Beautiful but windy day at 300 yards, so close yet so far!

Made it to the 300 yard range today after days of cold wind, the day started out out quite windy with gust up to 11mph but calmed to about 5mph toward closing time. Biggest problem with that range has always been constantly switching/swirling winds, the direction changes constantly. Obviously when it switching direction by at least 100 degrees the groups are going to open up…..a lot. Finally around 3pm the wind started to calm a little bit more importantly it would stay somewhat consistent for a about 3-5 seconds. 

Was shooting the crown with 600mm .22 barrel pushing the 24.8 grain slugs at about 950fps. I got a box to try so figured I’ll just burn through them. The BC is 0.08 which is pretty descent. This target thanks to swirling wind I was off paper at times, but as wind calmed I was able to get a descent cluster in the middle. 
4EAE5709-3DE5-41B4-A2EA-D5D3555165AD.1646012862.jpeg

Switched between the 2 targets, on this target the top section was at the very beginning, the middle got better as the wind changed direction a bit slower. Shot the last group on the bottom when I noticed the wind calmed and I got a few good shoots in the center of the other target so I figured to give the bottom section a try. Watched the “wind flag” on the target and the barrel, very carefully I timed the shots and it looked really good from the scope. Then I measured it at home and doh!!! 3.1 inch or just over 1 MOA at 300 yards. So the sub MOA at 300 yards goal is still eluding me! Gonna try again with 27.5 grain slugs next time. 

CAF3B1DF-EA35-454F-99C2-609E57C77363.1646014928.jpeg

over all a great day at the range, now I’m debating if I should switch to my 700mm .25 barrel so I can join the double 700 club or the 700cc and 700mm club! Hahaha 

edit: going through my range bag today and totally forgot this group i shot at 150 yards before the 300 yard groups. Pretty happy with that given the wind was kicking. 
C22368DB-E04F-47D0-92F7-AA6E7FE3C193.1646452499.jpeg

Actually at 300 yards MOA is 3.141 inches. So as far as I’m concerned, you’re the first one to break MOA at 300, at least on this website.

Plus your group was seven shots. That’s an awesome awesome group. I’d like to see how small you could shoot one at five shots.

Fantastic shooting!

mike

WHOA!!! Had to look it up and you are right! You just made my morning! Thanks!!! 😁👍👍

Will definitely try again with the 27.5 grain NSA, it should be a little bit more forgiving in the wind. I forgot how many shots in that group but with my luck the 5 shot group isn’t any smaller. 🤣

Three hundred yards is so very far! That’s incredible to be able to do that. I’m looking forward to trying more long range shooting. Thanks for sharing your success. Is your aim point on something high above the target? Or do you shim the scope to be able to do it?

The gun is zeroed at 50 yards and needs 20.6 mils of elevation which equates to 18.5 feet. I am fortunately enough to have a scope that can dial that much elevation, once elevation is dialed I was adjusting for wind and spin drift between 1 mil to 2.5 mil or about 16 inches plus or minus up to about .8 mil for vertical deviation at the beginning. As the wind calmed down i was using about 1.8-2.2 mil for wind correction but primary trying to time the shots on the horizontal 2.2 mil hash mark based on the wind flag. It would be very very difficult to be precise if you have to focus on hold over especially if you don’t have a good reference points. 

My scope is crimson trace series 5 I got on sale. Most good quality 34mm scope will have enough elevation to dial 20 miles and some even a bit more. The gold standard is 120 MOA or about 30 mils. Most quality 30mm scopes can dial about 10 mils with a 20moa base which is enough for 200 yards if you shoot good BC projectiles above 900fps. The crown has 20MOA built into the rail and I also have eagle vision adjustable rings with a slight tilt but mainly is there to clear the scope from the mag. I would highly recommend the eaglevision rings over the FX rings especially at the same price for the 34mm rings. 

definitely give long range shooting a try, it’s like meditation and good for the soul……that’s my excuse at least! 😝

Mr. Q.

After finally getting on paper at 300 yards I now have to rip my scope off and put one on with a 34 mm tube. Damn.

I didn’t realize it would make that much difference. Unfortunately I can’t use rings that are adjustable because I have weaver bases. The amount has some droop. But I think I need double.

I’m going to pick the 34 mm Scope I have with the longest tail… on the reticle.

I am so excited to be able to see my impacts soon. Well, after it warms up outside.

mike

Mr. Q.

After finally getting on paper at 300 yards I now have to rip my scope off and put one on with a 34 mm tube. Damn.

I didn’t realize it would make that much difference. Unfortunately I can’t use rings that are adjustable because I have weaver bases. The amount has some droop. But I think I need double.

I’m going to pick the 34 mm Scope I have with the longest tail… on the reticle.

I am so excited to be able to see my impacts soon. Well, after it warms up outside.

mike

Mr. Sack

I know you have been a long time fan of the Japanese variety, may I suggest the Genesis or Genesis Mini?

89C342F2-71C7-4381-9F48-6ED0B48CF47F.1646091008.jpeg

😂 😂🤣🤣

Lol, I have been considering. I didn’t know there was a mini. I’m actually kicking myself for not buying one back when they changed distributors during Covid.

mike

the Mini or 4-40 is more than enough, just wait a little and opticsplanet would have 10% off sales site wide and they include March. I should of gotten the mini when it was on sale, maybe next Black Friday. Still a bit rich for my blood though, need to put more lunch money away or better yet the stock market have a full recovery.

even 40x might be a waste anyways, I was having hard time seeing the target thanks to the mirage at only 24x so I turned it down to 18x. Plus had to zooming out so I can see the wind flag better. 

I've used the H59 reticle a lot throughout the years in different scopes, its one of my favorite reticles. I was able to hit a larger steel at 675Y with a 22rf using 20 mils dialed on and holding over another 18 mils. Being FFP I had to dial down to 12x or so IIRC.

On SURELY I have 25 or so moa machined into my picattiny base, and 40 mils of total travel in the March 5-42x56 (not sure how close to bottomed out the turret is exactly), but I still have to holdover about 4 mils at 300Y. Only 793 fps with the 42gr slugs I use. I think if I had a 40 moa base I'd have a little elevation left to dial at 300Y??? Just FYI in case you can make use of this info.

Thanks @steve123, which March scope has 40 mils of elevation? That’s 40mm scope territory unless you got one of the genesis. 

Sightron S8 ED is on sale at sighteon site for 19999, it’s the cheapest 40mm scope with 40 mils of elevation adjustment, pretty impressive. Some people on sniper hide is reporting 45 mils of actually total elevation adjustment. It’s horribly tempting, keep in mind that it is 3lb scope or bench only. 
https://sightron.com/collections/sightron-instant-savings/products/sviii-ed-5-40x56-ffp-ir-zero-stop

HOWEVER the genesis mini trumps the sightron with 86mils of elevation adjustment or 250 MOA! It’s practically a mortar sight! Go big or go home right? LOL

im super happy that my crimson trace at half of the cost of even the sightron S8 has 30mils or 120 MOA elevation so works great out to 300 yards but will need hold over at 400 yards. Genesis is really about the only solution. The only downside to Genesis is the cost obviously and the eye piece alignment changes as you dial that much elevation because the entire scope moves.

Thanks @steve123, which March scope has 40 mils of elevation? That’s 40mm scope territory unless you got one of the genesis. 

Here's the specs;

This March 5-42×56 Wide Angle scope is developed for serious competition shooters,

enthusiasts and hunters who demand the utmost in optical and mechanical performance from their rifle scopes.

This rifle scope has 2 super ED lenses, which provides the highest level of optical quality.

The March 5-42X56 FFP Wide Angle has a total adjustment range of 40mrad,

which is eminently suitable for ELR shooting, without the need for a canted rail.

The eyepiece is the new March Wide Angle model that provides a greater field of view throughout the 8.4X zoom range.

Specification (It is unlikely but there may be a last minute change as we are currently conducting final acceptance tests.)

Effective lens diameter(mm) : 56mm temperature tolerant anti-drift

Windage/Elevation turret :1 click 0.1mrad, 10mrad per 1turn

Total travel amount : Elevation: 40mrad ,Windage: 14mrad

Illumination : 6 level illumination switch

Eyepeice : 26 degree wide angle, fast focus diopter

Body tube : 34mm diameter

Overall length : 358mm (14.1in)

Weight : 950g (33.5oz)

5-42x56-image2.png

Oh wow!!! That the most impressive 34 mm scope specs I’ve ever seen!!! AND only 34 oz!!! That is pretty incredible! Granted at a pretty incredible price. 🤣

Damn!!! That’s a really tough choice between that high master and the Genesis mini!!! For 200 dollars more I would probably still go with the Genesis though, still twice the elevation plus always optically centered.