• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Beeman 1357 Underlever experience and thoughts?

I bought and tested one out for a bit. Out of the box the trigger was horrible - really long & heavy single stage without a predictable break. One member here said that he worked on his and got it better. But the thing he said he did first was to lubricate it and that helped a lot. I tried lubricating mine, and it did help a lot, but the trigger was still tough to like. Accuracy was acceptable with the gun at the 25 yards I shot it, but wasn't ever going to be good mainly due to the trigger.

I shoot mainly off the bench so the underlever cocking was a bit of a PITA. I think that they all come with a 4 power scope, but I never even tried it. IIRC I put an inexpensive Bug Buster 3-9 on it while I was testing it out.

The gun is pretty heavy.

I ended up selling mine off to a member here for a cheap price. I also paid $250 for mine at AOA, but looks like they are now out of stock.

So they are cheap, and mine did shoot a pellet every time I cocked it and pulled the trigger, and it is a PCP so it is easier to cock and shoot as compared to a springer. 

That is all.

EDIT: I looked back on my records, and being an inexpensive gun I only chrono tested it with inexpensive (CPHP) pellets. Mine was a .22 cal and it shot those 14.3 gr pellets at an average muzzle velocity of 735 fps.

I have the .177 cal. and really like the gun after I made some modifications to the trigger linkage and adjusted the hammer spring. The trigger linkage rod is threaded at the ends, but is too long to adjust so I cut about 1/8” off and the trigger pull went from a very long first stage with a 12 LB pull second stage, to a short first stage with a crisp 3 LB pull second stage. To adjust the velocity I had to back the hammer spring adjustment almost all the out before the velocity started to decrease. I have been getting 3/8” 5 shot groups at 25 yards after tuning the hammer spring and modifying the trigger. The under level action is quick and smooth.

The only real problem I have is with BEEMAN’s customer service, I have been trying to contact them by phone and through their web site for over 3 weeks with a question about their magazines and have not got any response from them.

Kuzey by Kral has a nice underlever. Shoots 15.89 JSB at about 900fps out of the box. With the added front stock length you can use a bipod and still access the under lever. Looks good too and the barrel is much less likely to be bumped off POI.

20211109_093531.1636515819.jpg

I have a Beeman under lever and think it’s a good bag for the buck. I purchased the 1357 in .177 and wish I had purchased the 1358 in .22. The trigger isn’t great but I oiled it up and the gun is very shootable without any modifications. I shoot almost entirely off hand and for me the under lever cocking is the best cocking system I’ve tried on any bullpup. I dislike the fiddley cocking levers, on most bullpups, that are back next to your ear. My main gripe about the underlever Beeman is the availability of additional magazines. The Beeman 10-shot auto-indexing magazine in .177 Cal., for the QB II model 1085 CO2 rifle, Chief II PCP rifle, and Commander PCP rifle will work in the Beeman 1357. I assume that the Beeman 10-shot auto-indexing magazine in .22 Cal., for the same Beeman rifles, would work in the 1358.
The magazines for the Benjamin Marauder and the Umarex Gauntlet air rifles will also fit the Beeman 1357; but DO NOT TRY TO USE THEM! Because of the oblong hole in these magazines, the pellet push pin will pull pellets out the back of the magazine when the bolt is retracted. The pellets that come out the back of the magazine will fall down into the receiver and stop the gun from firing. The pellets end up blocking the hammer from striking the valve. If this happens, the gun will have to be dissembled to remove the pellets. I did it twice; before figuring out what was happening.

I'll add to this thread because I got my Beeman 1357 just last week and so far I am loving it! The gun is easy to shoulder even though it is heavy but that's not a problem. It's all metal except the rail for attaching the scope and the cheek rest. The Under Lever is a dream come true, the gun is easy to cock and I do most of my shooting on a $39.00 Walmart folding table using a bipod attached to the $20.00 barrel band that I purchased from Buck-Rail. I use a bipod so the lever isn't blocked by anything and is super easy to use. The gun isn't silent but I solved that problem with a $24.00 Buck-Rail suppressor. Because the airgun is a bullpup the scope has to mounted 2 inches above the rail but this isn't a problem as the scope is at eye level. I'm currently shooting Crosman PHP pellets but a very accurate so no complaints. I'm sure it'll be more accurate once I find the right pellet and have my gun dialed it. My gun is currently set to factory specifications but I'm hoping for a sunny day so I can check velocity on my chronograph and adjust the hammer spring so I can set the velocity in the 700 fps range because my backyard range is limited to 25-30 yards and I don't need the power since I don't hunt except for the occasional rodent. As for the trigger everyone complains about I don't think it's a problem. It forces you to shoot better imo because you have to be conscience about the trigger pull and once you get used to it you'll do okay with it. I think the trigger will get better on its own after a few tins of pellets. If I ever have to go into the gun to solve a problem I'll probably lube it then. I could modify the linkage for a better trigger if I wanted to but I don't work on guns while they are under warranty!