Beeman Chief II?

So. Don't roast me too much. This is my first post here and I have been researching as much as I can about the PCP realm. 

I have found some relatively decent findings bout this particular PCP and wanted to know everyone's thoughts about it.

If you dislike it, what is something you would recommend to a beginner in this realm?

It will be utilized for small game (rabbits and squirrels) as well as practice for my son whom is 11. We go to the range with our AR's but ammo has been kinda pricey and I would like to have this as an additional training opportunity for him. 

Thanks

-Andrew

I had two in a row that leaked on me and bought a Benjamin fortitude generation two and has been good to me for several years. If I was to do it all over again I would buy the Dar PCP air rifle. Look up the company and take a look at their airgun. I have heard a lot of good reviews including people on here. I’ve heard of a couple people have complaints but so have I on $3000 air guns. The guns they sell now are also a generation two. The first generation had problems, so they recalled all the guns back and fixed the problems and now people are happy. There’s not many companies that will do that.A good review on YouTube to look at is Crosman 999(Dana)Which is also a member on here. That’s weird because I don’t see his video on there anymore but his buddy Wingman115 Has the video on there for sure because I just looked.

i have one in 177 .. its a heavy gun and needs to be tuned to be really great, out of the box it shoots to 45 alright and is acceptable accuracy but wastes alot of air .. the finish on the stock is easily marred, probably needs to be sealed with an application of true oil or something.. and the plastic moderator i dont like, needs to be got rid of and adapted to a 'real' moderator .. bottom line is in that category and class of gun the stormrider beats it hands down ... out of the box anyway .. it can be much better with some work and would probably make a higher quality feeling gun than the stormrider .. but not out of the box .. for a first gun, get a stormrider ....

Hello one of the most user friendly and easily supported pcp might be the Marauder pistol. It comes with a stock. Many after market up grades, TKO22 makes some nice stuff. Easy to fill with a hand pump. Bolt action repeater with 8 rd mags and you should get 4 mags before having to refill. All in all a nice little gun. I had one for a while sold it to a friend who is still shooting it. Great 30 yd gun, squirrels and rabbits should be no problem with in those distances. Well just my opinion and good luck in what you decide yo buy, Eric

A lot of the Chinese Guns Have lousy finishes on the stocks. You’re going to get all kinds of opinions and suggestions. There’s gonna be people tell you to buy the Avenger,But they have a problem with the valve Poppet failing. Another one I just thought of that would be a good first gun that will cost you a little more would be a Benjamin Cayden.Five year warranty and a walnut stock. I bought it’s brother though Akela And it is a very good shooter but not too comfortable for me because it is a bull pup.Some people like them but they’re just OK to me and I wish I would’ve bought the Cayden instead.I’m not gonna tell you to buy anything but instead make suggestions because that’s how I started out with budget PCPs. I did tons of research before I bought most of them. Too bad I didn’t do that with the Beeman chief 2.Although I thought it was a little heavy for its size, it was very accurate though. But two in a row that wouldn’t hold air is a no go for me.

Hello Abearden278,

I bought a .22 cal, Beeman Chief 2, to get into PCP. Right off the bat, I was not happy with the guns accuracy. I tried every ammo that I saw used in the review videos, and more with poor results. 2 to 3 inches at 50 yards. Not good enough to hit a Fox squirrel in the head at Fox squirrel range. I was also put off by the descending shot strings. That was when I discovered (Regulators), which the Chief doesn’t have. Then I learned that it could have a decent shot string by adjusting the hammer spring tension! I thought I noticed an improvement, but it was hard to tell. So I bought a FX, pocket chronograph, and discovered that the hammer spring adjustment wasn’t affecting my Chief 2, which means that I need to disassemble the gun and shorten the hammer spring a bit. That of course would void my warrantee, so... I contacted Beeman with my complaints and they said to give it another chance with some lighter JSB pellets. So they’re on order.
The last time I shot it, the bolt came loose, and it cut up the bolt railway, with shavings all over it before I realized it was loose. Now I’ve got that to repair. 
On the other hand I like the little gun, and shoot it a lot. Every now and then it rewards me with a hit right on the cross hairs getting my hopes up. I retired my hand pump, and bought a compressor, and a pellet scale, and a lot of targets, another gun with a regulator, and more problems, and lots of pellets, but I really am enjoying myself, expecting good results are around the corner.
Oh, by the way, my Chief has never leaked, it’s amazing in that regard. 

Hi again, Abearden278,

I also want to mention the open sights on the Beeman, Chief 2, come way out of sight alignment. I’m not the only one to mention this but, it will likely be as far as ten inches from bullseye at about 25 feet. Mine was completely missing the backstop. 
Speaking of sights!
Those sights are large, and in charge, of precious scope real estate. The blade needs to be removed IMO, for a good scope mount. Then the post needs to be removed, for a good view. 
👍