• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Barricade Stop aka Verticle grip aka place to stop the sticks

Yes, only bipods.

Some local matches offer a class that allows anything (tripods too). But it's not recognized by AAFTA. Typically called "Unlimited" or "Freestyle," the only rule is to keep it under 20fpe. So guys use laser rangefinders and clamp in bipods/tripods, etc. It's not a horribly popular class but is a good option for certain people or situations. Both of my boys started in "freestyle" using tripods b/c it helped them support the rifle. The older one has moved into "Hunter" class using a bipod, but the younger is still using a tripod.
correct me if i'm wrong but can a tripod be used as long as you tilt it backwards to become a bipod when shooting?

correct me if i'm wrong but can a tripod be used as long as you tilt it backwards to become a bipod when shooting?

That's correct, tripods can be used in a bipod manner (two feet on the ground only). At least I've seen it allowed at local to me matches.

In the last few years there's been more attention paid to "hog saddles" too. There was a handful pushing the limits and swapping square-based supports onto the top of their bipod. With square shaped forends dropped into square based supports, well the stability benefit is obvious.....Not sure whether or not AAFTA official rules account for it but it's locally (again to me) frowned upon now.

Reactions: cavedweller
It's interesting to see the thought process, and how everybody thinks differently.

I saw a photo of myself in Hunter position once and realized how far back my sticks were. I resolved to move them forward and have since found that having them forward from the trigger as much as possible aides greatly in keeping the reticle from swinging around as much. Wider base=more solid foundation kind of thing. For me anyway.
I’m going to try moving the sticks way forward this weekend and see what happens

Yep. Low seat makes it much easier to get the elbows to the knees.

The true 5 gallon bucket height makes it a challenge.

You won't see a winner in Hunter class with their elbows swinging around in the breeze (or at least I haven't)
So what the hell i thought....
pics of three different height seats and what the body does. look at the tippy toes etc...
Pic one is medium height bucket
pic two is regular 5 gal bucket
pic three is a step up for RV / Truck beds
It is painfully obvious that a BELLY is a distinct disadvantage for SEVERAL reasons.
I'm going to make a real effort to sort out the elbows on the knees posture ASAP!
IMG_7246.jpeg
IMG_7245.jpeg
IMG_7247.jpeg

Yes, only bipods.

Some local matches offer a class that allows anything (tripods too). But it's not recognized by AAFTA. Typically called "Unlimited" or "Freestyle," the only rule is to keep it under 20fpe. So guys use laser rangefinders and clamp in bipods/tripods, etc. It's not a horribly popular class but is a good option for certain people or situations. Both of my boys started in "freestyle" using tripods b/c it helped them support the rifle. The older one has moved into "Hunter" class using a bipod, but the younger is still using a tripod.
The trigger stick tripod in the pictures - is considered legal according to AAFTA BoG members as long as the tripod is tilted to become a bipod when the shot is taken.
This is from 2 different AAFTA BOG members.
I asked for this clarification in writing so no variance would occur when shooting at different matches with different match directors.
Of course if ya aint winning no one complains anyway.

Last edited:
The trigger stick tripod in the pictures - is considered legal according to AAFTA board members as long as the tripod is tilted to become a bipod when the shot is taken.
This is from 2 different AAFTA board members.
I asked for this clarification in writing so no variance would occur when shooting at different matches with different match directors.
Of course if ya aint winning no one complains anyway.
I might be missing your point but yes, tripods can be used in hunter, if only 2 legs are utilized/touching the ground. I call that a bipod. :giggle:

Tripods can be used with all three legs touching for the monthly matches at various clubs here in AZ. I call all three legs touching the ground a tripod. A tripod automatically makes that shooter a "freestyle" or "unlimited" class shooter.

I might be missing your point but yes, tripods can be used in hunter, if only 2 legs are utilized/touching the ground. I call that a bipod. :giggle:

Tripods can be used with all three legs touching for the monthly matches at various clubs here in AZ. I call all three legs touching the ground a tripod. A tripod automatically makes that shooter a "freestyle" or "unlimited" class shooter.
yepr... understand, but some clubs don't allow tripods period even if only two legs touch... old fussy whiny man thing ?

yepr... understand, but some clubs don't allow tripods period even if only two legs touch... old fussy whiny man thing ?

I think a lot of the debate about rules in field target is b/c so many try to push the limits to get an advantage. There are many who walk the line/push the envelope.

Much easier to just practice and kick butt, doing so a long ways from the edge of legal. Problem with being successful on the edge of legal is that many will just think it's cuz of whatever advantages that person has hedged up by being sketchy. Much more gratifying to just win, safely away from the questionable area.

In fact, much more gratifying to win while being as far away from the gray areas of legality as possible.

Good rule of thumb is to not do anything or use anything that you don't see multiple other people doing or using, especially people that have some time under their belt shooting ft.....a "when in Rome" kinda thing. If you're the only guy doing something, or even in the minority of people getting away with something the majority isnt doing, expect it to be questioned, as it should be, in my opinion.

An example is shooting Hunter from a bumbag. I've tried it and it's more stable, for me at least, lower center of gravity thing I believe. In this example it's also legal, to my understanding. But I'd be the only Hunter class guy sitting on a bumbag-just doesn't feel right. So rather than be questioned or people saying I only win cuz I'm on a bumbag, I sit on a stool, like everybody else does in Hunter at the matches I attend.

Last edited:
As a match director, and host of this years nationals any tripods being used will have to either remove, or retract the third leg while on the clock/addressing the lane. So setup, ranging and shooting will be done from two legs only. Simply leaning back to take the shot will not be allowed.
Perhaps this is not the right thread to discuss what 2 different BOG mbrs have recently stated in emails/ writing. I’ll post more info in the FT forum. 👍
My personal take is tripods don’t belong in HFT competition, that said, the one I’m using in my pictures was for my experiment with seat height stability issues, personally I think they suck when trying to address a lane quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: humbled
I think a lot of the debate about rules in field target is b/c so many try to push the limits to get an advantage. There are many who walk the line/push the envelope.

Much easier to just practice and kick butt, doing so a long ways from the edge of legal. Problem with being successful on the edge of legal is that many will just think it's cuz of whatever advantages that person has hedged up by being sketchy. Much more gratifying to just win, safely away from the questionable area.

In fact, much more gratifying to win while being as far away from the gray areas of legality as possible.

Good rule of thumb is to not do anything or use anything that you don't see multiple other people doing or using, especially people that have some time under their belt shooting ft.....a "when in Rome" kinda thing. If you're the only guy doing something, or even in the minority of people getting away with something the majority isnt doing, expect it to be questioned, as it should be, in my opinion.

An example is shooting Hunter from a bumbag. I've tried it and it's more stable, for me at least, lower center of gravity thing I believe. In this example it's also legal, to my understanding. But I'd be the only Hunter class guy sitting on a bumbag-just doesn't feel right. So rather than be questioned or people saying I only win cuz I'm on a bumbag, I sit on a stool, like everybody else does in Hunter at the matches I attend.
Back to the business at hand… barricade stops.
What I’ve been learning through experimentation is a stable stop, on any of my too many HFT rigs, seems to be directly under a scope’s forward bell. Of course results may vary, but it is at this point along the rifle, where weight distribution seems to settle down and the muzzle settles in and I’m not wobbling around nearly as much in the sticks. So @Franklink - your ideas and pics were spot on.
IMG_0319.jpeg

Reactions: Franklink
In an effort to stay on topic, these pics are of me shooting in Hunter Class. Notice how low I get. In this position the Stop is the key to stability. As seen when I'm taking a shot, right elbow rests in the boney pocket just under my knee, while my left hand cradles the stock, the left elbow in the boney pocket just under the left knee. Last pic is of me taking an 46*, 13yd shot, again keeping my elbows on my knees.
20230805_105537.jpg
20230805_105549.jpg
20230805_105554.jpg
20230805_105605.jpg
AAFTA '23-1162.jpg
AAFTA '23-1166.jpg
IMG_20240401_130553.jpg

IMG_20240401_130546.jpg
IMG_20240401_130604.jpg

In an effort to stay on topic, these pics are of me shooting in Hunter Class. Notice how low I get. In this position the Stop is the key to stability. As seen when I'm taking a shot, right elbow rests in the boney pocket just under my knee, while my left hand cradles the stock, the left elbow in the boney pocket just under the left knee. Last pic is of me taking an 46*, 13yd shot, again keeping my elbows on my knees.View attachment 451288View attachment 451289View attachment 451290View attachment 451293View attachment 451291View attachment 451292View attachment 451299

View attachment 451300View attachment 451301
great pics.... lets see how many old futts can still get down (and up) of their butts.

So what the hell i thought....
pics of three different height seats and what the body does. look at the tippy toes etc...
Pic one is medium height bucket
pic two is regular 5 gal bucket
pic three is a step up for RV / Truck beds
It is painfully obvious that a BELLY is a distinct disadvantage for SEVERAL reasons.
I'm going to make a real effort to sort out the elbows on the knees posture ASAP!
View attachment 450177View attachment 450178View attachment 450179
Get that right elbow on the right thigh just short of the knee. You'll be steadier with a "tripod" setup, the bipod on gun, left elbow area at left knee and right elbow area at right knee... Sit low like in the 3rd photo, but with your knees up.
The U-shaped yoke of bipod works great when used with the CF bottle, much better than the V shaped yoke.

Get that right elbow on the right thigh just short of the knee. You'll be steadier with a "tripod" setup, the bipod on gun, left elbow area at left knee and right elbow area at right knee... Sit low like in the 3rd photo, but with your knees up.
The U-shaped yoke of bipod works great when used with the CF bottle, much better than the V shaped yoke.
Thanks