Tuning Barrel length vs velocity

I do believe that someone like Motorhead has posted up a formula dealing with that question.

Maybe it was Ackuric, Or Akuric, or something similar as a screen name?

I do believe that there is a point of diminishing returns that goes with the barrel length issue that has been spoken on as well.

The place to inquire would be over on the GTA, and pose your question in the Bob and Lloyds Workshop forum. You will probably learn more than you ever realized you never wanted to know.

I read the first 2 links and they were pretty complicated stuff. At the end of the 3rd link there was a post showing the difference between a 50 and 45 cm barrel The post showed it took 10 bar more pressure in the 45cm barrel to reach the same velocity as the 50 cm barrel. But they don’t say the velocity of 45 cm barrel to start with. I’ll bet though it follows in line with Odoyles observations. 

With springers and gas rams there is a sweet spot where an maximum velocity occurs because of the balance between drag and available power. Sometimes shortening the barrel on a springer will give you more velocity. 

On my TalonSS with a 12" barrel in .25 and .20 I observed there was a maximum achievable velocity and no matter how much more air I dumped I had basically hit a wall. The 24" .22 barrel shoots faster than either of the 12" barrels and uses less pressure and less air to do it.