• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Barrel seasoning new Springer before firing?

I'm VERY NEW to air rifle world, but I'm hooked on springers!!! I've been shooting a Benjamin Prowler in .22 mainly(also have Gamo Hornet, no where the gun the Prowler is!) practicing my Artillery Hold. I can cover 15 shots with a dime at 10 yds, so I ordered me a Diana 34 . 22( the next step up for me). I have e seen a lot about having to "" season " the barrel on the cheaper Chinese Springer. My question is so I need to do this a German made Diana 34?

When people talk about "seasoning" cheaper barrels they for the most part talk about the natural process of wearing down/removing imperfections in the barrel such as rough spots or burrs. This will naturally occur as you shoot hundreds of shots which will eventually smoothen it out to a degree. You could possibly look into jb bore paste which essentially acts as a fine sandpaper for your barrel. Using the patchworm system with patches coated in the paste will likely provide substantially faster results. Other than that like stevev said just shoot the thing. 

Shoot, shoot, shoot! That’s how you “Season” a barrel. 😁

It’s funny I think of this term more for powder burners. In a springer I think it’s more of the spring and internals settling in. Don’t worry too much about groups just get 200-300 down range.

34’s are great guns, I like the choice of .22 cal. 

I would also recommend a tune kit. These Diana’s are pretty easy to work on. I’ve had great results using Vortek drop in kits.

Congrats and enjoy. 

When I buy a new rifle I clean the barrel and after. I take a patch with some turtle wax on it and run it through the barrel using the same patch 20 times. I repeat this process twice then clean the barrel again. turtle wax has a super fine abrasive that will remove any snags or burrs left over from the manufacturer. it's made all my rifles both air and PB shoot great from the start. with a PB I'll do this six times instead of twice because of the differential in metal hardness. 

Many of you will say I'm crazy but it works.

Take a look at this thread..... https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wax-and-gun-bores/

The guns that I have done this to require far less "break in" shots.

I mentioned this in that other thread.

" Interesting! It was mentioned in another thread that some waxes contain abrasive particulates that smooths out burs, rough spots, etc: Wouldn't firing a hundred shots or more with harder non lead alloy pellets accomplish the same thing ? The wax embedding in the microscopic bores of the bore definitely sounds beneficial. I think I might even have a can of Mothers wax in my closet. I would assume using automotive rubbing compound might also work to condition the bore ?? "

Take a look at this thread..... https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wax-and-gun-bores/

I mentioned this in that other thread.

" Interesting! It was mentioned in another thread that some waxes contain abrasive particulates that smooths out burs, rough spots, etc: Wouldn't firing a hundred shots or more with harder non lead alloy pellets accomplish the same thing ? The wax embedding in the microscopic bores of the bore definitely sounds beneficial. I think I might even have a can of Mothers wax in my closet. I would assume using automotive rubbing compound might also work to condition the bore ?? "

Yup works on PB's and airguns .

Ed you and I aren't crazy it's been done for years and it works.

Well don't have to worry about seasoning or shooting right now. Pyramid Air, and Airgun Depot have both sent my money back. No 34's in stock after they both told me they had them. It's funny I reckon , Uncle Sam didn't have this much trouble putting a rifle in my hands and letting me have at it... Thanks for ALL the great amazing advice guys, I'll have to use it later I hope, THANKS AGAIN!!!