FX Barrel Tensioners - How well do they work really?

So I’m gonna start my own testing in 25 cal, shooting slugs at 900+ FPS.

The reason I ask is because I’ve watched a fair bit of the RMAC videos and the North Eastern Airgun Comp. From what I can tell, the guys shooting bench test competitions are still shooting with the factory shroud.

I would suspect that in a competition where sound doesn’t matter; why are they all using the factory impact shroud over the tensioner?

I have both so gonna try them out both to see what I find.

Feedback is welcome.

Reactions: frankie
In my opinion the greatest benefit is stability. Fx barres tend to be flimsy and have poi shifts. I have a crown and a maverick and I have them both tensioned. This has helped with consistency and to eliminate poi shifts. The dynamic/panthera has compressed air around the barrel which stabilizes it and has the same effect as tensioning.

Reactions: Bandito
So I’m gonna start my own testing in 25 cal, shooting slugs at 900+ FPS.

The reason I ask is because I’ve watched a fair bit of the RMAC videos and the North Eastern Airgun Comp. From what I can tell, the guys shooting bench test competitions are still shooting with the factory shroud.

I would suspect that in a competition where sound doesn’t matter; why are they all using the factory impact shroud over the tensioner?

I have both so gonna try them out both to see what I find.

Feedback is welcome.
My guess would be harmonics with the shroud on vs off.

I have used a lot of both tensioned and shroud, without going into deep specifics, the tensioners do change the harmonics and that is not always good, especially with pellets! I only use them with slugs now on a couple of impacts with good results, this is the nugget on them, IMO, you must inspect them for being true, I have seen several that the hole is not even centered, also, If they are true and concentric? Then face them in a lathe and be careful about the tension, not to much, it is not hard to defeat the barrel clamps, mark the spots when done and be careful when removing your moderator when warm, if it comes loose? Start over cause it’s changed for sure! So they can take a little time to get right? Also be prepared for more noise, the shroud takes a lot of noise out! All of that being said, the .177 700mm tensioned barrel is a great one, have set up 4 or 5 for people and they have all been great!slugs only. Good luck👍🏻

The idea is to eliminate barrel tension , stress to obtain accuracy...... not induce it !!

The Barrel tensioning kit is a band aid for a flawed system...

Yes, best accuracy has always come from free floating barrels free from tension and stress.

However every system has some flaws, while FX design has flaws and the tensioned barrel is also a bit of gimmick if you don’t hunt, the entire system is more than adequate under original design goals. With the increase of power of newer versions FX had to address some of the design to accommodate the added power and longer barrel. Someone can solidly attach a bull barrel to the action and gain accuracy but it would be very heavy.

Edit: so the answer to OP’s question is yes, it does work well for hunting and prevent POI shift. But it does not make the gun more accurate.

Last edited:
I think this says it all for me. 100 shot group at 100 yards with free floating barrel.
Sure its not just any air rifle but if tension barrels were better Mike would be using them

I think its one of those add ons that can be an improvement, same or cause an issue. Depends on whats going on with the rifle and if the parts are all square and torqued to a point the system likes. I added one to my impact when I decided to try slugs. I never shot slugs with the impact without the tension kit so I have no comparison for my impact but its been very accurate with it. I just got done getting scope cam shooting at 85 yds on starlings and a ground squirrel across multiple days, locations and weather from 70 degrees and dry to 40 degrees and pouring rain. It performed great.

As soon as my slugs come in for .25 cal I will be turning my other impact into a slug gun as well. This one is getting setup with the factory shroud. I will see how the .25 does with slugs and standard shroud. It will have the inner carbon fiber liner but thats the only non stock part it will be using.

Reactions: dens228
The idea is to eliminate barrel tension , stress to obtain accuracy...... not induce it !!

The Barrel tensioning kit is a band aid for a flawed system...
I know the Dan Wesson powder burner pistols used to be particularly popular for pistol competitions back in the day specifically because of their barrel tension systems apparently they could dial in the harmonics by adjusting the barrel tension til it grouped the tightest. That’s what an old timer told me anyway.