Beeman Beeman P17 - Junk ???

It started having eratic velocities and accuracy, which turned out to be a leak. If there was a good quality rebuild kit I would restore it.
Been years now .. but as I recall there are only 3 o-rings in there. Pump piston, poppet valve & breech.
Take em out, measure ( Metric ) and replace with 70 duro Buna ... Clean & lube ... DONE

After sitting for a year or more, I dug my P17 out of a box full of...stuff.

Odd... I opened the "slide", put a pellet in, closed the slide, which required the normal "push". I pulled the trigger, just a "click", nothing else. Hmm, I recocked it, and it shot the pellet fine !?
I tried shooting it three times, it took the same, double cocking action all three times to shoot the pellet.

Maybe I'll just take a torch to it, put it out of its misery.

Mike

• Haha
Reactions: Florida_Man
I thought this would be a good place to share a video I made last summer.

You make cocking it look downright easy. A tin of pellets in one session! Most I’ve done was something over 100 pellets.

I bought the P3 version and use Septicdeath’s tip for cocking (he posted the video on this site): brace it off a bent knee. I standardized some details to make it even better for me, by holding the gun with four fingers holding the grip and the bottom of the barrel placed on top of my thigh just in front of the grip-to-barrel bend. It just makes for a more stable brace.

Also, because I always practice shooting right-handed and left-handed, I switch cocking sides accordingly. That makes for a good workout on both shoulders, arms, lat sides.

Yes, it requires moving up and down from kneeling to standing position. Also a good workout when done 20 or more times on each side.

I like the P3 better the more I practice with it. The trigger is everything I could have wanted, and the gun’s precision is amazing as long as *I* aim and hold accurately.

Not having tried it for shots much farther than 10 meters—eyesight is a limiting factor—I’ll make sure to do so this year.

Reactions: .20calguy
For $20 or less a few years back .... Fantastic SSP pistol.
IMO based on what ya get and how they shoot.
If there is one glaring negative, it would be getting skin, finger/s or clothing caught up when upper breech snaps shut against the lower
You only need one blood blister to learn to keep hands held flat and firm when cocking.

Clothing is a different story. I found out that zipper pulls on unzipped neck zippers should be tucked out of the way or not worn. The gun refused to unlatch so I could remove the cord. I had to point the gun off the side, to a safe area, and waste a pellet before the latch could be opened again. No harm done, fortunately.

Some time ago I stretched my target for the P17 to 50 meter. I had to hold over about 80 cm to hit the target. Grouping was not good with open sights but it was fun. I regularly shoot 25 meter.

Today I bought a Caldwell chrono as the one I had fit on a rifle barrel but not on the P17. I wanted it for the PB rifles and mostly for the muzzleloader I have not idea wat speed it is shooting. So I tested the P17 and it shoots 400 fps with 7.25 grain pellets.

Edit to correct typo.

Last edited:
1712394778650.png

Reactions: .20calguy
You make cocking it look downright easy. A tin of pellets in one session! Most I’ve done was something over 100 pellets.

I bought the P3 version and use Septicdeath’s tip for cocking (he posted the video on this site): brace it off a bent knee. I standardized some details to make it even better for me, by holding the gun with four fingers holding the grip and the bottom of the barrel placed on top of my thigh just in front of the grip-to-barrel bend. It just makes for a more stable brace.

Also, because I always practice shooting right-handed and left-handed, I switch cocking sides accordingly. That makes for a good workout on both shoulders, arms, lat sides.

Yes, it requires moving up and down from kneeling to standing position. Also a good workout when done 20 or more times on each side.

I like the P3 better the more I practice with it. The trigger is everything I could have wanted, and the gun’s precision is amazing as long as *I* aim and hold accurately.

Not having tried it for shots much farther than 10 meters—eyesight is a limiting factor—I’ll make sure to do so this year.
I have been shooting air pistols pretty consistently for fourty years.
It looks easy when I play guitar too. Lol
Just a thought I had. 👍

I read so many reports how wonderful they are and I made a BIG mistake and ordered one. If there is any fun in shooting one it had better come already cocked. Or get a Missouri mule to kick cock it. Of course it might be my old age giving it to its failure to bring any pleasure. Yes, I did manage to shoot it about 20 times and then in the closet it went and will probably stay. Charles
Sorry to here that sekiar
I don't have issue shooting them as yet, but I've been shooting springer air pistols for forty years and this design SSP for about twenty of them. I had the thought that maybe its just practice/muscle memory?
I make playing guitar look easy too, and more than one of my guitar students have put their guitars in the closet, over the years.
I'm also still young. Only 68.
All the best. 👍