Beeman C1 rifle

By way of a trade, I have a Beeman C1. Actually made by Webley. No expert on which model Webley, and really want info, please. It is in .177 caliber, and despite the photo, it is clean. No rust, finish mostly correct. It is going to a tuner soon. What is worth fixing ( trigger pull) and ? I will be repacing seals, breech, and piston. Also new spring and lube. What practical range do these rifles shoot? Maybe as well as my FWB 124D, HW35E, and HW97K? I have never had one. Back in the 1980s, my buddy had one, but I never shot that either. Any real help or knowledge?
IMG-0066(1).jpg

Reactions: Rudolph Hucker
I had a C1 Carbine back in the 80’s. This is the rifle that inspired me to make carbines out of the Hatsan 95’s. The C1 is a handy little powerhouse. The trigger or lack of trigger was its downfall to me. I did enjoy that little rifle. Back then nobody I knew worked on an airgun to smooth out the behavior and do good trigger work. I finally decided to do my own. However, it was after the C1 was gone. To answer your question regarding accuracy, it is a ultra light magnum that translates into maximum hold sensitivity. It will challenge anyone’s shooting skills. With a good tuning and trigger job, you will really enjoy this little fellow. Congratulations!
F4D61517-E0A5-441F-A5B3-D856D912C8E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: snakedriver
I had a C1 Carbine back in the 80’s. This is the rifle that inspired me to make carbines out of the Hatsan 95’s. The C1 is a handy little powerhouse. The trigger or lack of trigger was its downfall to me. I did enjoy that little rifle. Back then nobody I knew worked on an airgun to smooth out the behavior and do good trigger work. I finally decided to do my own. However, it was after the C1 was gone. To answer your question regarding accuracy, it is a ultra light magnum that translates into maximum hold sensitivity. It will challenge anyone’s shooting skills. With a good tuning and trigger job, you will really enjoy this little fellow. Congratulations!View attachment 271569
Very nice. I'll try and get a Pic up of my Beeman Bear Cub . Where did you get those muzzle breaks?

The powerplant, receiver tube, trigger and guard, rear sight, etc., are the same on the Vulcan, Victor youth rifle, and C1. The C1's flat-faced rear receiver plug (the Vulcan's was rounded), short front sight, and smaller-diameter barrel are Victor bits, with the barrel slightly shortened. The stock is unique to the C1, designed with heavy influence from Beeman in the US. Except for the little safety cut-out in the wood, you can swap actions and stocks between all three models.

The C1 had three minor variations: 1) no safety; 2) added manual safety; 3) heavier barrel and wider, more setback, ribbed trigger blade. Variant 2 is most common and that's what yours looks like.

I've had three C1's. Love the size and weight, and they consistently shoot very accurately and amazingly hard, especially my last one (a third variant). But that flat grip angle hurts my wrist so I didn't hang on to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: d3vnull
Very nice. I'll try and get a Pic up of my Beeman Bear Cub . Where did you get those muzzle breaks?
Thanks. A friend gave me the metal muzzle brake on the top rifle. I could never find another one. He did not remember where it came from. The bottom one is the original front sight on the 95. I chucked in the drill press and turned it down into a muzzle brake. Been doing that since. The plain longer MB’s are hard to find. I like using the original poly end sight because I don’t have to wipe the barrel down after use.

Last edited:
This is what the Vulcan turned into. Stingray Deluxe Carbine .22 . Has a different breech block than the Vulcan. Improved walnut stock.
Does about 14 fpe.
Old school Tasco Airgun scope by Hakko
Same trigger as the C1 Mk3. Fake 2 stage. Just a spring loaded hinge in the trigger. Same as the Mk3 Vulcans. Mine's honed, lubed and adjusted. Works pretty well.
Same performance can be had from the earlier triggers. This gun is a blast to shoot. Factory threaded muzzle brake can be removed for a moderator. Factory "Spring tamer" guide allows no twang or vibration. Mine broke so I made a new one from Delrin.
P1010005-1.jpg
P1010015.JPG

I bought a C1 in .177cal back in 1985. They were rated at 830 fps and I couldn't
tell you if it achieved that as I didn't have a chronograph back then. I never cared
for it that much. Trigger wasn't great and getting shot strings to cluster was a
problem. They do sell on Ebay quite often and fetch good money. In immaculate
condition expect $400. This seller on ebay is a little greedy ! Will never sell !

S
uper fun little carbine. The older straight grip stock sans safety version is personally appealing. Beeman included a nice booklet with complete takedown instructions making it a great project for first-timers. Bought my first one in 1982 together with the Beeman (Hakko) 2.5x scope and haven't been without one since. They are twangy and there is not much you can do about the sucky trigger,
. But there is just something about them. They greatly benefit from a soft tune.

The trigger's not bad if you lightly polish the sear and adjust it. Just make sure it won't bump fire. Same basic trigger as Vulcans and Stingrays. Some have fake 2 stage at no advantage. A delrin spring guide works wonders. Webley springs are pretty good. Softening it changes it's raucous character that I don't mind. Webleys can be snappy. I don't want all my guns to shoot soft. You might. IDK

I have found those old, stout steel, firm but crisp single-stage release, univerally-criticised-by-reviewers Webley triggers an interesting thing to contemplate.

Years ago, US air pistol champion Don Nygord had an excellent web site. One article there that sticks in my mind was about setting the trigger pull weight. He felt it was distracting to go SO light, that the trigger finger was not doing something "proportional" to the rest of your hand. In other words - if you find yourself conciously having to think, "Don't pull the trigger yet!" - you're focusing on the wrong stuff.

I have found this a useful context for thinking about other triggers. I was recently chugging about in some hilly woods with a Webley Tracker sidelever (same trigger as the Vulcan "family"). I'd always thought of it as a mediocre trigger; but y'know, to an old, fat, sweaty, winded guy - that unit suddenly felt GREAT. It magically became smooth and intuitive, where finessing a 1-pound, 2-stage, match-y sort of thin alloy blade would have been weird.

Call me stupid, but I gained a lot of respect for Webley's designers in that moment!

Last edited:
I have always assumed these are the same as a Vulcan except for the stock. I have a Vulcan mk 1 with a shortened barrel and while the trigger is average, it's a hard and accurate shooter right at 12ftlb. the twang totally disappeared when I added a delrin spring guide and top hat. The spring tamer they used really was pretty crappy, not sure what the thinking was with that part vs a true spring guide. My Stingray is much nicer than the vilcan and the trigger a bit more refined. I rebuilt mine with a full tune kit I believe from Chambers which included the delrin spring guide and it shoots great with no twang at @13ftlb. I pretty much like all the Webleys, such nice looking rifles.

Vulcan, C1, Stingray. All these guns use the same basic trigger. Later ones have the fake 2 stage. A spring loaded hinge in the trigger. Doesn't affect the release. Polish the sear very carefully! Apply some moly to the surface. Back the screw on top of the trigger block off until the creep is gone. There's a spring under that screw that can be replaced with a lighter one but you have to take the thing apart to get it in n out. Now you'll have a nice trigger on your Webley. Have fun getting the trigger parts back in place! It's not that bad.
8469D227-CF85-4449-91A2-50D51611252B.jpeg
DFEEC7D9-B0C0-4D94-A02C-25B4476158EB.jpeg