• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman P17 Review

Have several P17s and P3 and HW40PCA.

Added the Canada cocking assist to one way easier to close that dang underlever on at least that ONE.

If later you can score a P2 or HW75 I highly recommend it. A lot easier to close that underlever. Actually the Gamo Compact-AV V10 is easier and a lot quieter to shoot. Too bad a lot of plastic. Oh there's the FAS 6004 easy to close too.

LOL, Now that was a good review, I have no problem with the cocking, To each his own,,, But my my P17s Yes thats a s on there, My P17s have killed hundreds of rattlesnakes ..

IT is the best gun you can buy for 30 dollars, Just try and beat it... 

Mike

Thanks! I don’t have too big of a problem with the cocking, it’s just that it hurts my wrist and (with what I do outside of airgunning) I can’t let that happen.

Good video, keepe'm coming !

Only a very slight fan of my P17, even after "fixing" its trigger mechanism.

Mike

Thanks! I must admit my P17 feels a little bit loosely put together. Light years ahead of my cheap Daisys, though!

Have several P17s and P3 and HW40PCA.

Added the Canada cocking assist to one way easier to close that dang underlever on at least that ONE.

If later you can score a P2 or HW75 I highly recommend it. A lot easier to close that underlever. Actually the Gamo Compact-AV V10 is easier and a lot quieter to shoot. Too bad a lot of plastic. Oh there's the FAS 6004 easy to close too.

I added a rifle scope to my P17 as a cocking assist. It did great, until the day of recording when the rail broke 😀

Antoni

@Antoni

A while back Amazon had these for $7.50. I bought 24 of them. Gave most away as gifts, but I still have 5 or 6.

Of those, I can put a 10.5 CPUM nearly hole in hole at 10 meters on a good day (for me).

As far as loading the pellet, that does take some practice. I am sure I have much larger fingers than you, but have found that loading the pellet is not that hard, although the first time I loaded a pellet I pretty much thought exactly like you.

As to cocking. On this I guess I can agree with you. However, again you have to develop your own way of cocking it that doesn't pinch or strain you. It is do-able even for youngsters. When I cock it now, I don't worry about pinching, but it does still take some effort to close it. (grin)

The FPE is about 3.73 at the muzzle, so it isn't going to be very good past that distance anyway.

It is what it is and that is a really accurate inexpensive SSP pistol. Even at $50, I don't know of anything else that can beat it.

Thanks for the video and good work!

Antoni

Some guys remove the front pin on the piston rod & pull the piston. Once out you can use a 3/8 drill bit (or dremel) to make a shallow divit on the piston face. This will lower the compression a little & make it easier for you to cock without affecting accuracy. (Do a Google search) In a couple of years, you can remove the piston & fill in the divot with J. B. Weld. Now your back to where you started.

I enjoyed your video, keep up the good work. 

Antoni

Some guys remove the front pin on the piston rod & pull the piston. Once out you can use a 3/8 drill bit (or dremel) to make a shallow divit on the piston face. This will lower the compression a little & make it easier for you to cock without affecting accuracy. (Do a Google search) In a couple of years, you can remove the piston & fill in the divot with J. B. Weld. Now your back to where you started.

Why...?

Just shoot it. If you need to do a few exercises so you can cock your gun, then by all means, but why FU a gun, the fix it ?

Mike

Antoni

Good advice for someone who might need it. Not something I would do but as you note it is reversible.

I bored the inside of the piston on mine. Also cleaned up where the o-ring meets the barrel, made a cork trigger stop, and modified the grips with moldable glue.

Turned the cylinder 180 deg which place the inlet air hole up so its easy to squirt a few drops of silicon oil. 

Easy to cock, and no air leaks at the breech.

20180920_192557.1624686935.jpg

20180921_113040.1624687404.jpg

Before 

20180902_102457.1624687288.jpg

After

20180902_102923.1624687131.jpg
w

20180831_15441901.1624687516.jpeg

D-cuttler

Great post with pics. Any information on modifications can be useful to someone. We all have different goals at different stages in our shooting experience. It's not always about the most power. Thanks for demonstrating with pics the modification I was trying to describe.

I actually went the other way with 3 of mine, by making a lip of tape above the piston and adding J. B. Weld to increase compression. With a 10" barrel, its shooting 7 gr @ 470 fps. But I didn't think that was pertinent to Antoni or his video.