Beastly, but portly gals…

A lot of PCP air rifles and bull-pups look like M60s, particularly the bottle guns. yes they are short and powerful. But after scope and bipod mounting on the top/bottom/side rails? They start to get “tall” and resemble the “super structure” on an aircraft carrier. They look heavy, but in a condensed form. I work a physical job and am no stranger to lifting or hauling. But when out and about doing what I do with my guns, I want light, handy and svelte. With my heavier PCPs, I was limited to mostly “over watch” setups. Had a lot of success, but when traipsing around the gun would reveal it field weight. Ratting with an Artemis pp700sa, showed me what a super light rig was capable of. That started my downward progression in size and power for my uses. You guys know I’m crazy about my Atomic XR, well mostly just crazy. Kidding aside, I like to walk around with my rig. Yes, I had slings on my rifles, but they were still heavy. Adding binos around neck, range finder, etc. Simply was more weight than I wanted to handle for fun. This isn’t a “knock” on any particular PCPs. We all ogle the rigs posted here and elsewhere, this is just one man’s opinion. Thoughts?

P.S. FXs’ new Panthera is and a sweet example of a PCP rifle that stays svelte after adding a scope and bipod.

I’m not interested to own any guns I can’t comfortably shoot off hand. That’s what I love most about my EVOL 15. It is pretty beastly performance-wise but still light weight @ 7 lbs with excellent balance. When changing the stock, I looked hard at the Magpul prs, but just couldn’t do it due to the weight penalty.

I've grown tired of all the big heavy guns myself. The only thing you really get out of them is extra shot count. Those long air tubes make them front heavy. Bullpups get to your neck sometimes if you don't have the scope sitting 2 foot off the bore.

I chopped up a couple kral guns to make my new mega thumbhole and it's about perfect for me. 33.5" long and 20 shots for a walking gun is plenty. I can dial it back some on the power to get more, but 38 fpe in 25 cal is about as low as I like to go, considering it's good for squirrel and up to whistle pigs and coons.

This is why the original Daystate Huntsman Classic still remains the most perfect airgun in my eyes. That short air tube gave it unparalleled aesthetics while keeping it light and wieldy. Big bottles and high shot counts are awesome and definitely have a place in my collection, but grabbing a simple modest cylinder gun has been very compelling lately.

The only gripe I have with the huntsman, and it's minimal, is its gunna be past 40 inches long with a moderator on it.

It's still the top contender on my high end gun list when I get there to buy one.

I hear you! If they released an homage to the classic with the short air tube and a 12" carbine barrel so the gun was 35" OAL... I would camp outside the factory to ensure I had the first one.

A lot of PCP air rifles and bull-pups look like M60s, particularly the bottle guns. yes they are short and powerful. But after scope and bipod mounting on the top/bottom/side rails? They start to get “tall” and resemble the “super structure” on an aircraft carrier. They look heavy, but in a condensed form. I work a physical job and am no stranger to lifting or hauling. But when out and about doing what I do with my guns, I want light, handy and svelte. With my heavier PCPs, I was limited to mostly “over watch” setups. Had a lot of success, but when traipsing around the gun would reveal it field weight. Ratting with an Artemis pp700sa, showed me what a super light rig was capable of. That started my downward progression in size and power for my uses. You guys know I’m crazy about my Atomic XR, well mostly just crazy. Kidding aside, I like to walk around with my rig. Yes, I had slings on my rifles, but they were still heavy. Adding binos around neck, range finder, etc. Simply was more weight than I wanted to handle for fun. This isn’t a “knock” on any particular PCPs. We all ogle the rigs posted here and elsewhere, this is just one man’s opinion. Thoughts?

P.S. FXs’ new Panthera is and a sweet example of a PCP rifle that stays svelte after adding a scope and bipod.
Its the one thing of a couple things I adore about my AEA Element R in .25

Even after adding the Athlon Argos Gen II scope on it, the Element is still really nice to carry around the barn yard for several hours. Starts out very light and remains lighter than most PCP's its size and punching power.

Different guns for different purposes. "Shoehorning" isn't the best idea for all purposes.
Use the most ideal gun for the job at hand while considering the upsides as well as the downsides of the situation.

Heavy, powerful, long-ish, works great for certain types of matches.
Medium/midway/middle of. Works for many situations but often doesn't excel at but a few of them.
Lightweight and compact works for a specific type of plinking or hunting.

Reactions: L.Leon
My first pcp was a Mrod a long time ago . And after mounting a large hi power scope it was just to dam heavy to enjoy hunting with. I would mostly grab the Prod for squirrels , starlings and pesting around the house and shop. I ended up selling the Mrod and have no regrets.

One of the reasons I went with the Maverick is the 6.5 lbs on the compact. Mine is the VP , but with the 300cc carbon fiber bottle it should be under 7lbs . And I always check the weight of scopes anymore . Light is right .

@steve123, “shoehorning” was not the intention… we understand it’s “horses for courses”. Pesting and walkabout hunting was the Referenced usage.
Sorry I didn't intend my statement in an off putting way and am glad you found what works for you.

It might be just me but if a gun is super lightweight I don't shoot it offhand well, or up to the potential I am used to off a bench either, but it'd be nice if walking around with all day long.
If I had to choose between a super lightweight gun or a heavy gun for walking around well I suppose we know what the answer is.

Ideally for me is going towards the light medium part of the scale for hunting. Something like a Daystate Revere with a Athlon Heras 2-12 on top is my idea of a walk around gun and since I rarely hunt I don't own this combo. I have friends that have 4 Regal's which is the previous Gen of the Revere so I'm fairly familiar with these and actually one guy is our state FT champion with his Regal. Since I lean towards comps I prefer the heavier guns for my uses. The closest I have to this is a FX Royale which does great for hunting but is slightly on the longer side.
I don't know exactly why but it feels weird to me walking around with a bullpup even though they are short-ish???

My Revere sports an old Weaver Grand Slam Tactical from midwayusa. 1" tube 3-10x40 with mildot and mil target knobs, Japanese glass. Wish I had bought more of them when they were $200. Keeps the gun light and manageable. Wish there were more 1" lightweight scopes with Japanese glass and reticles.

I've been grabbing the Gamo Urban when doing yard work and just lean against something or lay it down somewhere. Its 6.7 lbs and I put a lightweight 4x hawke scope on it. It's shooting 14.3g pellets at 860 fps average and around 30 shots. Low cost so no need to baby it.

I wonder if the single shot Daystate huntsman would be better for hunting. Seems like you could use lower scope mounts . The Huntsman is on my short list also.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxtrouble
Portly gals need love too
Yes, yes they do…
I've been grabbing the Gamo Urban when doing yard work and just lean against something or lay it down somewhere. Its 6.7 lbs and I put a lightweight 4x hawke scope on it. It's shooting 14.3g pellets at 860 fps average and around 30 shots. Low cost so no need to baby it.

I wonder if the single shot Daystate huntsman would be better for hunting. Seems like you could use lower scope mounts . The Huntsman only short list also.
The Urban was my first PCP, she was exceptional. Should’ve never let her go, lightweight and deadly. Keep yours if you can. Typing this makes me want another one. My furthest, range finder measured kill was 80 friggin yards on a picket pinning chipmunk. Easily hand pumpable, BSA barrel and lineage, an overlooked gem.

Last edited:
Never thought I’d care a lot for a bullpup design. I still definitely like a classic wood stock rifle aesthetically much better. However, I just bought and received an FX Maverick compact. Holy smokes is this going to be a walk around off hand shooting machine. It’s light, tiny and a powerhouse. When I shoot it is obvious the thing is barely idling pushing 25.39’s at 900 fps.

Yep, agree 100%. This is where my petite DreamTacs shine.

Yes, yes they do…

The Urban was my first PCP, she was exceptional. Should’ve never let her go, lightweight and deadly. Keep yours if you can. Typing this makes me want another one. My furthest, range finder measured kill was 80 friggin yards on a picket pinning chipmunk. Easily hand pumpable, BSA barrel and lineage, an overlooked gem.

I picked up the Urban for my father in law. He has a hook on one arm and wanted something for pesting. So I figured he could learn how to use it but he struggled with the magazine, the safety and a scope with AO was beyond him. So I'm on the hunt for a lightweight single shot for a one armed 74 year old guy , I already purchased a fixed parallax scope for him. Any suggestions. ? Might even try a co2 airgun for him. He's just pesting between 10 to 30 yards.

Good news for me is the Urban fills the gap between the Prod and Maverick . The first ten shot group I shot with it was a raged 1/2" hole at 25y. Fixed the trigger pull weight so it's good to go. It's a keeper.