Beeman R1 vs R9?

This is somewhat a follow up to my last post. I did find a nice older R9 and the guy who sold it to me mentioned that he also has an older R1 that he would be willing to sell me. I am not sure if it is a Huntington Beach or San Rafeal model. But what do you think about the R9 vs. the R1?

I could only afford to keep one. I have always admired the R1 and wanted one. But not sure that the extra weight and size are worth it unless there is something to be gained in accuracy or quality. The R1 is certainly a classic that I have always wanted though. And the stock and aesthetics are certainly unbeatable, despite the fact that the R9 probably meets my needs better in terms of size and weight.

Matt

I would take an R9 over an R1 any day. The 26mm compression chamber delivers a better shot cycle than the 30mm R1 at any given power level IMHO. The R9 can be tuned to shoot accurately anywhere from 10fpe up to 15fpe. And it is lighter as you mentioned. I tried an R1 based on the gun’s reputation and it was the only Weihrauch rifle I’ve ever sold.

R

I'm an oddball in that I have a thing for .20 caliber guns. I have a sort of newer R9 .20 PA was selling a couple years back with no open sights and bought from a member on another forum. My R7 .20 is a Huntington Beach and won in an Ebay auction a year ago. Can't fully explain why the older guns but the R1 .20 from back then along with an R10 .20 from back then are 2 guns I want to add to my collection someday.

Most others mileage likely varies but if that R1 was in .20 and for a decent price, I'd try to buy it, but that's me.

Interesting comments above about the compression chamber. That makes sense to me and I always find design variables and their effect to be interesting. The R9 probably is a better fit for me. R1 continues to be tempting though for the reason above---that it's Beeman's flagship. I assume their must be a reason for that.

I have never owned a 20 caliber but certainly see the attributes. I have only had .177s. I think with an R1 that a 20 or .22 cal would probably be better.

Matt

Interesting comments above about the compression chamber. That makes sense to me and I always find design variables and their effect to be interesting. The R9 probably is a better fit for me. R1 continues to be tempting though for the reason above---that it's Beeman's flagship. I assume their must be a reason for that.

I have never owned a 20 caliber but certainly see the attributes. I have only had .177s. I think with an R1 that a 20 or .22 cal would probably be better.

Matt

There is a good reason that the R9/hw95 massively out sells the R1. It is a better design. The R1 was targeted at the US market’s desire for ‘magnum’ springers. Big power + 30mm compression chamber = harsh shot cycle.

R

Owned both, tuned both...for a lighter weight rifle with good power the R9 in .177 is excellent! The R1 in .177 is not as effiecent due to the karger seal dia, so it will shoot more harsh. However if your looking for power, then the R1 in .22 is the way to go! Much better firing behavior in that R1 due to larger swept volume where the R9 will lack in the .22 due to smaller seal dia causing less swept volume. In a nut shell....if you want a lighter weight easy to handle riffle in .177 go with the R9.......if your looking for more power go with the R1 in .22 cal. In .22 the R1 is much more efficient however, the R9 is much more efficient in .177 cal. Lighter weight guns shoot smaller calibers better, and heavier weight rifles shoot larger calibers better when it comes to springers!! Now...what are you gonna do with it??????

My personal favorite rifle is an HW95K (i.e., R9) with a Vortek kit. I replaced the scope with a 3.5 ounce micro red dot sight, which keeps the gun under 8 lbs. The HW95k has the shorter barrel, and is not a lightweight when it comes to cocking effort or recoil.

Some guys find even the HW95 a bit too much and opt for the HW50 or even HW30. It's like buying shoes. You may have to buy several and play around with them for a while to get a best fit for you. They're all wonderful guns. 

Stock shape is another important consideration. Weihrauch really did their homework when designing the HW95 stock shape. IMHO, there's something truly special about the way it feels in the hands. But that's just me.