• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman/Theoben SLR 98

tiptop

Nov 12, 2016
OH
About 15 years ago I bought a .22 caliber Beeman SLR98. At the time I really didn't know much about it other than it looked like a very nice quality gun. To be honest, I can't really remember exactly what I thought about it, but I have always believed in high quality tools and it appeared to be one. Anyway, I used the gun sparingly over the years for the occasional nuisance chipmunk or squirrel - it probably hasn't had more than a few hundred pellets through it. Recently I had occasion to use it again on a varmint intent on making 2" holes in the cedar siding on my house and it did the job effectively. Since then I've gotten curious about the gun and have done a bit of online research. The first thing I found was that it's a rebadged Theoben and that company has gone out of business - too bad about that. I have a few questions about it and maybe someone here can help. I've done a bit of online research to try to find a source for an extra 7 shot magazine and have sent a couple inquiries that have come back dry. Does anyone know if there is a source for one or are they absolute unobtanium? Also, are there any recommendations on which pellets perform best for this gun? What might be the current value here in the forum classifieds? Thanks in advance for any advice!

First of all congrats! Awesome rifle in great condition!

Maintenance of SLR is actually VERY easy - in case of a problem all you need could be:
1. o-rings -> easily available standard o-rings, no problem at all
2. schrader valve (& setting screwdriver) -> cheap and available @ airgunspares.com
3. piston washer -> original one is available at airgunspares.com but it's not cheap item. However, any serious airgun tuner can make a custom one on a lathe at much lower cost.

Of course if it works - don't fix anything. It's a great airgun and if you take care of it - should be maintenance free for long years.

Another very handy accesories for SLR would be a dedicated pump / micro-bore hose / chrono. I won't comment on chrono (you can always borrow or check in a local shooting club) but to pump it up (if needed) you need a solid airgun-rated pump. I use this set and it's awesome: http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=638

MAGAZINES: actually I bought a spare magazine couple of weeks ago on eBay... from US, brand new. SO just browse eBay and make sure it's for SLR in correct caliber (and not for old Rapid7, which is also 7-shot and actually looks very similar). Of course a magazine can jam/break, so just in case I also purchased 1-shot tray. If something happens at least I'll still able to use my SLR in single-shot mode. It';s available on RAW in both .177 and .22: https://www.rapidairweapons.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17712&cat=263&page=1 

Enjoy your SLR!