• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Battle of the power pups!

I put the .25 power tuned Matador head to head against the .25 power tuned Cricket. I was waiting for my Edgun MK2 pellet shipment to show up but they are late. So, I used the MK1’s that I always shoot out of the Cricket. Both are shooting the 34 grainers at 905 fps. I filled both and shot 6 consecutive 5 shot groups from top to bottom and left to right with each pup. No sorting/straight from the tin. No cherry picked groups. This is their first match up against one another. 50 yards with 4 mph wind 53 F. 

The Cricket

The Matador:

E6D17254-B9EC-42ED-9842-2EE5198FAE57_zps4fkskzep.jpeg

Who do you say won? I’ll tell you, it’s a close match up and the results will probably be different the next time. I seem to be the weak link. That one flyer with the Cricket was all me. And the largest group with the Matador was my fault too as I seemed to lose my way on that group. I’m very pleased with the performance of both these power pups. I will take the distance further for their next battle. I must say that I’m more accustomed to the Cricket as I’ve had it longer but I’m beginning to gel with the Matador. 

At their current state of tune; the Matador R3 Long will get 32 shots on reg from a 220 bar fill which is it's max fill level. The Cricket will get 40 shots from a 230 bar fill but can be filled to 300 bar max. I choose to fill lower as anything over 250 bar or so is a waste (demenishing return) due to the reg not being efficient at those upper fill levels. I haven't put them on a scale but the Cricket is noticeably heavier. With the added Sumo both are really quiet especially considering they are putting out 61.76 FPE.

This Matador R3 is a single shot only but the R3M version utilizes a 9 shot magazine in .25. I shoot left handed and do not like the way the magazine protrudes on my side or feels as I try to get a good cheek weld. The "leather looking thing" around the action of the Matador offers a bit more comfort than face on metal and has a foam pellet holder that Velcros on (a previous owner fitted this and looks to be custom). I installed the Huma power tune kit available through Huma or Edgun West. 

The Cricket utilized a 12 shot magazine in .25. I modified the sidelever so that I can comfortably shoot left handed. Just a little relief cut, bend, mig weld and buff. I purchased this pup new from Georgia Airguns with their optional power tune. 

They are both very well designed and robust. They are both also fairly simple to work on, maintain and are proven platforms. 

"knifemaker"Looks as though both did just fine, however, the shooter got a bit lackadaisical on the center targets with both Guns. LOL!!!
Such problems to have!!! :>;)
Knife
Thanks for shooting me straight brother, you must be a fellow Texan ;) Aren’t you expecting a new .25 RS II soon? You’re going to like it. Post up some groups when you can.........

Yes, with the Cricket I got a bit complacent and had a sense of security that allowed full attention to wane! I’ve had better groups with it for sure. With the Matador I’m still learning what it likes. I got it all right on the second group and really screwed the goose on that fourth one. Shook it off and put another good one together on the sixth one. 

"intenseaty22"I really want one of those GA Cricket.25, but I just cannot justify it, can’t really shoot beyond 30 yards at nutters and birds, so Power tunned.25 is overkill for my needs. My Cricket Mini from GA does the job just fine.
I really like what the custom leather cheek weld, gives it a nice look.
I have to agree, if only hunting squirrels and such, the 25 gr JSB is great. Many airguns shoot that pellet well and I really like the mini carbine offered from Kalibrgun.

But if you want it all, lol, there are just a few airguns that shoot the 34 gr JSB at this power and precision. If the shooter can get it together, these two pups are up for it.

"zx10wall"
"knifemaker"Looks as though both did just fine, however, the shooter got a bit lackadaisical on the center targets with both Guns. LOL!!!
Such problems to have!!! :>;)
Knife
Thanks for shooting me straight brother, you must be a fellow Texan ;) Aren’t you expecting a new .25 RS II soon? You’re going to like it. Post up some groups when you can.........
Yes, with the Cricket I got a bit complacent and had a sense of security that allowed full attention to wane! I’ve had better groups with it for sure. With the Matador I’m still learning what it likes. I got it all right on the second group and really screwed the goose on that fourth one. Shook it off and put another good one together on the sixth one.
P.A. Couldn't seem to get the RS, so sub'd a Nova .25. Fine, I like bottle guns! Sadly, it's workmanship was subpar, with a terrible bore. gouges everywhere. GRRRR 

Sent her back yesterday on the 17th. P.A. is warning me that if they find no problem, I will be charged a 20% restocking fee. They would have to be totally blind not to see the issues. Very obvious!
I was told they now, (Finalloy) have the RS II .25 in stock, and will ship it provided the Nova dies indeed have issues. LOL!!!

Beautiful guns Sir!

Knife

"BayStYat"I am interested in the .25 power tune. I like to shoot out to 150 yards. Anyone think the power tune will help?
Absolutely. I haven’t gotten to shoot the Matador at that distance yet. Just got a brake job done today but plan to shoot long distance soon. 

I have, however, shot the PT Cricket at 135 a few times. I was getting 2” to 3” groups with unweighed or sorted MK1’s.