• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Barrel Crown”””

I'm sure there will be lots of informed responses to this question by many. My understanding is that a crown is cut to set the rifling surface end point below the end of the barrel outer diameter, ostensibly to prevent damage to the rifling if the muzzle is hit by something. There are different types of cut crowns of varying depth and degrees. Hunting crowns seem to be more of a rounded crown much like what you would see in pictures of those done using a brass bolt and lapping compound using a hand drill. Choked barrels are something I know very little about so I can't speak to those other than to say there is a wide variety of choked and unchoked barrels and probably just as wide a variety of opinions on them. You can't tell by looking that a barrel is or isn't choked, at least to my knowledge.

dcr, 

A hunting crown is where the crown is recessed significantly from the end of the barrel to provide a bit of protection to the the lands and grooves from the inevitable bumps and bruises a hunting rifle will endure.

A target crown is not recessed, with the end of the barrel being cut at a flat 90 degrees from the bore, or recessed slightly, affording little protection to the lands and grooves.

Attached are a couple of pics that should help you see what I'm talking about. One is a hunting crown I cut on one of my rifles (black barrel), the other (stainless barrel) is flat, target crown.

A choked barrel is simply a barrel where the bore is of a slightly smaller diameter at the muzzle end than it is at the breech/chamber end.

Justin
1551311879_19023271805c7724075fd7e6.38954515_68_crown_3__80582.1502079123.jpeg
1551311879_20619949955c772407e3efb1.97219849_20190205_141546.jpg

Hi they about covered it as far as angles and bullet type ,There is usually 3 sets of crowns ,one is 0 degree , one is 11 degree and one is 45 degree ,so the crown must be square to rifling and must be sharp with no imperfections it doesnt matter if it is 11 , or 0 , or 45 degrees what matters most is that it is square and sharp as the bullet must exit exactly same time and no gas leaks as it can affect poi , and flight and rate of spin ,

Ohh Just 1 thing I have found with PCP slugs I have tested accuracy with slugs with different crowns , and I can say for sure 0 degree crown is best crown for a flat type slug , rebutted botails seems to like 11 degree or any angled crown , LOU