Barrel question 22 cal.

I don't know how thick or ridge these barrels are so that's why I'm asking the below question.

When looking at my Daystate Huntsman Revere barrel shroud #42 I notice that it's just floating in the barrel band part #41 and has some movement, if the end of the barrel #24 is attached to the shroud thats able to move does that mean it can move the barrel.

The reason I'm asking is if my bipod mount is wrapping around the shroud and if the mount was to move the shroud will that move the barrel and affect accuracy, or is the barrel very ridged and can't move, and is the shroud just floating.

IMG_4282.1641759040.JPG

IMG_4243.1641759066.JPG

Barrel band just has a little bit of clearance so the shroud and barrel cannot move too far to Change POI. That way you can lean the gun up against a tree or some thing and it won’t move the barrel too far to able to do that. It doesn’t hurt if the shrouded barrel moves just a tiny bit because it will go back in it’s rested position once the pressure is off of it.If that bipod clamp is mounted tight to the air tube, I think you will be OK.That being said, you don’t want that clamp to be able to move. It would Be better for the bipod clamp to not even touch the shroud and only the air tube though (just like the factory barrel band is )in my opinion.On mine the barrel band just barely touches the Shroud it’s self. I could loosen the barrel band and just move it slightly so it would not touch at all but I don’t have any problems with accuracy issues. So I just leave it alone. Some people like Barrel bands and some don’t. Mine doesn’t clang around either when I bump it. Some guns if you bump the barrel it will change POI.And that’s why I prefer them on some of my guns.

I removed the band from my Revere, got tired of hearing it rattle with each little bump or movement. I don't know why they put a band on it, it's not supporting anything. And yes, the barrel will move with the shroud, because of the air stripper attached at the muzzle. I prefer not to clamp anything to either the cylinder or the shroud, it's another variable that will affect harmonics. Since the Revere is not a benchrest rifle, I just use a Harris bipod and sling swivel stud. 

Thanks for all the replies, they are all helpful.

As mentioned, if you bump the gun the shroud rattles against the barrel band and that tells us that the barrel has flex and movement, and that movement should change POI. I wonder why they don't put an o-ring between the barrel band and the shroud so there is no movement.

Oh well, I guess Daystate has been building these rifles for decades so who am I to question their design, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

I think I will remove the bipod mount and test the POI without it and see what my groups look like. It's all trial and error right.

thanks again 👍

Thanks for all the replies, they are all helpful.

As mentioned, if you bump the gun the shroud rattles against the barrel band and that tells us that the barrel has flex and movement, and that movement should change POI. I wonder why they don't put an o-ring between the barrel band and the shroud so there is no movement.

Oh well, I guess Daystate has been building these rifles for decades so who am I to question their design, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

I think I will remove the bipod mount and test the POI without it and see what my groups look like. It's all trial and error right.

thanks again
1f44d.svg

If the assembly of your rifle is like mine, the barrel shroud floats within the barrel ring, which is why you hear the rattle. It's also clear evidence that the ring is doing nothing. I suppose that is better than having it in contact with the shroud, as that would be placing uneven pressure on the shroud, since it could only contact it on one side. And no, placing an o ring or anything in there would only create another point of possible harmonic interference. As with many rifles, IMO, the barrel needs to float, as mine does, with or without the barrel ring. So I removed it, and the rattle, and it is one of my best shooting rifles. I suppose Daystate might say that the ring is there to protect from a substantial impact. But, it is at no greater risk than my other rifles without such a contraption. Also, should the rifle sustain a large bump at that point, there is the chance of the ring shifting on the air cylinder, in which case it would prevent the barrel/shroud from returning to its centered position. I brought this up to a tech at a major Daystate distributor, and he agreed, said just remove it. So, I believe the answer to "why", is tradition. Apparently, some of the folks at Daystate believe the ring adds to the aesthetics of a traditional sporter-style rifle. On my HW100, there is a similar ring, but it is firmly attached to the stock, and offers support to the air cylinder, and there is sufficient clearance around the barrel to prevent interference, or rattle. Maybe an example of English vs. German engineering, form vs. function?

When shooting powder burner rifles this is not even an issue because the barrel isn't moving anywhere, it's solid steel, its part of the gun and isn't going to flex. This being my first air rifle I'm not familiar with the engineering, design aspects, or harmonics of an air gun so I guess I better start searching and reading. I'm assuming the barrel band is there to protect the barrel in case you were hunting and slipped and fell, and the barrel landed on a object with your weight behind it, it would stop the barrel from serious damage. But yes I get your point, it's not doing anything, just for safety of the barrel/ or aesthetics.

Does anyone know why a PCP is not designed like a powder burner rifle, if you took a 22 rim fired rifle and was able to convert it to a PCP why wouldn't it shoot the same as a rim fired bullet? Do all manufactures of PCP barrels flex, and what is the importance of the barrel being able to flex?

I think you may be mixing up two different things. Harmonics has to do with the way a barrel vibrates when fired. And they all do, regardless of weight and manner of attachment. But it's just something that is theoretically the same with each shot, so it's only an issue at the extreme precision end of the game, where tuning devices are used. The barrel band here, is simply a manner of attachment to the rifle, or could be, if it were actually attached. If you don't mind the rattle, leaving it on certainly does no harm. 

And, based on my experience, if the occasional rattle bothers you, the band can be removed without negative effect. If the band is not in contact with the barrel shroud, then you have the same thing now. The way Daystate uses that band, I'm reminded of the old saying, "the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem". Glad you have it shooting well, it's a great rifle.