• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

barrel polishing..

would it be safe to polish an airgun barrel with this? we use this in ultra deep vacuum chambers typically below 10(-9)Torr,(the -9 is supposed to be an exponent).

image.jpg

would it be safe to polish an airgun barrel with this? we use this in ultra deep vacuum chambers typically below 10(-9)Torr,(the -9 is supposed to be an exponent).

View attachment 447247
I use 400 grit clover (new barrel after basic cleaning patch) on a patch/jag ....... so this is 10x finer.
The (400) clover only needs to be used 1 time to smooth out any aberrations in the barrel. Maybe 20 strokes is all that's needed.

I'm not sure how many barrel strokes would be needed to properly dress it with a 4000 grit patch?

After I use clover, I clean out the clover and wax it. When accuracy drops off re-clean the barrel with something like JB non-embedding paste on a jag or Goo Gone on a patch pulled through with weed wacker line .............. then re-wax.

The popular J-B bore compound is about 1000 grit, and quickly breaks down into smaller particles. For the typical new barrel (to the extent there is such a thing), J-B is what I regard as the finest abrasive that makes sense to use.

Many barrels will benefit from something coarser but if you’re new to the practice, I think J-B or something similar is a reasonable place to start to get acquainted.

The popular J-B bore compound is about 1000 grit, and quickly breaks down into smaller particles. For the typical new barrel (to the extent there is such a thing), J-B is what I regard as the finest abrasive that makes sense to use.

Many barrels will benefit from something coarser but if you’re new to the practice, I think J-B or something similar is a reasonable place to start to get acquainted.
I've seen barrels that I think would benefit from valve-lapping compound... (that's (mostly) a joke folks, please don't use valve lapping compound.)

GsT

If it's made for high vacuum environments, I suspect it's completely and utterly safe for your airgun. It's probably not going to polish sh*t*, but it won't hurt anything.

GsT

* to do any meaningful polishing you need to start with a more course abrasive. Or be prepared to make 10,000 strokes...
lol. it’s a notos barrel and it’s already good as is but i feel like i can make it better.. i can’t stop thinking everything can be made better. haha is that ocd?

precisely why i’m looking at this diamond 4000 grit. i know it can clean edges without too much material being removed. i’m afraid i’d end up removing too much metal with anything more course. this would be my first time doing this. the barrel itself is already good but i feel it could be better if it was mirror clean throughout.

Last edited:
too much is relative .. 4000 will basically do nothing, you need to start with 400-600 to cut coarsness out of most gun parts/barrels at a reasonable pace .. then of coarse you can finish with something fine, anything over 1000 is kindof a waste of time, we're not dealing with match grade lab equipment parts here ... that material you have may or may not be suitable as an application medium though, depending on how well it can be utilized ..

too much is relative .. 4000 will basically do nothing, you need to start with 400-600 to cut coarsness out of most gun parts/barrels at a reasonable pace .. then of coarse you can finish with something fine, anything over 1000 is kindof a waste of time, we're not dealing with match grade lab equipment parts here ... that material you have may or may not be suitable as an application medium though, depending on how well it can be utilized ..
you have a point
🤔

Reactions: boscoebrea
When polishing in a bore, for an even pressure running all the way around the bore as well as keeping lengthwise evenness, I use 3M abrasive sheets and long cotton bore mops. Choosing the appropriate grit needed based on the initial condition of the bore, a measured piece gets wrapped twice around a cotton bore mop wetted with oil and stroked through as necessary using a cleaning rod with ball bearing handle to follow the twist rate. The micro fine grits will polish to an even, mirror finish far better than I've seen with JB Bore Brite.

Here's a link to the multi-grit packs I buy:

Be sure to use a rod that freely rotates to follow the spiral of the rifling. The goal is to have the compressible material take on the profile of the bore and scrub everything, especially the inside corners of the rifling where lead is particularly prone to abrading and sticking.

Isn't there a risk of smoothing the rifling sharp edges?
The intention is to remove miniscule amounts of metal - think of it as the undesirable debris left from any machining operation. To that end, you use abrasives which are so mild that actual, destructive, damage is pretty much out of the question.

GsT

Reactions: Firewalker