Be Careful Loaning Out Your PCPs

Representative of many in this thread.

FE68F2AA-09E0-4B4C-9ED3-6798B6893799.gif

Almost certain loaning out an airgun is illegal in Canada. At least, I don't know a way to do it without formally selling the gun (then having it sold back later).

I didn't know that was illegal in Canada. Interesting. This link says that if it is under 500 feet per second and 4.2 foot-pounds it is not a "firearm" and thus could be loaned out. Was there an "event" that brought about the restrictions on airguns in Canada?

No restrictions in most US states for loaning someone a PB handgun or long gun as long as they aren't a "restricted person".

I soon learned to not loan out anything, as people, or at least the people i was around back then simply do not have the respect needed.

You soon find out who is worth hanging around with, needless to say i have not seen any of those people for decades, CUZ my natural thought pattern is, if you can do " this " then you will probably also do " that "

If i can not have the entire content of my 401 K spread all over my floor and have people in my house, and every dime is there when they leave, well my house are off limit to anyone.
I really can not bother with remembering little or major quirks about people, so either you are allright or you are not.
I can still be with people that are not allright, but needless to say i can not have any relations with such people, at best a common hobby or something like that.

Probably also why i only have 1 friend in 57 years, and i see very little people, CUZ i am very fast in passing judgement, and i will rather be safe than sorry.

I didn't know that was illegal in Canada. Interesting. This link says that if it is under 500 feet per second and 4.2 foot-pounds it is not a "firearm" and thus could be loaned out. Was there an "event" that brought about the restrictions on airguns in Canada?

No restrictions in most US states for loaning someone a PB handgun or long gun as long as they aren't a "restricted person".
Electing Justin Trudeau was the event I believe 😀

It reflects a difference in the lawmaking process. In the States lawmakers decided being a "firearm" was about burning powder to shoot a projectile. In Canada being a "firearm" had to do with shooting a projectile over a certain speed or energy-level.

So for example, NERF guns are legally firearms in Canada, but they're just not ones that require a permit. The Canadian model leaves-open some untested legal issues. Imagine you get a speeding ticket and the police officer sees a NERF gun on your passenger seat. In principle they could charge you with some firearms offenses, just like they do with people who carry sub-500fps airguns in their cars. In court that could result in losing your firearms permit, even though a NERF gun is essentially harmless.

We were quite permissive about firearms until about the 90's when the "Montreal massacre" resulted in lawmakers going overboard. Firearms have since been a wedge issue between our conservative party and all the other parties. I wasn't in Canada through most of the 90's so I missed it. But we went from fairly casual use and transport of firearms (I'd take my grandfather's semi-automatic pistol from his condo in downtown Edmonton to our family farm about 100km away to hunt gophers -- by myself, on my bicycle, as a 13-year old), to a system where you need a license to transport or use a gun. When I returned to Canada it felt like something big and familiar had disappeared. My grandfather used to bring guns to school -- he'd ride on horseback and hunt on the way home.

Last edited:
I learned a long time ago not to lend out my guns. When I was 13 my Dad gave me a new Savage bolt action clip fed 3 shot 20ga. shotgun for my birthday. I kept it in great condition for over 10 years. My Dad died when I was 19 so it was very important to me. Well a good friend of mine ask me if he could borrow it to shoot a coon that was killing his kittens so I said ok. After 3 months of not hearing from him I finally went to get it. When I got there and he brought it to me it had a BIG crack in the wrist of the stock!! He said he had no idea how it got there. he didn't even offer to have it repaired or pay me for it. I never spoke to him again or lent out another gun after that. What made that gun so special to me was my Dad didn't like guns after coming home from WW2 but never discourage me from owning or shooting them. He had been in Battan in the Phillipines in the war and said he had seen enough death.
Years ago when I was about ten years old, my dad loaned the Marlin 39a he had bought for me to my uncle. Uncle let it set somewhere and it developed a rust spot on the bottom side onf the magazine tube which is still visible today, probablyfrom 67 years ago.

Reactions: ba49
I soon learned to not loan out anything, as people, or at least the people i was around back then simply do not have the respect needed.

You soon find out who is worth hanging around with, needless to say i have not seen any of those people for decades, CUZ my natural thought pattern is, if you can do " this " then you will probably also do " that "

If i can not have the entire content of my 401 K spread all over my floor and have people in my house, and every dime is there when they leave, well my house are off limit to anyone.
I really can not bother with remembering little or major quirks about people, so either you are allright or you are not.
I can still be with people that are not allright, but needless to say i can not have any relations with such people, at best a common hobby or something like that.

Probably also why i only have 1 friend in 57 years, and i see very little people, CUZ i am very fast in passing judgement, and i will rather be safe than sorry.
The bolded sentence sums up why I don’t give access to valuable belongings (whether manufactured goods, LAND, intellectual property, or money) to anyone who is not legally allied with me, or alternatively, supremely trusted from long relations that reveal character of the person.

Just about nobody makes the grade. The pushing of allowances—a.k.a., give ‘em an inch and they’ll take a mile—has become normalized in the US. I had no idea that Denmark might be similar in that respect.