Tuning Barrel droop?

It's a tolerance stack up issue during manufacturing.

The people that believe it's to make the open sights work better, answer me why do some guns have it and some don't?

The real FIX is to simply bend/nudge/adjust the barrel upwards. Easy, free, and simple to do.
exactly what is a nudge ? .002 ? .0003 ? .10 ?

It is a calculable figure but not very practical to measure. The way I approach it is to mechanically center the scope and then tweak the barrel and fire a couple of test shots to check the POI. Then just sneak up on the amount of adjustment needed until the POI is pretty close to the crosshairs.

It is a calculable figure but not very practical to measure. The way I approach it is to mechanically center the scope and then tweak the barrel and fire a couple of test shots to check the POI. Then just sneak up on the amount of adjustment needed until the POI is pretty close to the crosshairs.
Exactly it 👍

Reactions: Deerstalker
It's a tolerance stack up issue during manufacturing.

The people that believe it's to make the open sights work better, answer me why do some guns have it and some don't?

The real FIX is to simply bend/nudge/adjust the barrel upwards. Easy, free, and simple to do.
The HW98 is what has barrel droop in this case. How does one “adjust” the barrel upwards without damaging it or causing wandering POI problems down the road? Doesn’t the lockup mechanism have strict tolerances?

You're bending the barrel upwards and not changing anything with the breech block or lockup mechanism.

It wont cause any lockup issues and it won't move over time. It takes a bit of effort to get it to bend in the first place.

I would remove the barrel, put the breech block in a padded vise, and simply pull on the muzzle end. You'll feel it give a little and you're done.

The HW98 is what has barrel droop in this case. How does one “adjust” the barrel upwards without damaging it or causing wandering POI problems down the road? Doesn’t the lockup mechanism have strict tolerances?
Chances are your cocking linkage is binding on the breech block. The last new 98 I tuned had this. To fix it you have to put a slightly bend in cocking arm. This happens to lots of 95 family guns since 2019. I've probably fixed 6 or 7 for people.

20221104_092648.jpg

20221104_104544.jpg

20221104_190124.jpg

Yeah, I haven't seen this problem (or bent barrels upwards w/o further investigation), but by removing the cocking arm from either the receiver/block and inspecting for barrel/block positioning changes ....... You should be able to see/measure lockup differences.

I would rather bend the cocking arm than the barrel;).

Reactions: fishing43
Yeah, I haven't seen this problem (or bent barrels upwards w/o further investigation), but by removing the cocking arm from either the receiver/block and inspecting for barrel/block positioning changes ....... You should be able to see/measure lockup differences.

I would rather bend the cocking arm than the barrel;).
maybe a file to clear that inside corner ?

Reactions: fishing43
This may be a dumb question, but...if you take the barrel off the gun, how do you know when the barrel has been bent up or down without putting it back on the action to test? Seems like a lot of work to just keep putting it on and taking it off just to test if you have "bent it enough"?
Yes, ......................... working on or upgrading airguns can be time consuming:p..... but you will learn how to tweak problems(y).

If you have a large droop problem, bending the cocking arm seems warranted, but you need to check if this is the solution.
Marginal changes can show big results.

Saving time can mean cutting corners .... ie skip potential cocking arm issues -> just bend the barrel upwards and shoot until reasonable POI is achieved. Bend small amounts at a time ...............

Last edited:
Reactions: lonedave
The cocking arm binds on many late model 95 family guns. If the cocking arm can't be wiggled with the gun closed, its binding. It'll create droop or vertical stringing. The solution is to bend the cocking arm up at the midsection so the shoe end is about 4mm higher. I wrote this all up on another forum under my Bayman login and the thread was called Holy barrel droop batman. It took a couple of pages before I figured it out. It's all there though.

I have no problem bending a barrel. I do it all the time. You need to make sure everything else is working as designed.

The cocking arm binds on many late model 95 family guns. If the cocking arm can't be wiggled with the gun closed, its binding. It'll create droop or vertical stringing. The solution is to bend the cocking arm up at the midsection so the shoe end is about 4mm higher. I wrote this all up on another forum under my Bayman login and the thread was called Holy barrel droop batman. It took a couple of pages before I figured it out. It's all there though.

I have no problem bending a barrel. I do it all the time. You need to make sure everything else is working as designed.
Thank you Ron, much appreciated for all of us members. You’re answers are always appreciated!!