• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman P17 option

Has she pinched a blood blister on the soft part of her hand yet? Just saying you may get it back soon enough :)

Otherwise no, there isn’t anything that rivals the value of the P17!

But as impressive as it is in terms of accuracy and a good trigger, I soon get annoyed by the hard cocking. I added an extension to mine to make it easier but I still prefer a good CO2 pistol for any long plinking sessions. No good in cold weather of course but I don’t find much inspiration to shoot an air pistol in the cold in the first place. More of a warm weather or indoor activity.

I like my SPA CP1-M much better than my Crosman 2240. Both need trigger work but the end result with the CP1-M is vastly better (on a par with a similarly massaged P17 trigger). That is unless you fork over the dough to convert the 2240 over to the 1701 trigger.

Yup nothing compares to the P17 in value for a $30 pistol.

You could buy the real German P3/HW40PCA for you if it makes you feel better. Hard to tell the difference though. APA has the HW40PCA version on special for just over $200.

The Affordable Marksman 2004 labeled version would be another option for cheap too.

Don't pinch your hand.

The Air Venturi V10 (formerly Gamo Compact) is easier to cock and same match grade accuracy in a economical price. A used Gamo compact would work too.

The Daisy 747 is THE EASIEST to cock If you can find one. The cheaper Daisy 717 is almost as accurate.

The Daisy 777 may be too heavy.

In order to match or better the P17 accuracy in a co2 gun the Crosman Custom Shop around $126.03 2300kt with 10.1" Lothar Walther barrel or $129.74 2400kt longer 14" Lothar Walther barrel.

The 22 cal 2240 is a cheaper alternative but not as accurate. The Vigilante is accurate and decent believe it or not and extra mags only around 86 cents buying each from Crosman with 25% off AGNATION code free shipping Friday's.

Multipump pistols she gonna get tired of pumping them to shoot and Nitro piston no way she's gonna hate it. Probably won't be able to hit anything repeatably not even close to the P17 accuracy.

Yeah skip anything with a high cocking force or the tedium of multi-stroke pneumatics...unless of course your goal is to deter her from shooting. 

A CO2 pistol is the most suitable option for the casual shooter. Just cycle the bolt, load a pellet, and pull the trigger. If tuned decently, you can get 50+ shots on a cartridge so it doesn’t feel like you’re always swapping cartridges.

Simplest way to get “one up on her“ is to purchase the more expensive HW40 version which is a shift in class above. Slightly better trigger and no moulding flash to be seen anywhere....but pretty much a waste of time trying to find much else.

The Gamo versions have weaker barrel housing, no ability to fix sights and triggers barely half as good. Even the Target Venturi derivative has an inferior trigger...I wouldn't bother with the extra bulk and cost of it.

Co2 stuff annoys me. Damn Co2 bulb reliance can become tiring and the velocity curves as the gas peak passes. Colder climate may not be a problem for you as it is me, but if it is...forget it. 

Yea, I’m in central Idaho and it’s 10 degrees this morning. I was looking between the 2300kt and the cometa Indian. Was try to stay around $100-125 but may not be able to get anything useful for her. There is several Daisy 747 on eBay for $120+.

I bought a daisy 717 on eBay a few weeks ago and I got it cheap but had to buy a rebuild kit for it which was I believe $20. They are very easy to work on. But recently I’ve seen more of them for sale on eBay. 717,747. ODoyle was the one that was talking about them and I decided to give it a try. I love it. Mine was shot a lot so the trigger was already broken in. But it is very accurate. There has actually been some on eBay recently that were in excellent condition. The 747 has an adjustable trigger. But like I said my 717 trigger is fine. And yes the 777 is much heavier.

Does the wife enjoy shooting outdoors in the freezing cold?

Just trying to keep it in perspective.

It’s not like CO2 completely gives out at 40F or 50F. The trajectory will be different if you’ve tuned it for 70-80F, sure, but you quickly adapt to it. My assumption here is that the wife isn’t wanting it to do brain shots on gray squirrels where the first shot has to be on the money. For targets and plinking, you just adjust your hold or dial in the sights. Less effort and annoyance than the cumulative effort of a difficult cocking stroke for each and every shot.

I think I might have seen the one you’re bidding on. I know I have seen a couple on there that were in great condition lately. Mine isn’t cosmetically in great condition but isn’t that bad at all. I was going to refinish it when I had it apart but I thought that if I put it back together and it didn’t work then it would’ve been a waste of time. But the main thing is that it shoots great.

I find you that you quickly build the strength to deal with cocking overlever design SSP after a few weeks and the little work out does you no harm.

Once achieved, you can then enjoy single figure consistency regardless of any conditions.

As regard the 717/747 its a good choice once you achieve top dead centre with the pump head setting. If using opens, it also gets a longer sight base. (distance between the sights...greater potential accuracy)