Beeman Beeman R1 history question

Does anyone know when Beeman introduced the carbine version of the R1? I just purchased one with a Santa Rosa address and can not remember If any were offered with the SanRafael address. I wish I had put more effort into getting all of the catalogs when they were available.
Yes , for awhile Beeman was out of San Rafael . You got a good gun there. .22 caliber? Swept volume of the R1 aka Hw80 is designed for .22.
Enjoy

Reactions: AirShot
You can date it here:
Got one myself not long ago. .20 caliber Laser version with the Santa Rosa address the data base says was built in 1990.
Beeman R1-3.jpgBeeman R1-1.jpg

I think you're right because it seems the 20 calibers bring more money than 22 or 177. Oddly I think there was less 22s made than 177 or 20. Doc Beeman really pushed the 20s but still sold a more 177s.
The doctor was a master puppeteer that had us all wanting what ever he told us we wanted.

You can date it here:
Got one myself not long ago. .20 caliber Laser version with the Santa Rosa address the data base says was built in 1990.
View attachment 441154View attachment 441155
Very cool! I bought the Laser kit and ‘optional’ plated piston back in the early 90’s which I was never completely happy with due to vibration.

A few months ago, I had a brain storm on how to remove the vibration. This may be a “ghetto tune” but works surprisingly well.

I have a roll of the yellow Tesa strapping tape (which we use to hold down the OD laps of steel coils at work). So this stuff is really strong. Anyways I placed two pieces of this 1/2” wide tape along the length of the Laser spring guide (one piece on each side of the length of the guide). Now the spring fits perfectly on the guide! I also put one lap of this tape around the top hat guide, so that also fits the spring tighter.

Finally a smooth shooting laser kit!!! Relatively light cocking and full power.
I did replace the laser lube with a light coating of spring tar.

If they would have made the guide better fitting on the original Laser, this would be THE magnum spring gun to have to this day IMO.

Anyways congrats on a great piece of Beeman history!!

Last edited:
Reactions: bf1956
Very cool! I bought the Laser kit and ‘optional’ plated piston back in the early 90’s which I was never completely happy with due to vibration.

A few months ago, I had a brain storm on how to remove the vibration. This may be a “ghetto tune” but works surprisingly well.

I have a roll of the yellow Tesa strapping tape (which we use to hold down the OD laps of steel coils at work). So this stuff is really strong. Anyways I placed two pieces of this 1/2” wide tape along the length of the Laser spring guide (one piece on each side of the length of the guide). Now the spring fits perfectly on the guide! I also put one lap of this tape around the top hat guide, so that also fits the spring tighter.

If they would have made the guide better fitting on the original Laser, this would be THE magnum spring gun to have to this day IMO.

Thanks! Not my only one. I've got an older R7 .20, R8 .177 and R10 .20 to go with it...so far...lol

I believe the Lazer tune was designed for ad copy FPS rather than smoothness. Loose and springy equals fast.

The R1 HW 80 platform in regular FAC REALLY NEEDS A PORT JOB AND A TIGHT GUIDE. Steel guides are stable but they need to be a tad looser to alleviate any spring SWANK … ( it’s my word ) during cocking.. if spring OD allows use synthetic guide that screws into the spring .. it’s always gonna be a snappy shot cycle after 15 ft lbs as it’s 80 mm stroke

When I built my custom R1 in .22, some 25 years back, the carbine barrels were not to be found anywhere so I cut mine. Took a little over 3" off, removing the choke. Turned out to be an awesome move as the rifle became a tack driver. Custom tuned with a Macarri spring and a now deleted seal designed by Vortek that never became popular. When finished the rifle averages 825 fps with 14.5 gn pellets and is seriously smooth to shot. Hard cocking effort but the shot cycle is smooth and has shot numerous groups of 3/4" or less at 50 yds. Rifle still shoots the same today ! Sold it to a close friend do to torn rotator cuffs in my shoulders. The cocking effort was a bit much for damaged shoulders. But...yes, that rifle is made to shoot .22 cal the best !!

Very pretty gun. With the size of your R1 collection perhaps you could answer a question. I see that my carbine has a chamfered front compression tube cap seam rather than the usual attempt at hiding the seam. I have seen San Rafael without the chamfered seam so I know it’s not an early thing. Which R1s had the chamfered seam?

IMG_1267.jpeg

Last edited:
Very pretty gun. With the size of your R1 collection perhaps you could answer a question. I see that my carbine has a chamfered front compression tube cap seam rather than the usual attempt at hiding the seam. I have seen San Rafael without the chamfered seam so I know it’s not an early thing. Which R1s had the chamfered seam?

View attachment 444004
I have broken this seam question away in to a new thread. I have no idea how to link that thread.