lot of beeswax. Maybe 25% beeswax, 75% lard, crisco, something cheap from the dollar store and melt in some cheap cooking oil. If that is too stiff add more cooking oil and some petroleum jelly would probably help to keep it from getting too hard when the air temps drop. It could be remelted and used over many times, if it does tend to get harder after remelting just add more oil.

Good luck! 

I get what you mean. The wax is the expensive part and you have that, so the next part of the recipe is what you need as far as gelatin and mix ratios goes. I'd look to Google and compare other homemade recipes and figure out what everyone else is doing, them make it to your specific needs.

When you get the recipes together and actually make your homemade gel, you can get small samples sent to you from clearballistics.com to compare it with yours. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.