Barrel cleaning

My second generation benjamin marauder .25 is about two years old now. From the time I've own this gun, I've only cleaned the barrel twice. The first time I got the gun, I ran some patches through the barrel to get out anything that might be in there. I cleaned the barrel the second time only because it's been so long since I done anything to the barrel even though I didn't see any loss in accuracy. Since the second cleaning I haven't touched it because I haven't seen any lost in accuracy. It will shot half inch groups at fifty yards all day. My disco in .22 is a different story. After about 200 pellets, I have to sit down and clean the barrel. I've never own a .177 pcp but I did start with a .177 break barrel springer and from what I can remember I use to clean the barrel often. Maybe once a month. My question is does the larger the caliber equal less barrel cleaning? I have never own or shot a .30 caliber or bigger before so I wouldn't know if a larger gun then mine requires less barrel cleaning. Logically, from the guns I've own, I would say a .50 requires less cleaning then a .45, a .45 requires less cleaning then a .30, and so on.

Depends on multiple things. The twist rate of the barrel, lead content in the pellet, shape of the pellet,quality of the pellet, even the rifling in the barrel etc. The caliber plays a minor role as compared to the other variables I mentioned. Even the fit of the pellet plays an important role. Tighter pellets leave more lead behind. The variables determine how much lead does the pellet actually leave behind in the barrel and how much of the lead actually causes accuracy to get impacted over time. I have owned a Hatsan .177 and a bobcat . The Hatsan I've only cleaned once in 2 years. The bobcat I've never cleaned yet. Both these guns I use JSB pellets. The condor is also a gun I've owned which I had to clean regularly since I used a variety of pellets in it.

Reactions: travels4fun
I do know that 17 cal powder burners require more cleaning than similar guns in 22 cal. I agree with FearnLoading and add several more variables. From my experience reloading pistols soft bullets and higher velocity will lead up a bbl. quickly. I can run pistol rounds in the 700s with no issues. Crank it up to 1000+ and you are going to have to break out the lead remover. Lubed or not can also make a major difference. As a matter of practice I clean my 25 Marauder every 500 shots for good measure.

fearnloading, I think we clean our guns about the same intervals. I only clean my pellet guns when I see a lost in accuracy. My rim fire and center fire rifles I cleaned the barrel after every shooting session. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same cleaning cycle times. One barrel cleaning per year seemed like a long interval to me

The type of Ammo might have something to do with cleaning schedules. Some pellet brands will make your hands look like you've been working on your car and others not nearly as much. I use JBS, Crosman, and H&N pellets most of the time and very little lead rubs off. So, do cheaper pellets foul barrels faster than premium brands? If so, it would be another reason to clean more frequently.