• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Barrel Length

Advantage of longer barrel you can tune for more power or more shots. Disadvantage is, it's longer duh. So not as compact to carry around. More likely to bump the barrel onto something like the ground or a tree and shift poi. Also longer means you will have barrel droop. Personally I prefer shorter barrel but with the hype of the 700 mm. Everyone is jumping the longer barrel bandwagon. Do you really need a 28in barrel? Most firearm used 16-20 in barrel and they shoot just fine. The 600mm is 24 inches which is plenty. 

Advantage of longer barrel you can tune for more power or more shots. Disadvantage is, it's longer duh. So not as compact to carry around. More likely to bump the barrel onto something like the ground or a tree and shift poi. Also longer means you will have barrel droop. Personally I prefer shorter barrel but with the hype of the 700 mm. Everyone is jumping the longer barrel bandwagon. Do you really need a 28in barrel? Most firearm used 16-20 in barrel and they shoot just fine. The 600mm is 24 inches which is plenty.

"longer means you will have barrel droop" "MOST firearms used 16-20 in barrel"

IMO, nope.

longer barrel of an air arm does not mean more FPS as does a powder burner.

powder continues to burn while in the tube thus creating acceleration.

air arms air pressure diminishes...longer barrel with diminishing pressure equals more friction which in turn slows the projectile.

👴

It would be dependent on the relationship between power plant volume and barrel, would it not? "With diminishing pressure" seems to be the key and could be an issue with a firearm as well, could it not?

If I had to choose between a long say 24” and short say 18” barrel I would choose the longer barrel every time. Over many decades I have learnt that the longer barrel provides more accuracy consistency. I don’t know why, but it is what I have experienced.

Many will disagree with you, especially the "every time" part. Seems a large part of the reason a longer barreled gun can be SHOT more accurately (not necessarily be inherently more accurate) is the increased sight radius allowing more consistent/accurate aiming. I recall a very long barreled Remington .22 rifle I had as a boy. It was very easy to shoot it extremely accurately. I was probably a lot more steady at that age as well and HV .22 ammo could offset some of the possible stability issues. If anything is a smooth firing stable gun, then the length probably does help to a point. IMO, one of the reasons the Walther rifles (LGU/LGV) shoot so well for so many is the relatively heavy weight keeping the platform more stable while the pellet moves down the barrel to exit. Similar with the Pro Sport in my view-a very smooth firing platform with a relatively short barrel allowing the pellet to exit with minimal movement of the muzzle. Seems directly related to the sub-12 ft/lb vs. magnum springer issue. Certainly could be all wrong but it's what seems logical to me.

My Field Target rifle ZM2002 Anshutz has a 14 1/2" barrel. When the action is clamped in a Bridgeport Mill, it will have same hole at 45 yards indoors.

I have yet to do the same with my Steyer 110 BUT they both shoot the same. A Thomas rifle is direct competition AND the Thomas barrel is short because the same barrel/kit can be used in pistol class competitions. Perhaps someone can post the Thomas barrel length, I can't remember.