• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

BBQ Squirrel for the Holiday

Spartan

Jan 18, 2020
USA
Little Memorial Day grilling. Nice BBQ glaze. Tender and delicious. Mmmmmm Mmmm!! Can't believe some people just leave them for the buzzards and foxes.

From my 2023 frozen inventory since our season doesn't open back up until Sept. Can't wait!

IMG_6765.JPG

@Spartan

I've never BBQ'd them before, any tips or tricks to make them tender? Did you brine them prior?

I always age the parts dry in a ziplock in the fridge for about 7 days before either cooking or freezing. That seems to do a lot for making them tender. For this batch I simmered them on low in some broth for about 1.5 hours. Then brushed with some melted garlic butter and tossed on a hot grill for just a few minutes to add some crisp and char. Little Sweet Baby Rays to finish them and a couple more minutes on the grill. They turn out similar to chicken wings.

Pressure cooker first ?

Not for this batch, but I do use a pressure cooker sometimes. That prob does the best of making them the most tender. Can really get the meat to fall right off the bone with a pressure cooker. But if grilling I like to keep them a bit more firm so just did a low simmer in pot for this batch.

Reactions: beerthief