• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Barrel Tuner - On An AIRGUN!

Barrel tuners are very popular in the rimfire and centerfire worlds as they allow you to harmonically tune a rifle with a set velocity by moving a weight at the end of the barrel back and forth, instead of changing velocity (with more/less powder etc.)

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with using one of these on an air rifle, meaning you wouldn’t have to tune using HST/Reg set point but instead by unscrewing a weight at the end of the barrel. 

There is a few I’ve come across with some allowing moderators to be used and some with weights for rimfires or centerfires. 

If you have had any experience with anything of this sort I would love to hear about it (weight of your setup, threads etc. And if it had any noticeable difference in groups once setup)

I cannot see why one wouldn’t work if it was the correct weighted and would save a lot of hassle with guns that aren’t externally adjustable

Links to a few I’ve come across:

https://erikcortina.com/tuners

http://www.ezellcustomrifles.com/home-3/pdt-tuners/

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrell-rimfire-tuners-403

Yes they do work Vortek accuracy tamer all steel muzzle brake around $40 - $50 when they were sold a long time ago and discontinued.

You can do it with your thread on LDC and experiment with different thickness nylon washers sand them down to alter thickness then epoxy or lock tite the LDC permanently onto the gun barrel threads with the proper shim once you get best accuracy.

It's only for the accuracy nut cases who need 1/4 inch or less at 50 yards and sub 1/2 inch at 100 yards most don't need or care for that kind of accuracy since they constantly keep unscrewing their LDCs off and on their guns regularly anyway. Even removing the barrel and or shroud for cleaning screws up the harmonics that's why U only use pull throughs and never ever remove my barrels and shrouds and my most accurate guns I never remove their LDCs that I locktited. That's why AZ never makes threaded LDCs it hurts the accuracy constantly screwing them in and off.

Harmonic tuning with a variable barrel tuner would work on an air rifle. They aren't seen much, because the rifles are relatively more tunable than their rimfire counterparts, which are limited by the ammunition constant. Through pellet choice and fine tuning power, one should be able to find the rifle's potential. Of course, some rifles are much more easily tuned than others. I notice that AirForce is now making a variable weight system, which will affect both balance and harmonics. I would not be surprised to see more use of barrel tuning devices in the growing sport of longer range bench rest competition for air rifles. 

IMG_20200806_203300_605.1611670785.jpg
IMG_20200506_165305_227.1611670785.jpg

I have made muzzlebrakes for both of my guns and there is also harmonic tuning rubberball called limbsaver for AF line of guns. 

They work on air rifles, too. As already stated, you can tune an air rifle velocity to minimize your vertical spread, but tuning weights can be used in conjunction to change the frequency of vibration to something more favorable than the naked barrel. This Beggs type tuning weight is on a thread so it can be moved fore and aft. This barrel is .900” diameter.

Mike 

391145FE-3FA5-40B2-BAEA-5A4FA598EFCC.1611674192.jpeg