• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman Laser MKIII Gas Ram

Recently picked this up. I've been looking for one for quite some time. Definitely a bucket list gun for me. I drooled over these when they were new but there was no chance of me getting one then. So glad it came my way. 

We are lucky to be custodians of these guns.

Absolutely immaculate. Replaced piston and breach seals, re-lubed and cleaned thoroughly. Ready for another 20 years!

IMG_0583.1639339658.JPG

IMG_0584.1639339659.JPG

IMG_0588.1639339659.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDsSoF0u3nw

https://youtu.be/VyP0KY54e2Q

Very nice Lewis! How does it shoot ?

I may never know how it shoots. I just ran it across the chronograph to ensure the new seals were in good order. It looks like it has never had a scope on it. I won't be the one to put the first scratch in it. Shame really.

As luck would have it I do have a second identical gun that has been used a bit. I have taken it out several times and it is my favorite break barrel gun. 14.5 FPE no spring torsion, no twang, no bounce etc., just a great shot cycle from a Theoben gas ram mated to a Rekord trigger! I love it. It is very accurate. I was able to hit a 6 inch gong 10 times in a row at 100 yards. At 50 it is less than an inch consistently.

I REALLY wish someone would pick up the torch an make retrofits for the R1 and others. I can't even imagine an HW97 or AA TX200/Prosport with this kind of setup. Drool!!

Reactions: Bandito
That is a gem !!!

I feel fortunate that my .20 R1 has a Theoben gas spring in it

I'm trying to learn more about these and share what we find out.

Is yours a retrofit or a MKIII laser? Is it a Theoben or Vortek kit? Perhaps there are others I haven't heard of yet. Do you have any pictures you could share?

This is the Theoben. It uses the original style seals.

IMG_0571.1639578762.jpg

IMG_0570.1639578759.jpg

IMG_0575.1639578763.jpg

Nice rifle!

Does the temperature have any affect on the velocity of gas ram guns? I've never owned one.

It does as one would expect. Like tires on your car, when temperature goes up so does the pressure inside the gas ram. A higher BAR inside the ram results in higher pressure behind the pellet. I noticed, and documented, this phenomenon on the Sig Sauer ASP20 that I use to own. 

Hi Lewis. 
my R1 Has been retrofitted with a Theoben ram at Beeman in HB, Ca. Back in 2003.

I purchased this .20 R1K brand new in 5/97, and several years later wanted to increase the power a bit. My airgun guy suggested having him send it back to Beeman for the Theoben gas spring as he called it. So we did. That was March 2003

I have not had the ram out of it since it has returned from Beemans facility. So just short of 19 years and still going strong. As near as I can tell, it looks like the ram you show as I can see some milling marks in the groove that the shoe slides in.
The paperwork from Beeman is seen in the third picture 
I like the shot cycle of the gas spring guns
4DA843AB-35D5-4BC2-9D6A-ED247CF077D4.1639614959.jpeg
47A7368A-0BC5-4017-A916-E97A7DA5B608.1639614960.jpeg
4B4821AF-1607-4A2F-ABEB-861B8D18EFDB.1639614960.jpeg

Whyzee,

Great looking gun! I love the gas rams! The converted R1's the RX1and RX2 and of course the Theoben's. All excellent in their own way. The converted R1 has the advantage of the Rekord trigger but at the expense of the adjustable pressure ram. Just something about the build and bluing on the Theobens that sets them apart. Can't leave them alone.