Beeman Beeman 2028 with carbine stock

20231229_184124.jpg

My plans for a hawke vantage fell through, so I stuck a CVLife scope on it and it's plenty for the gun. I temporarily put my Koi on so I could test and tune. Lost the light, but had Air Arms 16 grain fitting into a dime at 25 yards. Will test more pellets tomorrow.

Ordered a matte twill carbon fiber tube for the shroud, and will be running an NP Trail baffle I had laying around. They worked good enough to make a 35 fpe 22 pretty quiet, so this 17 fpe rig should be like a mouse fart.

Set up doing 680-700-670s for 20 shots on a 3200 psi fill with the 16 grains.

All in all, with the gun and scope, moderator adapter and shroud parts, I'm in to this build for $290. That's not counting the Fiberglass and sandpaper/paint which I already had, but let's say another 20 bucks. Not bad at all for what I've got. Best of all, it'll be 33" and under 6lbs when done.

Got out this frosty morning and took some more shots at 25 yards with the hotter tune. Was low for the first couple shots, then on for about 10 shots, then it went all to the right on me. I'm guessing the extra air behind the pellet is causing turbulence in the moderator and shifting my POI. Going to drop it back to 625-650 fps and see what happens.

I want this thing to give me 2 mags/20 shots at POA. If it doesn't cooperate, I will go inside and change the spring first. If that doesn't help, then polishing the barrel and recrown, which I doubt is the issue since it'll stack 6 or so pellets together. The other option, is to restrict the transfer port and bring power back up with the hammer spring and higher pressure.

OK, I've fiddled with this enough today. I can make it do 750s with 16 grain pellets, but for 10 shots and horrible accuracy past 15 yards. Or I can dial it back into the 575 fps range and have good accuracy, but point of impact keeps rising because no matter how I adjust the spring or pressure, it's just too much curve.

I'll have to hit the hardware store for some different springs to try. The stock spring is long and very stiff. I need something either of lighter gauge, or even stiffer and shorter to make the hammer free flight.

Testing at 50 cents a mag is getting costly, but of course this thing has expensive taste. Why can't it just like crosman pellets?! Lol.

Other options are finding a regulator that fits it, or as I mentioned before, restricting the transfer port on the valve. That has worked wonders for me on the crosman 22xx and QB78 platforms when I had wonky shot strings.

Figured out my accuracy issues. I thought I had pellets clipping the Koi, but it's a 25 cal moderator and never gave me trouble on my 25. I tried a different moderator I cobbled together, and still had issues.

Then I started having pellet loading issues and it all came clear. My breech o-ring had been blown out. Luckily the ones for my old BSA Ultra I had fit the groove.