• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Beeman QB Chief PCP 22cal just doesn't want to hold sight in.

Hello everyone. I haven't posted in over a year but in the past I got some good pointers on my previous pellet rifle so I am back with more questions. I sold the Umarex and picked up a used Beeman QB Chief PCP 22 cal. Nice little rifle. The guy I bought it from gave me half a tin of JSB Exact Jumbos and said that those were the best in this rifle. When I took it home and set up a target and started shooting it was 8" to the right at 10 yds! After looking it over I noticed the rear scope mount was off the rail. So I took the scope off and remounted it correctly and was able to get a decent grouping. We have a real chipmunk issue and all was going well for a couple days then out of nowhere I just started missing. Left, then low then high. Got the table and the target back out and sighted it in again. It would shoot 2-3 in a decent group then 1 way high? This went on for a while and it just wouldn't hone in on the target consistently. So I'm thinking the scopes gotta be shot so I bought a new Hawke Vantage 4x32 AO scope. Mounted that and sighted it in. All seemed well. Was hitting a dime sized target at 30'. Back to chipmunk patrol. 30 shots later I am missing everything again. Long story shot it won't hold a sight in with the new scope!! I have cleaned the barrel, stuck with the same ammo, checked everything is tight. It doesn't leak at all. Shoots great it just won't stay sighted in. I am at a loss. Is it possible a second scope is shot? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Hard to go wrong with ballistol. Safe for all your rubber seals. I'd be looking for metal shavings, or any scoring back where the hammer/trigger is. Just in case the hammer is binding, or maybe is dirty with debris from something else binding. One common thing is for a hammer spring to have sharp edges that will shave metal off one thing or another. Once the hammer tube gets filled with metal shavings, it will be hard to get much consistency.

Fine sandpaper or polishing compounds are your friend 

Well as it turned out it really wasn't that dirty. By the 5th patch it was coming out clean. I screwed up though. I know that when trying to figure something out I should only change one thing at a time then take a few shots to see where I am. But when I cleaned the rifle I noticed that the silencer was ever so loose. I took it off and I could see it was scratching the bluing so I left it off and cleaned the barrel. I set up my target and took 3 shots at 10 yards. All three were an inch high but also all three went through the same hole! After a few more shots I had it right in the bullseye. So I have not put the silencer back on because it is scratching my barrel and it doesn't seem to fit right and its been shooting very accurately since. (I am overrun with chipmunks) It's been over a week and I haven't missed since. Loving it. So although I am happy that it is shooting so well, I'm just not sure what was causing the issue the silencer or the marginally dirty barrel? Just wanted to update and say thanks again for the suggestions.

I just got the Beeman Chief 2 Synthetic Plus. It is a decent looking air rifle and feels nice in the hand. I cleaned the barrel and did an overall quality inspection. I decided to just pump it up to 2900psi and leave it alone for a week to see if it had a leak issue that some people are complaining about. No leaks after a week. If you are wondering what it took, it was 250 pumps to get it to 2900psi. My issue is that I put a scope on it and could not hit paper with it. I took the scope off and used the open sights on the airgun and they shot low and to the right. I was not able to adjust the sights to correct this issue. I didn't get a close enough group with the open sights to make me happy. It was a 3 inch group at 30 yards. I was using a Crossman Premier 14.3 Hollow Point Pellet .22 cal. I will try to shoot some other pellet brands and weights to see if I can get it on target. Just to mention it took 75 pumps from 1100psi to get it back to 2900psi. I hope this helps answer some questions.