Beeman QB78

For starters, try the Crosman hollow point pellets available at Walmart. They are usually decent for casual backyard shooting. If and when you decide you want something better, try the JSB or Air Arms 8.4gr if you have the .177 cal., or the 15.9gr if you have the .22 cal.

With a scope and modest marksmanship, most QBs will print 5-shot groups under a dime at 25 yards. Often better with a batch of pellets it really likes.

It should like the paper-box Crosman Premiers, but you have to order those. The heavy ones if it's a .177. I've yet to try the JSB pellets. The Crosman hollow points also work well in my .22 model.

You might want to spend a little time polishing the edges on the receiver, as they're probably sharp. I cut myself a few times on the edge of the slot that the bolt rides in, so I took some 400-grit sandpaper and worked all the edges I could find over. Cleaning the barrel is also a good idea. It will really help with accuracy. I mostly shoot in the basement and back yard, so I'm guessing you're in the city.

There are a number of mods that you can do to that rifle that will help with both power and accuracy. Mine has a home-done bolt-probe. It added a few FPS and really tightened the groups up. I only care about the accuracy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Ride on,

J~

20200405_153753.1639512746.jpg
My rebuttal to Frank's comment....

Qb series are fun guns and great to mod for power or shot count ...tons of info on web. I bought my 1st 14 yrs ago ( yrs before they were Beemans) and still own today. I own 77 78 79 also the cr 160 cr 167. Some are bulk filled...others are carts and thats another topic.

Qb series 👍

Have fun .

Cue the Monty Python argument video...

I picked up a couple of QB-77s and a 79 from Tim at Mac-1 back in the early nineties. I (with Tim's help) put a 5mm LW barrel on one and it would put pellets through the same hole all day long. The bulk fill option and extra-length tube made it much less expensive to shoot, too. I had a lot of fun with it at the range shooting flys and yellow jackets at 15 yards. 

Different strokes and all that... Why rain on someone else's parade when it isn't necessary?

Ride on,

J~

Cue the Monty Python argument video...

I picked up a couple of QB-77s and a 79 from Tim at Mac-1 back in the early nineties. I (with Tim's help) put a 5mm LW barrel on one and it would put pellets through the same hole all day long. The bulk fill option and extra-length tube made it much less expensive to shoot, too. I had a lot of fun with it at the range shooting flys and yellow jackets at 15 yards. 

Different strokes and all that... Why rain on someone else's parade when it isn't necessary?

Ride on,

J~

???

I have an old QB78 that I bought about 21 years ago. Does anyone have a list of o-ring sizes? Mine has a couple nasty leaks that I need to chase down.

Cool! I believe that Archer Airguns sells seal kits for the 78. I don't know the o-ring sizes. You'll probably need a tool to loosen the valve with. I made one from a C02 cartridge and a piece fo threaded rod.

How is yours stamped? Is it one of the originals that Tim sold, or one of the later ones that went for forty bucks at gun shows? I'd love to see pics of it.

Ride on,

J~

1. valve -113
2. end cap -113
3. barrel -012 [qty 3]
4. .177 bolt M1 x 2.5 or -003
5. .22 bolt -006
6. Transfer port - not an O-ring but a seal. Use poly tubing commonly sold as icemaker tubing (0.25" OD, 0.170" ID) and cut it to 0.100" long. The length is important. You want it long enough to crush slightly to help it seal but not so long that the wall folds and compromises the seal or chokes off the inside diameter. An alternative is Crosman #130-036 which is a square cross section seal. You will need to replace the poly tubing any time you disassemble/reassemble a rifle but the Crosman part is reusable.

Buna-N in 70 durometer is fine for all of them except the end cap which needs to be polyurethane. You can use Buna-N but it will swell and you'll have to swap it when changing cartridges (it will return to its original size after a while and you can reuse it). 

I have an old QB78 that I bought about 21 years ago. Does anyone have a list of o-ring sizes? Mine has a couple nasty leaks that I need to chase down.

Cool! I believe that Archer Airguns sells seal kits for the 78. I don't know the o-ring sizes. You'll probably need a tool to loosen the valve with. I made one from a C02 cartridge and a piece fo threaded rod.

How is yours stamped? Is it one of the originals that Tim sold, or one of the later ones that went for forty bucks at gun shows? I'd love to see pics of it.

Ride on,

J~

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

1. valve -113
2. end cap -113
3. barrel -012 [qty 3]
4. .177 bolt M1 x 2.5 or -003
5. .22 bolt -006
6. Transfer port - not an O-ring but a seal. Use poly tubing commonly sold as icemaker tubing (0.25" OD, 0.170" ID) and cut it to 0.100" long. The length is important. You want it long enough to crush slightly to help it seal but not so long that the wall folds and compromises the seal or chokes off the inside diameter. An alternative is Crosman #130-036 which is a square cross section seal. You will need to replace the poly tubing any time you disassemble/reassemble a rifle but the Crosman part is reusable.

Buna-N in 70 durometer is fine for all of them except the end cap which needs to be polyurethane. You can use Buna-N but it will swell and you'll have to swap it when changing cartridges (it will return to its original size after a while and you can reuse it).

Thanks! 

My 78 has a slow leak and I was looking for that info. Cut and pasted into a text file, it's available when I need it.

Here's a pic of the markings on the QB-77.

download.png
P9250386.1640009954.JPG

Ride on,

J~