• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Barrel cleaning

you have smelled others gym shoes lol just kidding, ballistol and patch worm with the felt pellets best iv used
Ive shot benchrest for over 30 years all kinds of disciplines, I have good shooting clean barrels and see no need to use something that makes me consider that I might be being subjected to gymshoe sweat, or even jockstrap cheese.

I keep my springers out in the garage "I know Springers" if I bring them out of the AC house they sweat. So I keep a flannel rag damp with Ballistol in a zip lock bag and wipe ever thing when through. No smell on the flannel rag. I keep Ballistol in a squirt/drip bottle and the smell seems to dissipate a little.
I keep my rifles in the house, upstairs or down, doesn't much matter... I clean at the bench outside or inside either one, doesn't much matter... I don't worry about the smell because ballistol never gets closer to my house than the nearest gun store. In fact, I actually spill a little Hoppes #9 or WD-40 occasionally just to keep the range smelling nice.

Arzrover tipped me off on gunzilla, very good for stripping actual lead fouling from your bore (this stuff will actually show you how much lead you have in your bore!)
Another vote for Gunzilla here.

Bob ( Arzrover) was working on my Safari and I had inquired about cleaning solvents. Have used WD-40, Ballistol and Gunzilla. Gunzilla does pick up visible lead sediments, more so than Ballistol. All three are good to use, but I switched to Gunzilla for regular Patchworm cleaning.

As of late, since I have couple Thomas rifles and the breach is totally accessible, Ive been cleaning using a pair of pro-shot stainless rods, one with nylon brush and the other with an aluminum jag. I use Hoppes #9 and I've been experimenting with a pre-lubing solution that keeps the barrel well lubed and doesn't allow lead to stick. So far so good. You have to be very careful though, doing it this way, not to ding up the breach end of the barrel... I really hate pulling plastic wire and if I don't have to I won't. Also I think it's a good idea to make a sponge type thing to catch drippings that squeeze out of the brush or patch.

Last edited:
As of late, since I have couple Thomas rifles and the breach is totally accessible, Ive been cleaning using a pair of pro-shot stainless rods, one with nylon brush and the other with an aluminum jag. I use Hoppes #9 and I've been experimenting with a pre-lubing solution that keeps the barrel well lubed and doesn't allow lead to stick. So far so good. You have to be very careful though, doing it this way, not to ding up the breach end of the barrel... I really hate pulling plastic wire and if I don't have to I won't. Also I think it's a good idea to make a sponge type thing to catch drippings that squeeze out of the brush or patch.
You need lead to stick to lead the barrel, or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Reactions: pbike257
Our local group of benchrest Springer shooters have found out cleaning with dry patches only, every 200 to 300 rounds keeps accuracy consistent and 2 or 3 pellets to foul after cleaning. Most of us are also current centerfire benchrest shooters and tend to obsess over cleaning, lol. I found since going to this my groups have been consistently very good.

You need lead to stick to lead the barrel, or am I missing something?
Lead in the barrel is a lubricant, but it also gathers more Lead and this becomes a vicious circle until it is no longer a good lubricant. Putting a better lubricant in the barrel to keep the lead from gathering like I'm doing prohibits lead from sticking in the barrel.

Reactions: Stone02
Lead in the barrel is a lubricant, but it also gathers more Lead and this becomes a vicious circle until it is no longer a good lubricant. Putting a better lubricant in the barrel to keep the lead from gathering like I'm doing prohibits lead from sticking in the barrel.
Well I clean my Barrels when accuracy starts to drop off. Then they are all over the place for about 50 shots depending on the barrel. I shoot several guns but my HW77 that I use most can go a long long time before it needs cleaning and even then it usually turns out to be not the problem.:)