• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Barrel Groups, slug liners, and Fx Impact MK1

Gentleman,

I need advice and information. 

I have an original Fx Impact that slings .25 cal Jsbs at 950 fps and their thrown very accurately! Love the gun and love the performance. That being said, watching Bob and Matt sling slugs through there's and contending with little wind, I find myself wanting to get a hold of a .25 cal barrel group and slug liner. So my question is this, is it worth it to pay the money for the barrel group and liners and specialty ammo? If so where can I get ahold of barrel groups and liners? 

Any input is welcomed and I appreciate anything and everything you send my way. 

Thanks and God Bless

Eric

Gentleman,

I need advice and information. 

I have an original Fx Impact that slings .25 cal Jsbs at 950 fps and their thrown very accurately! Love the gun and love the performance. That being said, watching Bob and Matt sling slugs through there's and contending with little wind, I find myself wanting to get a hold of a .25 cal barrel group and slug liner. So my question is this, is it worth it to pay the money for the barrel group and liners and specialty ammo? If so where can I get ahold of barrel groups and liners? 

Any input is welcomed and I appreciate anything and everything you send my way. 

Thanks and God Bless

Eric

What length is your .25 barrel ? All you need is a .22 slug liner, .22 barrel inlet and pellet probe... may cost $150 total.

I have been struggling with whether or not to convert to slugs and cost is one reason that I am struggling with this decision. I have been thinking about buying another impact in mk11. I pest at several farms but i seldom get shots over 80 yards and I can do those with pellets.

Not needed probably if you shoot under 100, over that it will depend on the wind

22 has lots of power from the Impact. I've been shooting 59fpe with 30gr slugs.....135yd shots with wind are only marginally challenging. 

I just tuned the Impact this evening for 26gr slugs (51fpe) and visited a local farm for an hour. 10 starlings at 60 yds with 5mph direct crosswind and just held crosshairs.

Mine shoots 26, 28, 30 and 31.5gr slugs very accurately. I would say 22 is more than enough for birds at long range. Gun is super quiet and efficient with the 26gr slugs.... incrementally louder and hungrier for air as you go up. 

I'll shoot the 25cal slugs once I get the barrel kit and liner from FX. But I don't know if I have a practical use for that much power. I hope to find some woodchucks and ground squirrels this summer, but even the 22 will do just fine on them unless I was to shoot out to 200yds on them.

At this point, I don't see how you could go wrong with a 22.

Correction, I've found a 500mm barrel not 600mm

500mm is too short to use anything heavier than 21gr, which aren't ideal due mostly to how short they are.

I have a 700mm, shooting 940fps from whichever weight I use.....I turn them all for that speed and they are all stable and accurate.

If 600mm barrel, I would shoot the 23 or 24gr slugs from NSA or Varmint Knockers.

Will I have anything to worry about with it being a MK1? 

Same worries that you might have on the ImpactX, that is basically more power. As reference only, you need (considering weight ) with the 0.25 cal and 33.9 gn mk2 should fly @ 940 fps or so. As for the 0.22 940 with the monsters 25gn. Since 920-950fps is usually the best spot for slugs. Usually reg @150 (or get the huma reg for more pressure). If is first gen you might want to change the probe screw too. Suggestion call fx USA and maybe Ernest can make the magic.

Or get the mk2, was made considering slugs

You already have the required speed, so buying a new STX barrel liner from FX is all you really need to start shooting slugs. It should go right in place of your current ST liner, using the same caliber of course. Then just buy an assortment of slugs from Nielson Specialty Ammo https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com in the different weights he offers to test and tune. If it doesn't work out you can still use the barrel for pellets, and be just as accurate or more so.