Beeman Pellet Tool Study

One of the old Beeman pellet tools was used in this study.

Seated means I set the pellet into the barrel to the depth the tool would push it.

Dressed means I used the tool to round the skirt before I shot the pellet.

The pellet was 13.73 grain JSB in .20 cal.

The rifle was an HW-98 which had not been completely shot in at that point.

YMMV

pellet-tool-study.1636664467.jpg

There is nothing really drastic here but it is interesting to see a 12% improvement in SD when dressing skirts before firing and a three percent reduction in power when seating the pellet with the tool.

In years past, when the CP 7.9 pellets were hot, that pellet tool was perfect for expanding the skirt of those pellets. I also experimented with smoothing out the chamber where the pellet is loaded. I found that a number of TX and SR barrels had a burr on that loading chamber edge. I had pushed pellets in with my thumb then pushed them back out with a small dowel rod. If a burr is there, you will see the scrapes on your pellet. I used my chamfering tool ( single cut carbude burr in a tear drop shape) to remove the burr and smooth out the loading chamber. Only a very tiny amount of material should be removed, just enough to remove/smooth out where the burr was. Pellets became much easier to load and seat with your thumb. In all cases where a burr was present, the velocity improved markedly due to what I believe was blowby, air going past the pellet. In some cases a 30 to 40 fps improvement was had along with improved accuracy and consistancy. Removal of the burr is what started my expanding the skirt theroy in the old 7.9 prem pellets. If you find your gun shows improvement with a pellet seating tool, consider checking if you have a slight burr on the edge leading into the loading chamber. Chances are pretty good that you do!!