Bear vs Texan

So I set out a bait this spring for a bear. This was my first time baiting and I really enjoyed watching the game camera videos. I had about 15 different bears visit the bait. I finally picked out the one that I wanted to take but he was not very cooperative when it came to giving me a good broadside shot. Took about 20 minutes of him coming in and leaving before he finally made a mistake. I had plenty of time to get a video with my cell phone. Here it is.
Spoiler alert, there is more to the story.

Right in the middle of the chest. Never give up your hunting spot.
North Central Idaho. Air gun hunting is legal here.

My apologies. I didn't mean give the impression that I was interested in your hunting location. Was wondering which state and general region. You answered that so thank you. Did the slug pass through? How far did it run? Did you weigh it?

No problem. Just joking a little.
So I spent about 2 hours looking for him before it got pitch black. No blood. Came back in the morning and spent about 4 hours looking. Still no blood. Grrrrrrr. Finally gave up and went to the house. Came back in the morning and there were new pictures of him at the bait again.
I have hours of game camera footage of this bear and he has a distinct white chest, so I am sure that it is the same bear.
I finally said enough is enough so out came the 3006. 225 pounds
The bad news is that upon skinning him out, there was NO hole in the hide. I know what you are thinking but trust me, it is the same bear.

DF9E3938-A123-4C2A-9E15-0A1D8CCE445B.jpeg

Last edited:
I was using my stock Texan at 60 yards. I had practiced at that distance and am very accurate. Actually I shot my bait barrel from my blind and put 2 shots in the same hole. All the way through both sides of the barrel.
My theory is that the hollow point was going slow enough to mushroom before it penetrated the skin? I have shot it into mud and got good penetration. Also blows through 3 gallon oil jugs filled with water. This was the first big game animal that I tried but am going for an elk this fall. No more hollow points for hunting.

@hybridvigor For some time I’ve thought that a round nose would work well for a bear. My thoughts are that there may be too much fur and fat for hollow points to penetrate adequately using an airgun. I’d also wondered how a semi-wadcutter would perform. I’ve only hunted them with traditional rifles in the past. Which is why your video piqued my interest. I’d been curious about this for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeronimoKY
365 gr slug , that wouldn't bounce off a bears hide I dont think? especially a second or third year cub (at that weight that would be about its age) , I dont even think that would bounce off a bears hide at 200 yards.
I was using my stock Texan at 60 yards. I had practiced at that distance and am very accurate. Actually I shot my bait barrel from my blind and put 2 shots in the same hole. All the way through both sides of the barrel.
My theory is that the hollow point was going slow enough to mushroom before it penetrated the skin? I have shot it into mud and got good penetration. Also blows through 3 gallon oil jugs filled with water. This was the first big game animal that I tried but am going for an elk this fall. No more hollow points for hunting.

Reactions: Ricochet
@hybridvigor Showed this to my father who got me into bear hunting as a kid. He laughed and said, “I rolled one with a Winchester. Yea they’ll take an airgun round.”

You really think a shot to flesh would bounce off? I could see a skull deflection but youd see remanence of where it ricocheted I would think