Beeman p17

i about to have a spinal fusion so i got one as they are really cheap to play with as im gonna be down for some time after this fusion, anyways what a cool little accurate thing very good trigger also shooting 8.44 fx out of it, barrel was filthy so of course i cleaned it well. open sightes at 12 yards is a blast 2 inch groups im happy. can put 3-4 in a inch if use a rest but not every time as its pretty hard, thinking a red dot but they dont magnify which is fine i can see just fine if i use the glasses, what are you guys set up with, just out of curiosity,

These are fun and surprisingly accurate. I used to have a couple of these that I picked up on clearance at Walmart for some ridiculously low price some years ago. I put red dots on mine. I removed the barrels for polishing. I used a cone-shaped Dremel grinding bit to ease the breech chamfer a bit and to re-crown the barrel. I used the corner of a craytex abrasive block with some oil, chucked the breech end of the barrel in my hand drill to polish the crown.
You can take the grip apart and put some moly paste on the trigger components to smooth them out. You can also remove a link to disable the automatic safety and make it fully manual.

Some of these are very sensitive to how you dress the hairpin trigger mechanism spring inside the grip. A certain orientation would cause the mechanism to malfunction.

With a rest, I think mine would easily group a half inch or less at 15 yards and I think I was using jsb 7.33 grain.

Hope your surgery goes well and have fun with your p17!

Beeman P17 with Dot Sight.jpg

Regards,
Feinwerk

I musta received a dud...
The trigger was horrible. Long...pull, gritty as hell. During the pull, you really didn't know when the sear was going off.

Once inside, I realized why the pull through is so gritty. All of the parts are just stamped steel.
Stamped steel has a fairly smooth area where the die starts it's cut, then gets rougher and rougher as the die blade goes through the material and finally ends the cut.

I took mine apart twice. Removed some material and polished all sliding parts. Then again, removed some more material, and repolished the newly cut areas.
Yeah, it works..."ok" now. It works fine for a $45 dollar gun !
Oh yeah, I did lighten the spring a bit too.

Defiantly, not a favorite, even after the clean-up work. Though it does feel ok in the hand.

Mike

These are fun and surprisingly accurate. I used to have a couple of these that I picked up on clearance at Walmart for some ridiculously low price some years ago. I put red dots on mine. I removed the barrels for polishing. I used a cone-shaped Dremel grinding bit to ease the breech chamfer a bit and to re-crown the barrel. I used the corner of a craytex abrasive block with some oil, chucked the breech end of the barrel in my hand drill to polish the crown.
You can take the grip apart and put some moly paste on the trigger components to smooth them out. You can also remove a link to disable the automatic safety and make it fully manual.

Some of these are very sensitive to how you dress the hairpin trigger mechanism spring inside the grip. A certain orientation would cause the mechanism to malfunction.

With a rest, I think mine would easily group a half inch or less at 15 yards and I think I was using jsb 7.33 grain.

Hope your surgery goes well and have fun with your p17!

View attachment 275942

Regards,
Feinwerk
Is cocking the piston difficult with the optic mounted as you show it? With mine I have to push on the top of the slide in front of the rear sight. If I push on the rear site on the cocking stroke it gets uncomfortable real quick.

I have a P17 that I haven't shot in a while due to an air leak that I haven't taken the time to figure out since getting into PCP's.
I've had this gun apart and I've heard that it can be quite fussy about how it goes back together. After the gun is cocked, you can hear all the air leaking out.

Any advice out there on the steps I should follow to remedy this?