• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Barrel Vibration

I have noticed that the barrel on my PCP rifle vibrates more than what I have seen on YouTube videos. When watching some of the reviews on rifles, one can sometimes not even notice that the shot was fired other than for the report. In my case there is a definite vibration. To make matters worse, the rifle will simply not shoot at all at 100 yards. It is okay at 30 but at 100 it can shoot as big as 3 feet! Yes feet, not inches.

It is a 22 cal. I have tried the 18 grain, 25 grain, 25 grain redesign and 34 grain pellets from JSP. No noticeable difference. I do not have clipping in the silencer - I bored that out a little and marked it up with Sharpie to check for anything like that.

The barrel is free floating so that may contribute to the problem but I have seen other free floating PCP air rifles show no visible vibration.

I have done a simple pull through clean on the barrel with Balistol but that did not help much although I did notice some improvement.

I bore-scoped the barrel and can't see anything jumping out at me.

What could my problem be?

Hard to say not knowing exactly what gun you are shooting. Have you tried shooting it without the moderator?

Power level is also important if you want to be able to get decent groups out to 100 yards.

H&N Barracuda Match would be a reasonable candidate for 100 yard shooting if your gun likes them.

Believe it or not if you try the Crosman CPHP and Pointeds depending on your gun you may get decent results.

Wind is a major factor in shooting at 100 yards. Have you tried shooting on a dead calm day?

CA

maybe you could add a barrel band, or a weight at the end of the barrel, or take your barrel and have cryogenic dipped. Maybe shorten the barrel that will change harmonics of the barrel. There just shots in the dark not knowing what kind of gun you have. Maybe lower the hammer spring and up the psi on the regulator. Maybe you have hammer bounce, maybe you could build a dead blow hammer. Add a oring around the pop valve to limit bounce. Maybe your barrel is loose. Or you could clock barrel to change the mounting.

Good luck

My eyesite isnt too good anymore but I do not recall ever seeing with bare eyes a barrel vibrate. Can you film it? I've seen "muzzle flip" but that's moving the entire rig not just the barrel. So if you clamped it down in a 2 ton vice so the rifle just couldnt move on yours you would see barrel movement each shot? Doesnt sound right, talked with the dealer yet?

John

My eyesite isnt too good anymore but I do not recall ever seeing with bare eyes a barrel vibrate. Can you film it? I've seen "muzzle flip" but that's moving the entire rig not just the barrel. So if you clamped it down in a 2 ton vice so the rifle just couldnt move on yours you would see barrel movement each shot? Doesnt sound right, talked with the dealer yet?

John

The vibration in the end of the barrel was noticeable. I certainly can't quantify how much but it is distinct. Typically I would not be too concerned but I have seen some videos on YouTube where free floating barrels are perfectly still. I am not sure if the vibration is a problem, that is my question to you folks.

Chris

I was reluctant to post the make of the gun as I do not want to bring negative attention to the make or model. But I understand that it does make things trickier to diagnose. It is a Daystate Red Wolf.

I am very new to tuning air rifles. Ask me about 6ppc benchrest rifles and I can tell you more than you wish for. So I am very much in the dark. I am not used to shooting with such thin barrels unsupported for such a length. most all of what I have learned to tune is on YouTube. When a pellet becomes totally stabilised I am assuming it has to do with the twist not stabilising the pellet. It is pretty wild to see.

So I am curious to know if detectable vibration is a red flag? Or is this caused after the pellet exits the crown and the gases forced down the shroud are causing this effect?

I want to get this rifle to work as it is an awesome piece of equipment. The folks at Air Guns of Az are nothing short of awesome but I don't want to feel they have to baby me through this whole process. I want to see if I can resolve the problem with help from YT and forums.

I will ask this question as well - how many people chamber their own air rifle barrels? It is obviously more involved than a centerfire (which I do all the time) with the transfer port, internal o-ring grooves, etc. But I would be keen to know what reamer is used for the throat of these barrels. Has anyone done this?

Chris

As with any projectile weapon using a barrel there will be harmonics issues. As for cambering there is no hard and fast rule for air rifles. Mostly you want a smooth lead-in so when the air hits the skirt you're not forcing the pellet into the rifling. As for making a specific round work well most find a brand or lot of that brand that works the best and buy up as much as they can. I know that some of the Red Wolfs have bad barrels. You need to contact AOA and let them know. They should be able to get you a replacement.

John

First off... for you to actually see vibration is screaming there is something wrong. 

Second, since you told us what gun your referring to, now we might be able to help a bit better... I personally owned a red wolf for a short time and still own a Wolverine R whicH has a similar barrel to receiver interface, barrel and barrel shroud. 

Where I am confused is your reference to “such thin barrels unsupported for such a length.” The barrels Daystate uses on the Red Wolf might not be the truck axel contour barrels we see on benchrest class centerfire rifles, but in the realm of airguns, they are pretty stout and the barrel to receiver interface on the newer Daystate rifles is exceptional. Are you shooting the gun without the carbon fiber shroud on it??? You should have a roughly 1” carbon fiber, full length shroud surrounding the steel barrel that helps to stiffen the whole barrel. If the shroud is missing and your shooting with the raw barrel exposed, that may cause a problem. If you have the gun assembled correctly there is absolutely no way there should ever be “detectable vibration” without super human eyesight or something really really wrong like the barrel flopping around loose in the receiver. At 100 yards I would expect that rifle to shoot groups ranging from 1”-2” depending on the shooter and conditions I hope you get it worked out, that’s a beautiful piece of equipment

Is the gun acting overly loud? I had brief accuracy issues when I damaged my breach oring from cleaning with patchworm. You might have nicked the breach oring during cleaning. The gun was then really loud while shooting.

You have a five year warranty on that gun and should take advantage of it. I personally think that it was a bad idea to bore out the suppressor as this would be a good reason to void your warranty. However, I hope that they are lenient on you for this.

Tell us your groups at 50yards with redesigned pellets they should be .50 an inch. If it's not close to half an inch I recommend following through with Daystate's 5 year transferable warranty and sending it for repairs. 

Also the red wolf's usually have adjustable power settings. What power setting have you shot the different pellets at? I can tell you shooting high power with 18.1 gr is usually a bad idea with the redwolf.

Also, the barrel is easily removable. After removing the carbon fiber shroud via two set screws there are two more set screws that hold the barrel to the block. These two set screws are located on the scope dovetail rail. After removing these set screws the barrel should easily pull out for a good cleaning and inspection. I wouldn't polish the barrel as most polishing and lapping should have been done in the factory. Especially since these lothar Walther barrels are probably a bunch of $$$. Take extra note of the breach oring when removing the barrel.

I am shooting with the shroud on. Have tried it off as well to ensure the shroud was not the problem.

It is not unusually loud. Very normal sounding.

The barrel is very secure - no movement there. I suspect that the vibration is caused simply by some incompatibility between barrel, velocity, pellet that is causing the vibration.

i have a FX Impact which shoots inside an inch at 100 yards in decent conditions so i do have a comparison although the Impact is a 25 cal, not 22.

I do see a number of scratches behind the lead which concern me and one tiny little indent with raised lips - sort of elliptical shaped. I could post a photo. The transfer port looks burr-free which is good. 

Please offer all or as much information up front rather than posting bits here and there, seemingly when you feel it relevant or necessary. It helps us to help you. The more details we have and the bigger picture we see, the better. 

:)

Also, don't be afraid to mention manufacturer or distributor, you have no obligation to protect them in any way. Rather they have a responsibility to stand behind their product. They should be willing to help you with any problems rather than denying you because you mentioned where you got it or what brand it was.

And please don't hesitate to post pics!

:)