• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Barrel Shroud Tension on Hatsan Factor RC

First post. Hello!

With a shroud tensioned barrel (liner) how does one consistently replicate the tensioning amount of the barrel if it has to be removed for whatever reason?

Edit: I ended up using a witness mark on the shroud, lined up with another witness mark on the action. So far that seems to get me back to the best shooting tension amount, as long as the barrel doesn't slide forward!

Last edited:
For the curious - A movement of about 1/8" tighter from just "snug" to "perdy tight" @ +/- 5% tolerance ;) on the shroud cut my 50 foot groups shooting Crosman CPHP 14.3 gr, off a rest with a 16x UTG scope from 1/2" to 3/4" for 5 shots to consistently under 0.30" with several groups under under 0.20" CTC.

The logo on the shroud moved out of factory alignment and the vent hole is now visible at about 8:00 when viewed from the muzzle rather than at 6:00 before. Neither of those is a problem for me. I could see having the shroud vent hole near the top in a rainstorm could be problem, so that is something to be aware of when outdoors.

I can instantly tell if the barrel (liner) has slipped forward under the increased shroud tension by the reduction in the amount of resistance when inserting a magazine. That was what alerted me to the fact that the barrel had moved when I was originally playing with shroud tension after removing and installing the barrel for some burr cleanup. I do want to figure out a way to at least double the clamping strength on the barrel breech. The easiest I can come up with is to add a second set screw opposite the existing one. Of course that would void my warranty, so I will probably wait until the gun is over a year old before trying that. If I do end up drilling a new hole for a set screw, the location will be critical so as to not break through an air channel. I would also like to add a steel, threaded insert to the hole(s) for the barrel retaining setscrew(s) for a more durable setup. Repeatedly turning and torqueing screws in aluminum tends to create slop in the threads over time.

Last edited:
Remember...not...TOO...tight. you'll pull the barrel out of the receiver !

Mike

Definitely! I learned to watch out for that the first time I removed the shroud and barrel. That is one reason I would like at least two set screws holding the barrel in the receiver, so I can get more barrel tensioning with the shroud without the barrel sliding out. One would assume that two setscrews would nearly double the holding strength.