BB’s in a PCP?

Why would anyone want to shoot bb from their pcp? One, bb are smaller than .177 cal and they will just roll out. Two, most wont even fit in most pcp magazine. Three, they will ruin your barrel rifling. Good luck ruining your rifling with bbs. Lol. Even my crosman 2100 that is made to shoot bb and pellet, I will not shoot bb from it due to damaging the rifling over time with bb. Use a proper bb gun that has a smooth bore for bb. They are cheap. Most bb guns are under $50. Do idk why anyone would risk damaging their pcp barrels for shoot some non accurate bbs.

They do make lead rounds in .177.

GA-632032454_zm1.jpg

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/Gamo_177_Cal_8_2_Grains_Round_Lead_Balls_250ct/78

Nation, 

BB's WILL DAMAGE your barrel, if they are of the steel, or anodized variety. 

When I was a young'n, all I shot out of my Crosman pumper was bb's. They were cheap. They were plentiful. Semi accurate. One day, shooting pellets out of it, I was discouraged to find it wouldn't shoot good anymore at all.

Fast forward 40 odd years. Still have the gun. Bought a resealing kit, and brought it back to life. Disappointed by how it wouldn't shoot well, I checked the rifles barrel. Well, it once WAS a rifled barrel!! I now have a smooth bore bb gun that will never shoot pellets accurate ever again. I keep it for sentimental reasons, as it was my first gun.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

As the bb's are smaller in dia. not only with they bounce down the bore damaging the rifling, they will hit the rifling at different angles and take on crazy lop sided spin. Not a good idea at all It only takes a hand full to damage the bore.

Also, a bb gun has a magnet in it to hold the bb until released. In a pellet gun, they will roll out the barrel if tilted down. Worse, in many pellets guns, they can actually roll right into the thru port. Wrecking the valve area when it is fired. . GRRRR!!!

KnifeMaker

Nation,

BB's WILL DAMAGE your barrel, if they are of the steel, or anodized variety.

When I was a young'n, all I shot out of my Crosman pumper was bb's. They were cheap. They were plentiful. Semi accurate. One day, shooting pellets out of it, I was discouraged to find it wouldn't shoot good anymore at all.

Fast forward 40 odd years. Still have the gun. Bought a resealing kit, and brought it back to life. Disappointed by how it wouldn't shoot well, I checked the rifles barrel. Well, it once WAS a rifled barrel!! I now have a smooth bore bb gun that will never shoot pellets accurate ever again. I keep it for sentimental reasons, as it was my first gun.

Tom Holland

Field Target Tech
so if i dont care about the rifling in a cheaper air gun like say a 880 would it be ok to shoot bbs exclusively? Once the rifling was worn down would the bbs shoot better since it would now be a smooth bore? And how do the copper coated bbs affect the conversation?

As has been said -

Do NOT shoot BB's out of ANY rifled barrel.
The BB's will ruin the rifling, by bouncing around in the barrel. Pellet gun barrels are fairly soft, especially as compared to fire arms barrels. Pellets are soft lead. BB's are...HARD STEEL ! Simple, where the damage will come from !
If you do much BB shooting out of any pellet gun, you will have a difficult time hitting any target under 5" around with your pellets !

Unless the pellet gun is junk in the first place !!

Mike

I did it for a few years. Many others have also.

I had a Drozd Blackbird with a 500 round magazine. I converted it over to pcp with a Ninga tank and regulator.

It was extremely accurate for a BB gun, short handy and was putting out bb’s at 515 fps.

I once put 3 out of 5 into a small chipmunk at around 8 meters.

Safety glasses are a must.

Regards,

Roachcreek

As has been said -

Do NOT shoot BB's out of ANY rifled barrel.
The BB's will ruin the rifling, by bouncing around in the barrel. Pellet gun barrels are fairly soft, especially as compared to fire arms barrels. Pellets are soft lead. BB's are...HARD STEEL ! Simple, where the damage will come from !
If you do much BB shooting out of any pellet gun, you will have a difficult time hitting any target under 5" around with your pellets !

Unless the pellet gun is junk in the first place !!

Mike
yes yes i know what bbs do to a good rifled barrel. My question was specific to the low end dual ammo guns. ive heard theres barely any rifling on these. Why would these companies sell these as dual ammo if they know just a few bbs would ruin it? Are crosman daisy and all the other companies selling these dual ammo gun intentionally lieing about their product?