Beer and Airguns

• Thread starter 43722 requested deletion
  • Start date

How Many Beers is Responsible?

• Total voters
I'm more of a coffee guy. I usually drink a few cups on the way to a field target match, or the squirrel woods. Really calms the nerves you see.......

Only problem is it makes me have to pee. Great for improving concentration LOL.:coffee:🤓
I love the smell of espresso in the morning. Reminds me of victory.

I bought a large coffee with a triple shot added before setting out an a 3 hour road trip once. ONCE!!!

I damn near chewed the steering wheel out of a Suburban because people where dilly dallying on the freeway when my friend pointed out that I was running at 85 to 90 MPH......

I shortly thereafter relinquished my pilot duties and sat in the back tweaking like a meth head. No more espresso for Chucky boy after that!

Reactions: ScottEnglish
The number of beers differs for each individual. As far as weed I certainly cannot partake even though it is completely legal where I live due to my job. I don’t really care what other people do but I probably wouldn’t even if I could. I did in college and had no tolerance for it. When I did smoke it I was completely on the outside looking in. Messed me up.

Reactions: Arzrover
I'm not a big beer guy, although a cold one on a hot day tastes mighty good. I do have a weakness for good bourbon, which I sip almost every evening before dinner. That said, I've always been strict on myself to forgo any alcohol while shooting. If a neighbor sees me with my air rifle and glass of bourbon, he doesn't know if that's my first, or tenth drink. So, it's just a rule that has always been fundamental in every shooting club, and I just hold it over for personal use too. And as a matter of risk, should any unfortunate accident occur that results in injury or damage, and alcohol is detected, you've just bought yourself a bag of trouble. Everyone have a good July 4th, and enjoy your shooting and drinking responsibly.
Ed

And as a matter of risk, should any unfortunate accident occur that results in injury or damage, and alcohol is detected, you've just bought yourself a bag of trouble. Everyone have a good July 4th, and enjoy your shooting and drinking responsibly.
Ed

Ugh… very good point

BTW I am not advocating for any drinking mixed with shooting anything. I don’t want a lawsuit because my internet electrons made someone do something, this is only Dad humor

Last edited by a moderator:
When I gather with the guys, we will sometimes have a beer after, and may decide to shoot some more. It has to be a safety and know your limits thing to me. I've yet to see any sign of poor judgement or safety infringement or it would change. I think all that I shoot with are of like mind. A little refreshment while shooting in the heat is nice occasionally.
Bob

9 years sober,, but as a child I was taught by example, the guns were put away after hunting,,, then the beer or Peppermint schnapps came out,, no exceptions! no booze in the field or in the blind. There where no gun ranges where I grew up, just cattle ranges.
as for drinking advice, they forgot to put a label on alcohol, but put it on the aspirin bottle,, use the same directions,, 2 per 4 hrs

For now, and I emphasize for now because as I get older I’ve had to eat my words more frequently from my younger days, but I like doing everything in life sober. Don’t need any help, just like experiencing and doing activities as is. I just can’t operate at my peak when I’m even slightly glazed over. I try to only drink on occasions when there’s somebody around to hide my car or truck keys. Once I have a drink or two, I have no desire to even touch any kind of weapon. But next year I could be standing on my porch drunk as hell on the 4th of July blasting away with an AR15. Who knows.

I am not a Puritan. I enjoy a good drink, and actually, I enjoy a few good drinks. I don’t enjoy being inebriated, so I don’t go there, but I’ve gone close 😎

There are two things that I just will not do after having a drink, and I mean even one drink. These are (1) shooting and (2) riding my motorcycles.

I belong to a Sportsmen’s Club that has a full bar/lounge above the indoor pistol range. The strictest rule is that you can shoot, then come up for a drink, but if you so much as touch a drink and then are seen shooting (whether indoors or outside at the rifle range) then your days as a member are over. When I shoot my airguns at home I will not touch a drink until I am finished shooting.

Similarly, I have never had a drink then got on one of my motorcycles. It simply requires too much concentration to stay safe (doesn’t help that I like to go fast 😇) and the consequences of not being safe are so significant that I will not take any action (like drinking) which adds to that risk in any way. I feel the same way about guns/shooting and alcohol.

Now, I will have a drink and then drive home, but its only one drink. If I am at a function at a friends, or out for dinner at a restaurant, I make sure not to have more than one drink per hour if I am driving. I believe that each adult individual can make their own choices, so i don’t preach to grownups, but when I have friends over to my place and I’m serving alcohol, I watch them as well as I can, and always offer the chance to blow in a breathalyzer before the get in the car to go home. Why? Because I don’t want to get sued, or charged, for serving someone who was obviously drunk and then let them drive home. Its a part of my mantra to not do stupid things…

Your Mileage May Vary, but for me drinking and shooting don’t mix.

Reactions: JohnL57