• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Barrel cleaning vs Chronograph

Lobi

Feb 11, 2023
Michigan
I'm not real smart or educated so take the following with that grain of salt.

I have an old springer BSA Supersport in 22cal. I've owned it a long time and never cleaned the barrel. Decided to chrono it, clean barrel and chrono again. I used Crosman Primere hollow point hunting pellets that are not labeled but assume they are in the 15gr range.

After a few shots to stabilize I got the following string 596,632,630,626,624 for a 621 average with a 36fps spread.

Cleaned barrel with solvent and vigorous brass brushing. Ran many dry patches thru her to try and remove any lubricating effects left behind.

Went back out and shot a few shots that started high and quickly came back down. Removing any applied lubricants? Then recorded the following string 615,615,617,616,620 for a 616 average with a 5fps spread.

The first shot on the dirty barrel is an outlier and if ignored brings the spread back down from 36 to 8fps.

Dirty barrel was faster in this case but slightly less consistent. Possible (probable) issue that could contribute to dirty being faster is that I shot it a few days ago with vicks vapo rub packed in the tail end of some pellets. Tried to erase this issue with a dozen or so shots before recording the initial readings. It was slowing down over those first dozen shots and when it seemed to stabilize, that's when I started writing em down.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

I have an old springer BSA Supersport in 22cal. I've owned it a long time and never cleaned the barrel. Decided to chrono it, clean barrel and chrono again. I used Crosman Primere hollow point hunting pellets that are not labeled but assume they are in the 15gr range.

After a few shots to stabilize I got the following string 596,632,630,626,624 for a 621 average with a 36fps spread.

Cleaned barrel with solvent and vigorous brass brushing. Ran many dry patches thru her to try and remove any lubricating effects left behind.

Went back out and shot a few shots that started high and quickly came back down. Removing any applied lubricants? Then recorded the following string 615,615,617,616,620 for a 616 average with a 5fps spread.

The first shot on the dirty barrel is an outlier and if ignored brings the spread back down from 36 to 8fps.

Dirty barrel was faster in this case but slightly less consistent. Possible (probable) issue that could contribute to dirty being faster is that I shot it a few days ago with vicks vapo rub packed in the tail end of some pellets. Tried to erase this issue with a dozen or ask shots before recording the initial readings. It was slowing down over those first dozen shots and when it seemed to stabilize, that's when I started writing em down.

Thoughts?

Friction and fouling. Friction brought the speeds down and the fouling makes the speeds consistent. Very much normal from my experiences.

Reactions: Lobi
dont got time to stuff vaporub in my pellet
Vapo-rub cures the slowness you feel with the common cold.
18.21gr Baracuda Hunters went from 590 to 805fps. An impressive jump from 14.07 fpe to 26.19 and as a bonus made me giggle.
I'd be tempted to keep some pre-packed for furries except the bsa mostly sits in the rack with a new lady getting my attention and I'm only running her clean.

So you are intensionally Dieseling your Gun and then wonder why things are all fuzzy?
:rolleyes:
Well, the dieseling was from another discussion from another day. I only mentioned it because I realized that I possibly had traces of the vicks left in the barrel that might affect pellet speed via lubricity.

I don't think the results were fuzzy at all and expect that boscoebrea nailed it with a dirty barrel being a tighter barrel. I was actually surprised at the small amount of difference that showed up on the chrono on a barrel that hadn't ever been cleaned in over 20 years.

You got me on fuzzy tho except it's my old brain not the numbers

Last edited:
Ok here it is I got a chance to run a dirty/clean barre l: Crosman 2289 shooting Crosman Piranha 14.3 gr with 5 pumps. Uncleand barrel 6 shots first one to warm up the barrel 401-393-391-393-391-and 388FPS. Cleaned the barrel with patch only (28 passes) no cleaner same 6 shots 386-390-384-386-385-and 388FPS. Then while I was at it I went ahead a oiled the o-ring and pump. No surprise with the results same 6 shots 409-401-403-402-401 and 400 FPS.

Uncleaned average 392.8 FPS
Cleaned average 386.5FPS
Oiled average 402.6 FPS

Well I learned from this little experiment that cleaning does reduce FPS. The FPS spread is similar. Oiling the appropriate rubber increased the FPS. The results are pretty similar from what Lobi had. I can't speak on the accuracy since I only shot at the chronograph in the garage.

Ok here it is I got a chance to run a dirty/clean barre l: Crosman 2289 shooting Crosman Piranha 14.3 gr with 5 pumps. Uncleand barrel 6 shots first one to warm up the barrel 401-393-391-393-391-and 388FPS. Cleaned the barrel with patch only (28 passes) no cleaner same 6 shots 386-390-384-386-385-and 388FPS. Then while I was at it I went ahead a oiled the o-ring and pump. No surprise with the results same 6 shots 409-401-403-402-401 and 400 FPS.

Uncleaned average 392.8 FPS
Cleaned average 386.5FPS
Oiled average 402.6 FPS

Well I learned from this little experiment that cleaning does reduce FPS. The FPS spread is similar. Oiling the appropriate rubber increased the FPS. The results are pretty similar from what Lobi had. I can't speak on the accuracy since I only shot at the chronograph in the garage.
Man these number threw me for a heck of a.loop until I reread that you were only using 5 pumps😅🥴
Mine runs about 490@10pumps with the piranhas
*I dont think I've ever cleaned that barrel🥴

Man these number threw me for a heck of a.loop until I reread that you were only using 5 pumps😅🥴
Mine runs about 490@10pumps with the piranhas
*I dont think I've ever cleaned that barrel🥴
At 10 pumps I'm getting right at 500FPS 12 pumps (the most I've pumped) 522FPS. I'm sure you shoot a few times at 10 pumps and refresh it with some oil and you'll be at 500FPS. The 2289 is awesome I still have to get a steel breech so I can put the scope on. I'm thinking Im going to have better luck with the 2289 with the scope over the 2300S, the CO2 pressure fluctuation makes shooting it at 25 yards not so much fun.

At 10 pumps I'm getting right at 500FPS 12 pumps (the most I've pumped) 522FPS. I'm sure you shoot a few times at 10 pumps and refresh it with some oil and you'll be at 500FPS. The 2289 is awesome I still have to get a steel breech so I can put the scope on. I'm thinking Im going to have better luck with the 2289 with the scope over the 2300S, the CO2 pressure fluctuation makes shooting it at 25 yards not so much fun.
Seeeee that THAT!😅 that's what's I've been thinking/ experiencing too for pumpers/break barrel vs c02/pcp.
I'm still searching for a super consistent median

Reactions: Simplemann

Dirty barrel was faster in this case but slightly less consistent. Possible (probable) issue that could contribute to dirty being faster is that I shot it a few days ago with vicks vapo rub packed in the tail end of some pellets. Tried to erase this issue with a dozen or so shots before recording the initial readings. It was slowing down over those first dozen shots and when it seemed to stabilize, that's when I started writing em down.

Thoughts?
Yes but you're not going to like them. that brass may have done a number on your barrel. How were the groups afterwards? Try a bit of a lubricant in the barrel, like bees wax, I use bees wax furniture polish LIGHTLY on the pellets, some on a microfiber towel then dump the pellets on and rub, GENTLY, you can tell when they are coated, see if that helps.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Oh man I just reread the post. I'm literally scared to run any metallic brush down any of my pellet slinger barrels; pbs is a different thing altogether and thats why i have metallic brushes😅🤷‍♂️ but for pellet slingers...
I only use the mop head(1st with lots of oil)and patches(2nd; I oil the first patch and run it a few times then switch to dry patches until they come out clean)
That's it...🤷‍♂️😅🥴
If I had more tinkering area I would experiment with it more though.🎩🤙

that brass may have done a number on your barrel. How were the groups afterwards?
Don't millions of people use brass (or bronze or whatever) cleaning brushes to clean their gun barrels? Why does every cleaning kit come with them?
Didn't do any group shooting after. Only shot thru the chrono into the dirt.
Seems like any lubricant in the barrel would slowly dwindle with every shot as the pellet scraped down the bore. Not worried about speed in this old girl. She's been out out to pasture to live out her days and been replaced for varmint duty. I just used her for the experiment because the barrel had never been cleaned. Amazingly, the difference was surprisingly little.

Don't millions of people use brass (or bronze or whatever) cleaning brushes to clean their gun barrels? Why does every cleaning kit come with them?
Didn't do any group shooting after. Only shot thru the chrono into the dirt.
Seems like any lubricant in the barrel would slowly dwindle with every shot as the pellet scraped down the bore. Not worried about speed in this old girl. She's been out out to pasture to live out her days and been replaced for varmint duty. I just used her for the experiment because the barrel had never been cleaned. Amazingly, the difference was surprisingly little.
On Pew-Pews YES on airgun barrels, I've heard NO., the metal is softer than a Pew-Pew from what I've read. I f'd up my Sapsan barrel, just using a really SOFT 'mop',for a better term. Air guns aren't using high/hot pressure so a touch of lube doesn't hurt, I read, that the real competitors use bees wax, I don't get carried away with it, all I can say it doesn't seem to hurt and the barrels come cleaner faster. YMMV I use a light touch of Mobile One in my Pew-Pews to keep the rust away. I do use a Pew-Pew cleaner/Lub with patches on my airguns.