• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman R1 questions

I just completed a complete repower and reseal on an R1 that is +/- 30 years old. I used a Vortek PG4 HO kit with Vortek seals and it came out fabulous. Shoots like a laser. Is now better than when it was new....
Where can I find the kit and information on it? I want to keep it original if possable but, if it needs some work might as well do it right. Just don’t want to damage or decrease the value of the gun. I’ve been doing PCP’s mainly. Just saw this gun and knew this was one of the best as far break barrels go. Guy was happy to get $100 for it and I figured it was well worth the money. Small gun show in a small town.

The Vortec pg4 kit looks great. Not sure my knowledge on spring guns is where it needs to be for propper results. More learning may be required.:unsure:

Read up on the problems some people have with the steel guide Vortek kits.

In my personal experience, that no one asked for, the Vortek kits are junk. They use higher stressed springs, add in unnecessary metal to metal friction, and are often harder to cock and have a more rowdy shot cycle.

The kits from Air Rifle Headquarters have better quality and lower stressed springs, don't use the outer guide that drags inside the piston, and are almost always more docile shooting.

Just my findings. You do you.

Reactions: nitrowoodtic
The Vortek kits help reduce spring buzz. If you don't have or aren't bothered by spring buzz. It may not be necessary.

I've installed several PG4 kits in R1s and other Weihrauchs. There's sometimes clearance issues between the steel guide and the cocking shoe/foot. This can lead to slivers of steel in the compression tube which can permanently damage it. It's important to properly fit all the parts. I run a PG4 kit in my personal R1.

You're in it for $100. If you are utmost concerned about it's value, and this is a business investment, just sell it now and save yourself the grief and come out ahead. I have had some pretty sought after guns, and kept them utmost original and they never brought any more than another decent working example. If you had the box, paperwork, and so on, that may be different.

But if you want to actually use and enjoy the gun, tune it and add the sling and whatever else you want to make it yours. Because if you find someone that's actually willing to pay what people think these guns are worth, they won't be concerned over it.

It's not an original Winchester from 1880. Just don't paint it with bedliner and you'll still come out ahead.

I too have installed dozens of Tom's kits over the last six years in just about every model Weihrauch. I never had a problem with the PG2 kits plastic outer guides. About half the steel guide kits required extra attention because the sharp edges of the cocking shoe on the 95/80 series or the rough finish on the bottom of the cocking foot on the 30/50 series peeled slivers off the steel guides.
This is addressed by polishing and raidusing the underside of the cocking shoe or foot. It's not difficult but it has to be done to prevent damage.
This is my experience Ymmv

20220808_102131.jpg

20220917_095436.jpg

20220917_095427.jpg

20220827_173747.jpg