• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman Beeman R1 .20 Cal With Laser Kit

I have owned both. They both shoot like heavy springers. I find the 48 more comfortable to cock. The 48 would likely have a performance edge. The thing to remember is the Laser kit was a tune. It’s been a long time. Ask yourself after all these years is the spring and seal original? Is the Doctors snake oil Laser lube dried out? I saw it on eBay and wonder if anything is left besides the badge the chamfer and the polish. I like to think they are still worth the 700 CT is asking.

Last edited:
Yep that was the one I was looking at and thank you for the feedback. My shoulder and arm strength are not what they once were and the 48 is pushing it. I remember thinking that an actual laser was used in the tuning process, haha. I should be getting my R7 soon, hopefully that will satisfy my need for a Beeman for the time being.
If you're looking for a simple enjoyable airgun at reasonable range you can't beat an R7/HW30. I have an R1, it's my least used gun. Including my wife's HW30, there's three in my house. All get more exercise than the R1. IMO the R1 is over rated. The R9(Hw95) IMO is a better gun if you need more power than an R7/HW30. The R1 is heavy and hold sensitive unless you dip it's into HW95 levels. At that point buy an R9 or HW95. They're cheaper and easier to come by.

If you're a collector and you want something special a 20 cal Lazer is actually a worthy piece. If you're a shooter you're money is better spent elsewhere. Lazers are old and original parts are probably compromised and replacement parts will devalue the gun. It's almost catch 22 unless you can find one unused in a box. Then you'll pay top dollar. Again as a collectible it's special as a shooter not so much.

I still use it today 🥴

laserlube.png

If you're looking for a simple enjoyable airgun at reasonable range you can't beat an R7/HW30. I have an R1, it's my least used gun. Including my wife's HW30, there's three in my house. All get more exercise than the R1. IMO the R1 is over rated. The R9(Hw95) IMO is a better gun if you need more power than an R7/HW30. The R1 is heavy and hold sensitive unless you dip it's into HW95 levels. At that point buy an R9 or HW95. They're cheaper and easier to come by.

If you're a collector and you want something special a 20 cal Lazer is actually a worthy piece. If you're a shooter you're money is better spent elsewhere. Lazers are old and original parts are probably compromised and replacement parts will devalue the gun. It's almost catch 22 unless you can find one unused in a box. Then you'll pay top dollar. Again as a collectible it's special as a shooter not so much.
Not a collector yet and it's hard to resist some of these older guns with the beautiful stocks!
The R9 is nice but the HW98 really has a hold on me...in the future maybe even .22. Basement Target shooting only so I really don't think I need a magnum but when I take it to the range it will come in handy.

Well if it's something you may like and got money to spend go for it .. just 2 kind of regrets

Regret buying it but can resell or something

Or regret not buying it and never know a thing ..

I'll add another..

To know better next time is better then not knowing at all.

Lots of stuff I bought and kinda wished I did not , but it's as equal that I did not buy something and kinda wished I did ..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bozman
The ones that show up from time to time as long as bidders don't get stupid, usually sell around $600. As already mentioned, what may or may not be left of that Laser tune kit besides the sticker, which I've seen mention on other forums you can actually still buy.
Beautiful rifle and tempting, since I already own 2 R7's (.177 and .20), an R9 (.20) and an R10 (yep, .20...lol) and wanting an R1 .20 to add to them someday, but is the sticker worth an extra $100 considering it's not a Laser anymore if the insides need replaced.
Might be to a collector but I don't buy guns to be wall hangers.

The ones that show up from time to time as long as bidders don't get stupid, usually sell around $600. As already mentioned, what may or may not be left of that Laser tune kit besides the sticker, which I've seen mention on other forums you can actually still buy.
Beautiful rifle and tempting, since I already own 2 R7's (.177 and .20), an R9 (.20) and an R10 (yep, .20...lol) and wanting an R1 .20 to add to them someday, but is the sticker worth an extra $100 considering it's not a Laser anymore if the insides need replaced.
Might be to a collector but I don't buy guns to be wall hangers.
There is no stocker it's a counter sunk enameled button and I personally have never seen just a button for sale. I own a Laserized .22 since 2005 and all the parts minus the piston seal are in it.

I had a ten yard "range" in my basement that I used for tune testing. It was very informative and helped diagnosis and fix lots guns. Unfortunately it gave me delusions of greatness. At least as far as accuracy was concerned. Distance separates the men from the boys.

There's no need for more than an 8 fpe Hw30 or similar at ten yards. As far as I'm concerned thirty yards. The only time more power is needed is if you want to shoot pests larger than a grey squirrel past 20 maybe 25 yards. For paper targets accuracy is more important than firepower.

Reactions: r1lover and bozman
There is no stocker it's a counter sunk enameled button and I personally have never seen just a button for sale. I own a Laserized .22 since 2005 and all the parts minus the piston seal are in it.
Thank you sir as always for correcting and adding to my education on the more obscure things as I always thought those were just simple stickers.

Reactions: DualMagMike
I bought an original laserized R1 in .20 caliber in the '90s and indeed, it has an inlaid button in the stock with the laser logo. At the time I had great difficulty shooting it accurately because I didn't know about the artillery type hold. It has prominent recoil. I kept trying to hold it tighter and tighter and my groups got worse and worse. It layed around in storage, then I moved and did other hobbies for a while before finally coming back to it.

Yes I believe the super secret laser lubricant was actually copper anti-seize paste, as @Hateful McNasty showed. All of that old gunk dries out and needs to be cleaned away to refurbish these older rifles. I ended up rebuilding mine somewhere around 2012 with new Maccari seals and spring from air rifle headquarters. I did a standard lube tune on it with a bit of moly paste in the compression chamber and on the piston seal, and some heavy tar lightly coated on the spring. It's a fairly heavy recoiling springer that requires a gentle hold and very light cheek weld. Mine shot best with H&N field target trophy pellets, the last time I got it out.

Feinwerk

Is this a sought after gun? anything to beware of and price range
I remember drooling over it from the catalogues but never seen in person.
Can anyone compare it to shooting a RWS48, heft and recoil
I believe this is the seller of the R1 Laser you're referring too? Check out all
the airguns this ebay seller has for sale. Be prepared to drool.

Reactions: Mycapt65
Well if it's something you may like and got money to spend go for it .. just 2 kind of regrets

Regret buying it but can resell or something

Or regret not buying it and never know a thing ..

I'll add another..

To know better next time is better then not knowing at all.

Lots of stuff I bought and kinda wished I did not , but it's as equal that I did not buy something and kinda wished I did ..
yep I have a similar thought process