Bear vs Texan

Ok. I only posted this so other people could learn.
Fuznutz:
I don’t need a bunch of pigeon shooters telling me about bears.
You don’t have to believe what I am telling you but that is how it happened.
I am not going to post all of the videos that I have from my bait to prove what I already know. I have gone over the videos multiple times and am 99% sure that it was the same bear.
I don’t like being called a liar. If it continues I will not answer any more posts.

Reactions: ThomasT
I was just trying to get a conversation going about what works and what doesn’t for big game. Not start an argument.
I have always wanted to go pig hunting with the air rifle but have not had the opportunity. I was able to get a javalina in Mexico last January with the air gun but that is not quite the same thing. I was trying for a coues deer but ended up using powder burner.
I have a short range weapon elk tag that I should be out trying to fill instead of playing on the internet.

@hybridvigor If I were you I wouldn’t worry too much about the back-and-forth discussions in AGN threads. We do this a lot. Some of us are pretty familiar with the personalities of other members and expect certain biases, optimism, or skepticism. Try not to let us rub you the wrong way in that regard, but if you take offense to something I say feel free to address or PM me.

If you’re thinking of doing some airgun hog hunting in Texas PM if you like. I haven’t paid to go on any excursions but I have looked up some ranches for others and I’m aware of some places in a couple different parts of the state. I’ve only gotten after hogs with airguns after they’ve become pests on private property.

Reactions: JimNM
Ok. I only posted this so other people could learn.
Fuznutz:
I don’t need a bunch of pigeon shooters telling me about bears.
You don’t have to believe what I am telling you but that is how it happened.
I am not going to post all of the videos that I have from my bait to prove what I already know. I have gone over the videos multiple times and am 99% sure that it was the same bear.
I don’t like being called a liar. If it continues I will not answer any more posts.
FWIW- We are not all just pigeon shooters on here.

A white blaze on the chest is not an uncommon marking on black bears. As a man with experience it's odd that your conclusion is that it's the same bear.

There is another one out there with a hole in it.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricochet and JimNM
I carry a 10mm Glock with me when I go for bear. Not sure that it would do much but it makes my wife more comfortable. At least I could make 15 big bangs/holes.

I have killed bear with my 50 cal muzzleloader but it shoots jacketed bullets and not hollow points.

This guy seems to agree with you and testing bears it out. 10 mm penetrations about as good as the rest of them but you have faster follow-up shots.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
I had a neighbor who had been an outfitter for years and I asked him what to get. He told me that the caliber was not as important as the frame size. His idea was that a larger frame would cause the bear to choke death on the gun while he was eating you so your wife would have part of your body to bury.

Personally I like the idea of 15 shots. Personal preference I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: N2 Shooter
FWIW- We are not all just pigeon shooters on here.

A white blaze on the chest is not an uncommon marking on black bears. As a man with experience it's odd that your conclusion is that it's the same bear.

There is another one out there with a hole in it.
If you notice, I said that the bear had a distinct white mark. That is one of the advantages of hunting over bait. You get to know your bears and target the one that you want. I had been watching this bear for days on the cameras and sitting in the blind watching him for hours waiting for just the right shot. Broadside with near leg forward. I suppose that it is possible that it was my bears identical twin but I don’t think so.
FWIW I did my due diligence for the next week following my nose looking for a dead critter, watching for birds on a carcass, scouring the area for another dead bear. Nothing!

I am not trying to bad mouth any bullets or rifle. Just showing what happened with my gun and this slug. So that maybe we can all be a little more informed.

If you notice, I said that the bear had a distinct white mark. That is one of the advantages of hunting over bait. You get to know your bears and target the one that you want. I had been watching this bear for days on the cameras and sitting in the blind watching him for hours waiting for just the right shot. Broadside with near leg forward. I suppose that it is possible that it was my bears identical twin but I don’t think so.
FWIW I did my due diligence for the next week following my nose looking for a dead critter, watching for birds on a carcass, scouring the area for another dead bear. Nothing!

I am not trying to bad mouth any bullets or rifle. Just showing what happened with my gun and this slug. So that maybe we can all be a little more informed.

I'm saying that you can't drive an all lead bullet fast enough to make it splash on hair. Even if it did, bullet splashes are large shallow holes. Three quarters of an ounce is going to leave a mark :) Bears are known for not leaving much of a blood trail. More power and quick follow up shots should be on hand when hunting tight cover.

As to the blaze. It is a genetic marking and it's probable that you have more than one bear in your valley with those genetics.

The unwillingness to accept the obvious is troubling. Dead or not, you hit the bear in the video (cool vid BTW). If the second bear in the photo didn't have a hole in it from your 45 the evidence is overwhelming and should be uncontrovertible.
It is not the same bear.

No problem. Just joking a little.
So I spent about 2 hours looking for him before it got pitch black. No blood. Came back in the morning and spent about 4 hours looking. Still no blood. Grrrrrrr. Finally gave up and went to the house. Came back in the morning and there were new pictures of him at the bait again.
I have hours of game camera footage of this bear and he has a distinct white chest, so I am sure that it is the same bear.
I finally said enough is enough so out came the 3006. 225 pounds
The bad news is that upon skinning him out, there was NO hole in the hide. I know what you are thinking but trust me, it is the same bear.

View attachment 292727
I've had similar bear at one point(remember it vividly 'cause it was my first hunt with a new scope from local hunting store https://gritroutdoors.com/ but...
Naaah, no way it didn't leave a hole. You might've gotten another bear with your 3006 :D

Last edited: