• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman Chief owners, what scope mounts did you go with to clear the magazine?

Just looking at images on Google, and yeah, that looks like a tough solution! That rifle NEEDS an adjustable cheek piece.

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/beeman-chief-pcp-air-rifle-test-review-177-cal/

"The HAM reviewers attached a Leapers 3-9 x 40 AO scope to the Chief for our tests. This is representative of the typical sort of scope that would be chosen by many Chief owners and the result worked well.

In order to fit the bell (front) of the scope above the rear sights, we used Leapers High Rings to mount the scope. However, if this were our own gun, the HAM testers would remove the rear sight and use Medium Height Rings to bring the eye line of the scope down closer to the barrel. It’s not too difficult to remove the rear sight from the Chief, but we know from experience that it’s rather more fiddly to re-install. So regard rear sight removal as a “one time” event if you choose to take that route."

Those are some tall rings! It's not clear that their idea of medium height rings would actually work giving the issue with the magazine They may have made that statement without being really aware. I know I have taken a lot of time to mount a scope to perfection only to realize afterwards that the magazine would not fit.

The only good news is it will have to be high enough to also clear the rear sight. I might be tempted to try to find see through mount rings for the iron sights, but I've yet to actually find a way to make that work.

Measurements tell me I need to have around 7/8" between the bottom of the scope and the dovetail. Of course to make the eye relief right for me the scope adjustment boss ends up directly above the magazine too. 30mm tube, 50mm bell and a magazine standing proud just aren't a good combination to work around. I have a set of high(.9") rings on the way from tinkerer1972 on ebay that tic the needed boxes, we'll see Wed. if they'll clear the needed parts.

medium utg rings for pic rail used with utg dovetail adapters clears it .. the 'saddle?' from bottom of scope bore to the top of the clamp cutout is about 3/4" ... thats used with the adapters though .. straight dovetails would need to be a bit taller probably 7/8ths or so ..

2 piece pic rail? A one piece rail looks like it'll block out the magazine too?

So the high(.9") rings are higher than needed. I'll need to get shorter ones when I can. I think I'm going to make a cheek riser out of plastic sheet and stick it on with double sided tape.

I shot a magazine through it this morning and the trigger is horrible coming from my centerfire rifles and even the Crossman Phantom with the added RC bearing is way better. I'll open it up, hardness test the trigger to gage it's ability to take a stoning, adjust the travels stops and lighten up the pull for starters.