• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman Beeman HW97 .20 cal update

Last spring I posted about my fortune to find this as-new right handed Beeman HW 97 in .20 caliber at the west coast airgun show and a number of members were polite enough to ask for a follow on post regarding its performance.

We’ll, I am not sure the gun had ever been fired and as expected it was packed full of grease. A couple of test shots when I got home were accompanied by excessive muzzle reports, my chronograph indicating the gun was making 18.5 fpe. Yikes! So I put it away as a rainy day project.

Winter has arrived and I finally got into the gun the other night, cleaned it and replaced the 15 year old seals. I am not a fan of heavy moly paste but that’s what I have on hand so lubed it up and put it back together. It has a fairly tight fitting main spring guide and a satisfying shot cycle, albeit a little slow at 13.5 fpe. Maybe a little too much lube or maybe the Vortek seal needs to wear in, I don’t know. Whatever the reason I am not inclined at this moment to chase more velocity as it feels and shoots great.

Below is my final (for this evening) 50 yard sight-in target. A tight little cluster slightly to the left followed by three slightly right after a few clicks for windage.

I think this gun is a keeper. I may have to put a proper field target scope on it and bring it to a match, lol!

CA61EA46-C665-4DD2-81A1-A6BAF4C67F66.jpeg

F2C1C9AF-89E8-4DCB-82AB-56C690BC6090.jpeg

Last edited:
Last spring I posted about my fortune to find this as-new right handed Beeman HW 97 in .20 caliber at the west coast airgun show and a number of members were polite enough to ask for a follow on post regarding its performance.

We’ll, I am not sure the gun had ever been fired and as expected it was packed full of grease. A couple of test shots when I got home were accompanied by excessive muzzle reports, my chronograph indicating the gun was making 18.5 fpe. Yikes! So I put it away as a rainy day project.

Winter has arrived and I finally got into the gun the other night, cleaned it and replaced the 15 year old seals. I am not a fan of heavy moly paste but that’s what I have on hand so lubed it up and put it back together. It has a fairly tight fitting main spring guide and a satisfying shot cycle, albeit a little slow at 13.5 fpe. Maybe a little too much lube or maybe the Vortek seal needs to wear in, I don’t know. Whatever the reason I am not inclined at this moment to chase more velocity as it feels and shoots great.

Below is my final (for this evening) 50 yard sight-in target. A tight little cluster slightly to the left followed by three slightly right after a few clicks for windage.

I think this gun is a keeper. I may have to put a proper field target scope on it and bring it to a match, lol!

View attachment 412779

View attachment 412780
WFTF springers!
Detune it to under 12 FPE.
2024 WFTF is coming up. It's only about 12 hours away from you by car. (even closer if you fly)
you still have time to switch.
It's once in a life time.

OMG 12 FPE, 12 hours, approximately 12 months away (well 10 months, I don't think Garrett has announced dates yet ...since you dragged your foot shooting that gun). It's an omen, The stars are almost lining up.
--
edit
dates were posted 11/13/24 to 11/17/24
He posted he's anticipating plenty of spaces for "regular" folks to shoot.
that 0.20 caliber would kick butt.

Last edited:
Reactions: r1lover