Barrel Polishing Reason

I have a new 177 cal crown been having it a week have cleaned the barrel 3 or 4 times today i shot about 300 rounds the accuracy was definitely off by the end of the shooting session i was setting up the scope for FT next weekend the 1st 2nd & 3rd patch had ballistol on them and you could see flakes of lead in the patches. Would this be a good reason to polish the barrel?

patches2.jpg

my gun I think shot the same befor and after but I do think it helps get out all the burs or anything that might hang up a pellet , I did only start the rod from the breach end and ran it all the way out the muzzle , about 10 times so not to over do it and ran a few cleaning patches after to make shure it was all clean after

Yes, polishing the bore can significantly extend the time between which cleaning is necessary. It also makes the barrel easier to clean when the time comes.

If shooting pellets, you can also apply a hard wax to the clean bore and extend the time even further.

First thing I do when accuracy isn't there is push a pellet down the barrel checking for tight/loose sections. If I find that I polish until it is diminished or eliminated. Last week I did the pellet check and found two tight spots in my barrel. One close to the breech and the other about 3" from the muzzle. I bore scoped the barrel and sure enough I had two bad rust spots building up. JB Polish removed the marks and the next pellet pushed through uniformly.

You can see where the lead was being shaved and adhering to the barrel. Normally I will have to do this about 3 times to get it all.

Terminator barrel.jpg

Reactions: peebrainz