• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BEAT MY RECORD (Well the RedWolf did)

Which is pretty much how the guys shoot 25M BR. Big heavy blocked front rest and rear blocked in bag for rear rest, and POA adjusted by turning knobs or a joystick. Then stand up and watch wind flags with hand on trigger and pull trigger without watching through scope. Not everyone shoots that way but it is fairly common...

Which is pretty much how the guys shoot 25M BR. Big heavy blocked front rest and rear blocked in bag for rear rest, and POA adjusted by turning knobs or a joystick. Then stand up and watch wind flags with hand on trigger and pull trigger without watching through scope. Not everyone shoots that way but it is fairly common...

Hey Mike I’ve been thinking about this and think about it differently than before. If you think of the score as total points then away for the errors the shooter makes. If we presume most 50m rest shooters can put pellet on pellet then the score becomes a measure of the mistakes the shooter makes. They except to get a 10 but occasionally make an error. 
I know in the end of course the top score wins but the top shooters are separated the 1 or 2 tiny misjudgments. They start knowing they have a chance to score a perfect card. 
It’s just a different way to look at it. 
Michael

Makes sense to me. For 25M you are correct. For 50Y BR they can get close, but even if they read wind perfectly they might not get a perfect score. Lots of 250s in 25M, but 240 at 50Y is a world class score. It also depends more on the wind at 50Y. At the 50Y EBR2019 it was very windy and out of over 100 shooters I think the top score was 680-ish for 3 cards. 

So if I wanted to "train" to shoot competition BR what do you guys recommend?

I mean honestly even though the RedWolf is shooting lights out is that the right gun? I also have it in .25 coming Wednesday or do I need .30?

I am working on getting repeatable accuracy (meaning I pull the trigger the same each time, check weld is the same etc.).....Am I in the ball park or what else should I focus on?

Sorry for all the questions but I am a hunter turned BR shooter so am learning as I go!!

Thank You!!

Dr. Mike 

It’s all about having an accurate repeatable gun, then being able to judge the wind...

So 25m benchrest isn't really about actual shooting skills, is it? 50m kinda. But at 100m I was reading from you in another thread that pellets at that range there's really a component of luck into who wins.

250 isn’t that common. In 10m air rifle they changed the 10 from 1mm to .5 at the introduction of the Feinwerkbau 300 series. 
I don’t shoot bench rest competitions at all but I don’t think there at the point where they feel they have to change the rules. I have had a go at 25m here at home. The targets are easy to get and print off. Give it a go. 
Dr Mike that is a fantastic group if you want to get into BR Cc is your man! 

It’s all about having an accurate repeatable gun, then being able to judge the wind...

So 25m benchrest isn't really about actual shooting skills, is it? 50m kinda. But at 100m I was reading from you in another thread that pellets at that range there's really a component of luck into who wins.

Before you say it isn't about "skill", you should give it a try. Not as easy as you seem to think it is. Even a barely perceptible 2-3 mph wind will throw you off that illusive 2mm 10 dot. So yes, as easy as it may seem to have the gun rested, it isn't easy. Try it. BTW, the X dot is about the same size as the o in this text.

Crusher

So I printed one if the AoA targets and at 75 got this...

20 shots, 25.39 .22 JSB Redesigned, 4 MPH wind from the southeast...

1595040102_946971145f12616601f7e1.90683325.jpg

Based on the comment below I need to shrink it to a 2mm 10 ring?

I checked EBR etc. and it looks like everyone shoots .30 for the 100 yard competition?

Is the .25 RedWolf better suited for that or will the .22 work (both HP versions) or should I get the .30 Safari if I want to really get serious?

If money were not an issue which gun would you want to have with you for the 100 yard EBR or RMAC etc.?

Thanks again guys for all the input and advice!!

Dr. Mike 

Try shooting the EBR Target Challenge in this forum. You’ll find shooting for score requires much more skill than shooting groups. 
That is a very good group at 75 yards by the way. I think .30 is the most popular caliber for EBR type events, but .22 RD Monsters are gaining in popularity due to slightly better BC and the ability to shoot them accurately at a speed about 100 FPS faster. I haven’t seen many .25 in the past two years. Once Ted shifted from his .25 Impact shooting Mk2 Heavies to win EBR 2016, then switched to .30 it seemed usage of .25 went down considerably. That gun you currently have is as competitive as any gun money can buy. And you didn’t even have to tune it! How crazy is that? I sold my EBR winning .30 FX Bobcat Mk2 and shifted to a .22 Daystate Red Wolf (Bleu) HP. That step wasn’t taken lightly.

Man Centercut thank you so much for the advice!!

Ha, had a Safari .30 in my cart but read your message before hitting "pay now"!

I will say the DaySate is absolutely nuts....Took it out of the box and cleaned the barrel and it shoots the 25.39 at 990 like a laser....I would have thought that would be way to fast but as you saw it sure seems to work!!

One of my FX Crowns I have tuned in .30 at 850 and that WAS my most accurate but this things beats it for sure!

ONE last question, what size should the center ring be on the targets for 75 and 100 bench rest? Want to make sure I scale them correctly.....

MUCH appreciated,

Dr. Mike 

Wow Dr Mike. The 40 yard group was good, but that 75 yard group was much more impressive, especially considering we also know they were also in the spot you were aiming. That group isn’t easy for any rifle, and in the bull, and 20 shots!! That is an excellent rifle.

Makes me wish I had not given up my RW. I only got rid of mine when I needed money and got out of the sport for a while. Haven’t picked up another as I decided to try out some other rifles when I came back. I might have to consider going back to one! Dang!!

You might be selling lots of RW 22 HPs right now for AOA! Guys looking to sell theirs might be getting more right now too due to your thread.

Target sizes at EBR. Same for both 75 and 100 yards. The ones I posted for download on the forum are the same if you print without selecting print to fit. To check just measure the 8 ring should be 2 inches exactly

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/ebr-target-challenge/

• X ring ……… 0.200
  • 10 ring……… 0.475
  • 9 ring………. 1.250
  • 8 ring………. 2.000
  • 7 ring……… 2.800
  • 6 ring……… 3.580
  • 5 ring……… 4.36
  • 4 ring……….5.125